Pass along important imformation that they will regret not getting. Can be anything like a reward for everyone wearing full uniform at the next meeting to bring a swimsuit to the next meeting because you are going swimming.

I'm sure others can give ideas as well.

This could also be a sign that they aren't getting anything important from the meetings and your agenda might needs some changes.

Barry

The troop I serve recently had the same problem, the same 4-5 scouts showed up to the PLC while many of the patrol leaders did not. A two pronged plan was put into effect.

The scouts asked me to do a scoutmaster minute, in the past I have led the singing of Happy Birthday to You on February 22 to both Lord and Lady Powell and when the Troop had a meeting on Dec 7th, I asked them to remember their granparents role in the war amoung other thought provoking ideas. They asked I do something on PLC attendance. At the end of the next meeting I asked the whole troop what they thought if a US Senator didnt ever go to Washington, if the US president never showed up to work. What would happed if Congress didnot do anything. They all laughed and turned thumbs down and giggled, I then reminded them that election to the PLC meant those scouts were to represeent their patrol members in the PLC, the place got quiet quick

After I agreed to the scoutmaster minute, I also then told the ASPLS (we have 2) and the SPL that they had to make the meetings interesting, stick to an agenda and control the group. My talk lasted 3 minutes (you know how scouters streetch time frames), it took a lot longer to keep the PLC on task. But, with coaching and support the meetings got more organized and patrol leaders started showing up. So now attednace is up.

First ensure the meeting dates/times are posted on a troop calendar and that each member of the PLC has a copy. Your SM could also ensure that each PLC member knows that attendance at PLC meetings is a part of their job for POR requiremnt for advancement. You might also ask the PLC what they want for agenda items and bring minutes of previous meetings. They might feel that they have no input so why come anyway. Keep your meetings simple and to the point at first, then improve and expand them as you need. I do this with our SPL, ASPL, PLs after each troop meeting, we do a quick debrief, what went right or wrong. Things are still fresh in everyones mind and feedback is more acurate and helpful.

Our troop dramatically increased attendance at PLC meetings when we moved them to an hour and 15 minutes before the first meeting of the months, and included pizza and pop for all the boys who attend. The boys don't need to plan for another meeting (Monday is already reserved for Scouts) and pizza and teenage boys is a natural attraction.

Elizabeth

We follow the 3 strikes your out rule with most of our positions. We give the plc members responsiblitys like having to plan for something and if they are not at the plc then it is their responsiblility to call each one of us and explain what he wasnt there to tell us.

NO ONE Misses the meetings now!

-251scout

Somewhere along the line the expectation has been set that its okay not to show up. The SM and SPL need to reset that expectation.

Each PL needs to be aware that this is part of their position of responsibility and they are expected to attend. If they cannot make a meeting, then they need a very good reason. If that night has recurring conflicts for them, then they should not seek to be a patrol leader. When we start our PLC meetings, roll is taken. Anyone that is not there is immediately called to find out why they are not there. In some cases, it was simply forgotten (and the parent drives them over within 10 minutes). A couple of phone calls usually helps to get the message across that attendance is important and absences are being noted. Like Elizabeth, we do the pizza thing but that's not what brings them...it is just a 'reward' for serving their troop and patrol.

Good luck as ASPL.

I agree with everything Semper is saying, but I think most of our replies are based off the assumption of a well-planned and wel-run meeting. If the meeting is just repeating what everyone already knows, or is run so poorly that nothing gets done, then you have a different problem. The meeting first has to have a purpose where the scouts see a value.

What do your meeting agendas include?

Barry

No surprise here, I'm agreeing with Semper and Barry. First, make sure that you set the expectations ahead of time. We do this by handing out job descriptions of all positions before the elections. Then, the scouts sign a sheet detailing the posiitons they are interested in. They sign an agreement stating that they understand the requirements and will meet the obligations of the position.

Second, as Barry pointed out, if the meeting is useless, the boys won't come no matter what you do. So work with your SPL to make sure the meetings are well-run and meaningful.