As 732 pointed out....the "Perfect" troop is 32....

Does any one know of a troop that hits that and stops taking members????

Or do you know of a troop that limits their size and has membership requirements such as attendance???

Attend 3/4 of the outings and meetings a year or your out????????

We have a local troop that caps at 80 - that is all their meeting hall can handle. We regularly get spill over from them, and our Troop is has around 70 on the books plus a Crew.

As for Patrol Sizes, we have kept it to 5 patrols. Some patrols get to 14+ members, but that just means that they get a sold 8 on a given campout.

Yah, sure, I know troops that "cap" in some way or another.

Sometimes by modulatin' recruitin'. Sometimes by creating a wait-list.

Yah, sure, I know troops that have participation requirements to remain on da roster.

Yah, sure, there are even overlaps between the two! :)

Generally speakin', if yeh want to strengthen and grow your troop, da universal formula is to set high expectations for members, and higher expectations for recognition and leadership. Then you're sure to have an active and exciting program with confident lads and proud parents, and you'll attract all kinds of additional members. Plus, when you're really too big and yeh have other folks who are anxious to get in, it's easier to be firm with problem-case folks.

Mostly, though, troops tend to grow to da natural size that their adult leaders can accommodate. Once they get bigger than that, they "leak" boys until they return to the edge of their natural limit. That natural limit is usually a bit bigger than their "do the best job" size. So I tend to be an advocate of troops limiting membership, because it both leads to a better experience for the youth (and adults!) and because it helps avoid unnecessary loss of boys "leaking" out when a troop gets too big and da individual lads get lost.

An area where a troop is hittin' its limit while there is still more demand is an area where da district should be lookin' to start a new troop. In fact, that's the only area where they should be really lookin' to start a new troop.

Beavah

>> So I tend to be an advocate of troops limiting membership, because it both leads to a better experience for the youth (and adults!) and because it helps avoid unnecessary loss of boys "leaking" out when a troop gets too big and da individual lads get lost.

Actually what I pointed out is what B-P said. I think it's whatever works for the unit.

Unfortunately I have seen large troops overwhelm other units and run them out of business. And don't tell me about a good program is what makes a troop. One of the major influences in making these big troops is that all the boys go where everybody else is going. The kids nor the parents know good program from bad and think Webelos 3 is normal.

I know a SM a few towns over who is absolutely the best SM I've ever met. He is a retired park ranger and knows everything about scout craft, animal, plant identification etc. He's great with scouts too. He's strict but the boys really learn from him. I've seen him in action since I always invite him and his troop of 3 Scouts to go to summer camp with us. My guys think the world of him. He teaches half of my First Year Camper program at summer camp. If he replaced me my troop would be far better off than it is now!

I asked him last summer what happened to his troop of 3, which a few years ago was about 25. He gave me a few reasons why his troop was ready to fold:

1. The pack at his CO folded.

2. There is a one other troop in town which has over 100 boys, all the boys want to go there where their friends are.

3 Mega troop's CO has a large pack.

4. SM and a CC mom are really the only adults working the troop so there's no one to help with recruitment (much less anything else).

5. Lack of cooperation and access to the other pack which wants/strongly encourages Webs to go to the mega troop.

Eventually this troop will fold and this SM who is a tremendous asset to BSA will leave the program. He has an open invitation to join my unit but it would be a 40 mile round trip for meetings.

The other thing that I've seen over the years (and I've been at this for a long time) is that these large troop don't stay big forever. They eventually start to loose members when some other troop starts gaining membership. This usually has something to do with adult leadership changes.

So if the small troops can hold on and have the assets or ability to keep plugging along they might be able to turn things around. But I think there also comes a point when you get below a certain number and there's nothing you can do to turn things around, then it's time to fold.

The above is just my opinion and does not reflect upon anyone else here or their units, which I'm sure are all great units!

There is a certain economy in size.......

One of our Neighboring Packs and Troops folded a month ago.....I spoke briefly with the SM and the CM about our program and costs and such.....They elected to go to the mega pack and troop down the road....

They provide a free program thanks to a couple of business men who buy $20k worth of popcorn from each of them every year.

While I would like to see our troop grow I hope it never gets much above 30.

As a SM, who almost had to fold a troop, then two years at 24-32 boys, to now 55+, each level has its own problems, worries and strengths.

Someone here said "Quantity has a quality of its own".

That is true, to a point.

The perfect size is what the SM/CC/ASM's are willing to commit to.

I think Troop size is based on a myriad of factors.

Recruiting.

Fun program (or the Boys won't stay)

Boy led program, or Boys will have no desire to lead in the Troop.

Personal relationships between Scouters and Scouts. Kids gotta feel the Adults care about em.

Consistancy in Adult leadership change overs.

Enough Adult volunteers for the Troop size.

Trained and Experienced Adult Leaders.

My Troop is about 40 active Kids, and 50 kids total. (roughly). We have 1 Scoutmaster, 4 Assistant Scoutmasters. A strong group of Former Eagles and Former Scoutmasters who volunteer from time to time when they can. Various other positions like Popcorn Coordinator, Summer Camp Coordinator, and of course a CC.

Personally I think 50 is pushing a bit on the large side. It's hard for those of us who are name challenged to learn Scouts names, or personal information about them. That hurts the dynamics of my 4th point above.