You can make a difference

Hi All. We hear now and then that the volunteer positions at District or Council are totally political and manned by scouters who dont understand the struggles of the units. Sometimes this is true, but more often than not the quality of leadership outside the units is not planned or political. Oh, many volunteers are ambitious and climbing the ladder for the golden ring (Silver Beaver), but in most cases, the volunteers in the district or council have a position because they happen to be in the right place at the right time.

But it got me thinking about my response to these theories of dark conspiracies. Something like Change starts with you, or We reap what we allow to sow. Truth is we all as individuals have a lot of power to make change happen if we just take that first step. The changes you want to make may not be instant and in fact may take a few years, but you can start the stone rolling with the right goals and physical effort. A few personal examples:

I was invited to be the District Membership Chairman one year because the position had lacked energy for several years and the DE overheard me discussed some ideas at Roundtable. Make a note: be ready to walk the talk because you may be held accountable for your words. Ive been trained through the years of professional leadership training that productive leaders last about three years, so I recruited five other adults who I knew wanted to help at the district level with the idea that one would replace me in three years. And while each of those adults did do greater things for the District, one fantastic woman took the ideas we developed the past three years and ran a great Membership Committee for another three years. She did such a good job at membership that she was asked to take over District Training because it was struggling. She was awarded the Silver Beaver three years later for turning the training program around. And, she herself found several hard working adults for other committee positions that were there after she left.

Another example: I had the opportunity as a WB Patrol Counselor to be a cheer leader for a group of adults. I got to spend enough time with these adults that I learned enough of their personal gifts and skills to guide in directions that would best advance the scouting program. I wasnt directive, I just pushed them to get more experience and training than they had originally considered when they joined the BSA. I basically just cheered them to reach higher than they saw themselves using their personal talents and passions. Long story short; six of the eight adults were invited by their districts to help in positions the District was weak. Two leaders became Scoutmasters. I wasnt pushing them toward any position, I was encouraging them to not be timid with their talents. Do the best you can with what you have because the BSA needs you. I know for a fact that those adults not only improved the quality of their unit with their work, but they helped hundreds of other scouts by working in their district. They made changes that helped many other adults provide better quality programs.

I have many more personal stories, but I think the point is made and I would certainly invite more stories from the forum because they are encouraging, expecially when so many folks think it hopeless.

You know it doesnt take all that much effort to be a cheer leader or recruiter. Most of the time, adults are just waiting to be invited to help. I remember once our District Commissioner was complaining that he could not find any commissioners. I sent him a list three days later of 12 volunteers that wanted a DC job. I used my talent of recruting to help improve the program.

We can make a difference and there is a noble honor helping adults build better programs. There are hundreds of Scout stories of role models and mentors making a difference for boys, but there are many hundreds more stories of making a difference helping adults. I always preached that we can help hundreds more boys when we work at outside our unit. That is not to say our first priority shouldn't be the unit, but it doesnt have to be limited to the unit when we have additional time to share. I personally didn't take on any outside troop task while I was a SM because I wanted all my energy directed to the scouts. It also saved me from a divorced. But after I retired from SM, I was in high demand.

If you dont like the way things are being done at District or Council, dont hold back because YOU can change it. At the very least you can be the one person with a different idea. You can make a difference.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

Basementdweller has been there and done that, one person cannot or will not change the Good old boys club or status quo.

Not only did I try once, but I was stupid enough to try again about 6 or 8 months ago. Naw that's alright they can have it, district will be just fine without the old dweller.

Personal goal, grow the Pack resulting in Troop growth. Method, world class cub program, lots of activities excited and motivated den leaders.

We are making progress. Not world class but the best on my side of town.

Basement is quite right. Unless you're one of the Old Guard, it isn't going to make too much of a difference. 20+ years of scouting and a now a UC with no units.

So much for the mantra boy-led, patrol-method... :)

Stosh

To all the negative commentators I say this:

HORSE HOCKEY AN INDIVIDUAL CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Gotta remember that the district and council are there to support the units, not the other way around.

And what is more important: making a difference on the district/council level or on the unit level?

To Base I say focus on the scouts in your units. let's face it how many scouts know who is on the district or council committee? But they know their DLs, CMs, ASMs, SM, ad nauseum. And when it comes times to people making an impact, YOU are doing it.

To Stosh I say this: Yes your unit treated you crappy. Dust yourself off and help those who want your help. I'm willing to bet there is a unit that needs a UC with your experience to help get them going.

Let me tell you about a unit leader who later served at district/council level. He was a crusty old retired Marine who served as an SM for I don't remember how many years. It was over 30 though. He moved on to the religious awards committee on the council level, and also served on summer camp staff for over 20 years as the First Year Camper Director. Pretty much every single first year camper for over 20 had to go through "Sarge." He made an impact on hundreds, if not thousands, of people's lives.

When he passed away, people traveled from all over the country to pay their last respects. It was not only standing room only at the church where his funeral services were held, but they had folks outside as well. he made that much impact.

One person CAN make a difference.

"Gotta remember that the district and council are there to support the units, not the other way around."

Yes this would be a very good thing to remember. Now if I could just figure out a way to get Council to agree! I won't hold my breath.

Just my experience as a Scoutmaster, YMMV.

The assumption here is that an individual can make a difference. However, we band together to make it happen. The council supports us? What if the council doesn't? What if they don't return calls. What if one volunteers and they don't have anything available at the present time? Yeah, the list goes on and on.

I have 40+ years of working with youth and community organizations, some with Scouts, some with church organizations, some with community organizations, and I have offered my services freely to all. Yet the only organization that doesn't return calls is Scouting. I wonder why that is.

I am in the process of organizing groups once again and Scouting is not part of that group even though the idea originated within a Scouting idea and runs parallel to Scouting ideals. But... oh, yeah, they don't return calls. I love to get things organized. Over the past 40+ years I have organized 43 Explorer Posts/Venture Crews. I have no idea how many community groups I have gotten together, but I did organize an ambulance service for a small town once from training volunteers to purchasing an ambulance unit, oh, and yeah, I organized a church congregation, too. Right now I'm getting together a group of couples interested in doing out-doors kinds of things, i.e. kayaking, hiking, x-country skiing, depending on the season. I thought it was a pretty good for a new Venturing Crew, but... the council never returned my calls, so now it's a community project. Like I said, we band together to make it happen.

Because I am still registered, I show up for Roundtables, but nothing seems to be available at the present time. Not even anything new on the horizon.

Is this how councils support their volunteers?

I wonder how many other potential leaders run into this process?

I did volunteer work this evening, for a church I don't even belong to. Kids needed a Christmas party/dinner and they needed extra hands. I showed up to help. They returned my call when I volunteered.

Oh, yes, I've picked myself up, dusted myself off and moved on to where my skills and talents are needed... but more importantly... wanted and supported. I don't know if I ever make a difference, but as a UC with no units and a council not returning any calls, my time will be quickly filled up by non-Scouting activities. The Community Theater contacted me for help, the Historical Society has contacted me for help, a local kayak group has need of experienced kayakers to help with novices get started in the hobby. Reenacting group reelected me Captain/Vice President, and the American Red Cross found out about my availability and well, life goes on. I am in contact with a historical society 90 miles away that wants me to help them with a major project.

It would seem that once others found out about the void created by the council, there's an opportunity to seek out a volunteer with a lot more free time on his hands.

There may come a time when Scouting takes up more of my time, but it would seem that the council is not all that interested, well, I assume as such, my phone isn't ringing.

I am quite convinced that I'm not the only one dealing with this kind of "support" from the councils.

Stosh :)

I'm happy to report that my current district and council are very responsive to the needs of units and the folks that serve. I count my blessings every day.

However, I can't say that about 2 of my previous 3 councils. In those 2 councils, unit level folks would get a steady diet of disrespect, ranging from neglect to open contempt. Even if you decided to make nice and play the game, it wouldn't matter. They had their club, anyone outside of it was considered "The Great Unwashed." Really quite incredible to live thru something like that.

I think Stosh and Basement have the right strategies. Chart your own course at the unit level, or find other organizations that appreciate your time.

Great perspective Eagle92, thanks.

In regards to districts and councils not responding to the needs and wants of their volunteers, yes it happens. I've been in a council like that, and the volunteers dealt with it by essentially thumbing their nose at council, and focused on their units. They used council only for the essentials: to camp at the local camp, advancement, and paperwork. But other than that, they did things on their own.

Good news is that the district survived some really bad times. Bad news is that the "we do it alone" mentality still exists, and the council has had 180 degree turn around with the current SE. It can be challenging at times.

I guess my point for this post and the previous post is this: do what you can for the folks you are responsible for. If you can help out onthe district level, great. If you can help out on the council level, great. But do not forget that the scouts in your unit are the #1 priority.

Now sometimes the needs of the district and your unit do overlap. CSDC is the best example I can think of. But if you are doing something that has little to no impact on your scouts at the higher levels, it's time to reconsider.

Also if you keep offering to help, and are being denied and/or ignored, just relax for a bit. I've found that when folks know you are good at somethign that needs to be done, they know where to find you.

I appreciate the intent of your OP, Eagledad, encouraging folks to get involved and try to make a positive contribution toward solving problems.

Unfortunately, my experience is pretty close to Basementdwellers. From now on, my scouting experience starts and stops at the front door of the troop's meeting hall.

Around here, the ol' boys are more than happy to have just about anyone handle the scut work for them -- membership, FOS (they'll always take your check), recharter, and anything Cub Scouting related. But Boy Scout programs, OA, summer camp, camporees, high adventure plus any sort of training is strictly the perview with The Priesthood. New ideas are not part of the equation.

So you run through the Serenity Prayer, take care of the 60 boys in our troop and the heck with the rest of it. I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face, so if there is a district or council program of which we wish to avail ourselves, we will. But otherwise, phfffftt!

"one person cannot or will not change the Good old boys club or status quo. "

That's just not my experience. Scouters are volunteers and welcome new volunteers to keep the program going.

My experience is district/council has plenty of holes to fill and are always looking for people to help, new energy, new enthusiasm and fresh ideas. A few committees like advancement tend to want to know the people pretty well first before welcoming volunteers. But even there, they are always looking for good volunteers to help.

The accused "Good old boys clubs" or "political problems" tend to be more human interaction issues. And usually occur when someone's already doing a job and the group is generally happy. Then, someone steps in saying it should be done differently. It offends people and can start labeling past hard work and successes as failures.

The challenge is how to make change. ... and to know when to step back and recognize the values of how it's being done now.

For myself, three years ago there were two issues at district that kept bugging me. I volunteered for one and have been doing it for three years now. The other I got to know the people involved and worked for a change. And it eventually happened. When I think of significant changes at district level in the last three years, I'm proud to say that I've helped drive a good number of them. I don't care who gets the knot or the formal recognition. I just enjoy being part of the group (and a fair bit of joking around when we socialize).

As for council supporting units, that's another discussion. Most ways councils do support units but there are a few very visible thorns.(This message has been edited by fred8033)

taken from http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=275776&p=1

It is unit level not district or council level

I am one of the Good Old Boys.

I am one of the Good Old Boys who make sure your scout is advancing.

I am one of the Good Old Boys that makes sure the wet troop gear is dried

I am one of the Good Old Boys who takes the patrol to the grocery store to buy their grub.

I am one of the Good Old Boys who brings extra sleeping bags, rain coat, coat, long underwear for the scout who is unprepared.

I am one of the Good Old Boys who has a loaf of bread and PB&J just in case the Patrol meal doesn't turn out.

I am one of the Good Old Boys who responds to the cry in the night at camp.

I am one of the Good Old Boys who fills out the tour permit

I am one of the Good Old Boys who scouts new places to go and see and camp

I am one of the Good Old Boys who hauls gear and scout to camp

I am one of the Good Old Boys who stays up all night with your home sick scout.

I am one of the Good Old Boys who helps the boys put on a program.

I am one of the Good Old Boys and I will not apologize for it.

I enjoy each and every youth I serve, But I enjoy the moments shared with friends that I have hiked hundreds of miles with, camped in monsoons, bled and sweat and watched the boys grow together. Shared successes and Failures with. I am sorry you were not their for all of that, there is nothing I can do to change that. If you want to join the GOBC get off your can, roll up your sleeves, slip on those boots and get going.

Cub leaders, just because your a Type A personality and previously were a CM, ACM, CL, CC or any other acronym doesn't give you an auto entry into a circle of friends. Get over it.

I promise, if you camp with us, haul boys, hike, go to round table, attend meetings, and PARTICIPATE. You will be one of us before you know it.

Eagle92, point well taken. Sometimes a twenty year grudge will exist ("...camp director said X and Y in 1988, and we ain't camping there again!") though its a whole new era, twice over.

The GOB networks vary. Some last a couple years, others seem forever. When I was in a particular council (working troop level), that particular GOB council/district network lasted the entire six years I was there. They were very effective in keeping their ranks filled with only hand selected GOBs. Just depends.