Hey guys. I have two questions.

First, does anyone know of a good way to get a hold of Scouter Terry? I tried using the contact form on the site but I didn't think he got my message. I wanted to talk to him about helping him update the forum to a more modern platform.

Second, I alreAdy have a working model of what the forum could be, but I wanted to see if there was anything particular those who used the forum the most would want to see in an update. Not new categories, but things like moderator functions, tapatalk support, avatars, a language filter, or anything you have seen elsewhere you wish we had here.

Before anyone asks I am wanting to do this for free because I like this place and have time to help make it better. I dont do web stuff for a living.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed he is. Just like here, Terry doesn't post much on facebook. Sending him a message on facebook would probably stand a better chance of him reading it than posting on our Scouter dot Com facebook page. Perhaps a private message and a post on our page would be in order. I'm not linked to him on LinkedIn to the best of my recollection, but I'm willing to bet he is a member there as well.

Thanks. I will try your advice. I would have posted this in a more appropriate place, but with out a "Forum Support" section, there didn't seem to be one.

A private message has told me that this has already irritated at least one other member, so if a moderator wants to lock or completely delete this thread, that is fine with me.

Don't know why it irritated anyone, you seem sincere, and don't seem to be trying to sell us anything.. (Maybe Terry if you don't understand most scouting work is voluntary)..

Improvements?

Well I have it set up to work, but I had to sort the forum by last post descending, so I could tell quickly what may have been added since my last visit.. without that if you come here you first sort it ascending then decending.. Anyway, would be nice to have some of our preferences of how we like the forum to appear to be in a profile setup.

I have gotten use to putting in name & password everythime, even though I have already logged in.. But most forums don't do that.. And it isn't like this a top secretrive forum that needs overkill on it's security protection..

Now I have been spending time over on the Barnes & Noble website.. (a long non-scout story there).. But anyway.. This would probably be undoable.. But.. I love how I come back to the forum and not only do they sort it by last post (as I like) but they state how many post I have not read.. And even takes me right to the point of the unread posts when I click on the thread! Even if it was on the tenth page of the forum posts! Wow.. I got spoiled!

I think the forum would benefit from nested thread support that lets users see what posts are responses to responses (to responses, and so on...). I think some of the heat in some of the discussions on here comes from users not being able to see what post someone is responding to within a thread.

You guys do know that Spellcheck is already available for the forum, right? WHen you compose your post, you see the phrase "format this post" to the left, underneath the phrase "Your Message"

When you click on that you get a HTML box where you can bold things, put a word in italics or even underline something

You can even change the size of the font the color of the text, or all three

Interesting.

I do not have to re-log in every time I visit. The site remembers my info, and logs me in automatically.

I also have spell check.

I think that some of your issues can be fixed by how you have your browser set up.