Each year, my husband (our son's DL) does something special for his boys. Last year, he handed out slides he made from paracord at Christmas, and for their welcome back in August, he made leather water bottle holders and personalized them.

This year, he made them bear claw necklaces for their welcome back. Not sure what he's doing for Christmas yet.

• 2 months later...

Our troop has long used a bull or buffalo neckerchief slide (plastic, but nice) as a way of rewarding the Patrol cook who cooked the best dinner on a camp out. However, stock is running out. I have searched the net to find anyone who has any cool slides that are under $8 or less but have come up empty.

Does anyone have any links to sites that sell (preferably in bulk) any neckerchief slides?

This isn't strictly scouting, but when I was coaching a OA ceremonies team, I gave each scout who had a major part a 1940's quarter. The scouts loved the flying eagle on the reverse side,and were amazed that it was 90% silver. Some of them kept them in a little leather "medicine bag" for years. The 12 quarters cost me about 30 bucks each Ordeal. The look on the scouts faces was as they say- priceless.

Oldscout

This isn't strictly scouting, but when I was coaching a OA ceremonies team, I gave each scout who had a major part a 1940's quarter. The scouts loved the flying eagle on the reverse side,and were amazed that it was 90% silver. Some of them kept them in a little leather "medicine bag" for years. The 12 quarters cost me about 30 bucks each Ordeal. The look on the scouts faces was as they say- priceless.

Oldscout

This summer I invented an award to recognize one adult who has gone above and beyond to help our Troop's outdoor program. I called it the Silver Sierra Cup Award and it was simply the cup with the person's name on the bottom. This really made an impact on the adult leader who received the award.

Then, I thought it would be a good idea to recongize those boys we sent to NYLT by presenting them with their own military surplus campaign hats. That one was a huge hit.

We are a "Bolo" troop, full uniform is a bolo tie rather than a neckerchief. There's no prohibition on neckerchiefs...

When a person joins OA, they get an OA bolo, and when they make Eagle, they get an Eagle bolo. I have some "uniform" patches that I award at the end of out canoe trips (which end at a Scout Camp,) to those who are in uniform when we arrive. I've only given out six of them. I've proposed a "seal" badge for scouts who earn both a shooting sports merit badge and an aquatics merit badge during a week at Scout Camp, but we've never actually done it. I like the shotgun-shell-slide.

We as a troop have two awards. One is the Good Turn award, awarded to a scout who does the best good turn during the year. This award is based on secret nomination and is given a gold coin from the scoutstore with the slogan on it. The other is Honor camper, awarded to the Scout who has lived the scout oath and law on campouts(being prepared, being helpful, ect). It is voted on by the whole troop. They are awarded a Boy Scout Fieldbook.