Name that adult patrol...

OK, guys, fess up. What is the name of your adult patrol?

Geezer patrol?

Dunlop Patrol? (patrol flag clearly showing an adult with what dunlopped over the belt...)

What's the best name y'all ever saw? Because I want to steal it.

julia

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might start a controversy, not that I have never done that before, but over the years I have been involved in 5 different troops and none had an adult patrol per se. This was by choice. Each of the units felt that it was important to leave the youth features of scouting with the youth. That we didn't want to infringe on thier program by imitating it as adults.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with units that have adult patrols names. I have seen some clever ones. But I have also seen it lead to adult patrols competing against scout patrols in a number of different ways and that lead to real problems. By not forming the adult patrol in the first place that problem never arose.

That being said we do an honorary patrol for parents who come on their first overnighter with the boys. It is called the Grumpy Bear Patrol and comes not with a patrol medallion, but with a very tongue-in-cheek certificate, Although we function as a separate patrol on campouts, camp separately, plan our own menu etc. We do it more as a quiet example of patrol method then anything else.

Bob

We're the Geezers, and just like Bob says, we try to do everything we do as an example. Want to eat like the geezer's do? Plan a better menu. Want to have more time to have fun or just sit and relax? if there are 10 people in the patrol, and all 10 do 15% of the work each, it's amazing how mush time is left for fun.

We go so far as to bring issues up at the PLC (very rarely, but occasionally). We don't normally attend, but if we have someting to bring up (as in the hypothetical instance I described in another thread about adults bring pop), we woulld ask for a few minutes of the meeting.

We also hold our "Patrol" meetings in front of the Troop every once in a while. go through all the motions of having a disagreement, and showing how the acting PL resolved it, and how he makes the point when someone failed to take care of his responsiblity (once we intentionally left our campsite un-policed so we could use it as an example of how the PL can handle it at a Patrol meeting).

We have never even considered competing with the real Patrols. In most cases, we would embarass ourselves.

Mark

Rockers - symbol of a rocking chair but we like to believe in the rock 'n roll motif.

As with others, we don't compete, we lead by example (at least that is our intent). We've met some resistance to patrol identity (the boys like to do most everything as a troop) so the adults formed a patrol and made a flag, do our yell and grace before every meal, cook and clean as a patrol, etc. We never compete (skill sessions, competitions, etc.) against the youth unless they are specific in asking us to compete in Ultimate Frisbee or some other endeavor.

We are a fairly young troop (wrt boys age) so they need a patrol as a role model IMO.(This message has been edited by acco40)

The "Old Goats". We function as one on outings, but do not compete with the Scouts or diminish what they're doing. Patrol organization helps with workload sharing, rosters, communication, etc. Just what we tell the Scouts, and modeling it reinforces it for them. It'd be nice if our Venture patrol were the model, but they've got a ways to go on that...

KS

OK, I cannot conceal it. My whole idea of naming the adult patrol is to try to get the adults to focus on their own knitting so that they will get out of the boy's way. I can't imagine competing with the boys as such, although if they choose to take it as a challenge that our tents are up before theirs and our area looks neater than theirs, that is perfectly all right with me. We don't really have a functioning patrol with elected leadership.

In our troop we're the "Geezers". We use the rocking chair patch.

And the adults don't interfer with the youth.

With one exception...About a month ago the youth were having stretcher races. After the races, the youth challenged the adults. We got beat pretty bad.

One thing I forgot, that I think is kind of funny: Our Patrol yell.

With as many adults who are close by, forming up to stand in a line when a Scout asks an adult a question like "What time is diner?", we all turn around away from the Scout and say calmly, " I don't know. Ask your Patrol Leader."

Mark

Our adults are called the Crak'd Pot patrol. Our totem is a cracked dutch oven...long story.

We do not compete but try to set the example for the other patrols to follow.

Our camp chairs are "sacrosanct (sp?)" and targets for the boys to vie for. Mine is the chair of many colors and is a high prize.

Trying to get the other leaders to agree on a patrol motto and yell but that will be coming in time.

yis