Flag Ceremony Question

Thank you, Stosh, for the short form!

I agree, there is no "official" form of ceremony, only precident and tradition. With Cibs, KiS. With older Scouts, add pomp to it but still, KiS.

I recently was asked to help organize a flag presentation at a local Mosque at a 9-11 remembrance. We had many local politicos, veterans and police and firefighters in attendance, and they asked the Scouts to do the flag presentation to open things. I put the word out to the District and garnered a dozen Scouts. I collected a US flag, a State one and a County flag. We met one hour early, parceled out the flags, got'em all in order, assigned a Color guard (yeah, we used that term), a Captain, rehearsed it twice, got our cues set with the MC, then they opened the doors and let everyone in.

It went well, very impressive, if I do say so myself. After all the formalities, speeches, songs, blessings, prayers and testimonials, when it came time to retrieve the colors, the US flag came back to formation LAST, then they marched out. The US flag was in the proper position for the march out

(2 abreast), but was walked in LAST of the three. After all was done, one of the police in attendance, a BIG fellow, came up to me and thanked me for the Scouts being there, but did I know the US flag really should be FIRST in the formation at all times (he was an exMarine). I said I thought so, but we are amateurs, after all. He said it was all good, none the less.

Bugle story: I was asked to do "Call to the Colors" at the first raising of the flag at the dedication of a new Scout camp some years ago. I dutifully praciced and got my lip in shape. They wanted the "long" version (!). When the time came, I put horn to lip and COULD NOT remember the start of the tune. I ended up doing the French "Avec Le Colour", which I had learned as a Scout watching Captain Gallant (Buster Crabb) on TV. No one said a thing to me, one way or another.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! There's always wiggle room when it comes to flag ceremonies. The only thing that can't be wiggled is the respect requirement.

The color guard (yes, with real weapons) of our local reenactor group was asked to do the opening and closing colors for a band concert of Civil War music. It was at a band shell in the city park but it had 2 inside aisles instead of one center, only wide enough for 2 people at best. Remember, Civil War flags, because of their need to be seen, are measured in feet, not inches. :) Hand held, they drape almost to the ground and the pole is very long and in a stiff wind almost impossible to carry. We had a National Flag, a Regimental Flag and the Company Flag. The conductor for the concert wanted the flags displayed front and center for the concert. It was a bit windy and I informed him that if we did that, the audience would never see the performers. We took them off to the side. :) Still it was very impressive. We marched in with drum and fife and the fifer was not playing TO THE COLORS or the National Anthem, he played Yankee Doodle.

The outside right aisle had myself (first sergeant) and one armed guard. The inside right aisle had the National and one armed guard, the inside left had the Regimental colors and an armed guard and the outside left aisle had the Company flag and armed guard. The drummer and fifer came in behind the National Flag.

It was really kinda neat to see, especially with the wind a bit gusty.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't realize it but when a group of soldiers step off on the march the command is FORWARD, MARCH. However, when accompanied by musicians, the command to step off is MUSICIANS, BEAT OFF. :)

One other thing to remember that the Civil War military protocol for the flags when the soldiers reached their destination did not put flags in holders (they would touch the ground). Instead their were all furled and laid across stacked rifles. On Memorial Day at our cemetery, that is how the flags are "displayed" at the GAR Lot DURING the ceremony.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

The way I teach it, right or wrong, or awkward:

1.Troop (Pack!) attention!

2.Please remove all non-Scouting headgear.

3. Color guard: Advance!

4. Color Guard: Prepare to post the colors!

(The color guard poises, or fumbles with the hoist, etc. When they are ready, and I've seen this take 5 minutes, which is why "Salute!" is later...)

5. Scout Salute! Those not in Uniform, hand over heart!

( a nuance for Scout people not in uniform, do the Scout sign with the hand that you place over your heart.)

6.Post the colors!

7. Pledge, Scout Promise, law, what have you.

8. "Tout!" (French for "done!" often mis-stated "two."

9. Color Guard: return to ranks. I have them turn a throw a quick salute at the flag, and then depart.

10. At ease...dismissed.

Reverse:

1. Attention! (Remove headgear,etc.)

2. Color guard, advance!

3. Color Guard, prepare to retrieve the colors!

4. Scout Salute! (etc.)

5. Retrieve the colors! ( It just seems awkward to say "Color Guard" again here.)

6. Color Guard, return to ranks! At this point, if the flag was on a hoist, and folded during retrieval, the guard will present it to the Cubmaster, course director, or other "High official."

7. "Tout!"

8. At ease...Dismissed!

Can Cubs handle this? Yes. Will they get it right? Mostly.

I've taught this to Cubs, Boy Scouts, Venturers, Campfire youth, Girl Scouts, Adult leaders in an IOLS class, and others.

Good history, Stosh. I agree with the comment about Georgia flag. While certain folk complain about a Confederate military flag being flown on a military monument in MY state, the state next door displays a version of the Confederate National flag on every state building and no one comments. It's funny. (The emblem Georgia added to the Stars and Bars is the Georgia state seal.) Incidentally, the immediately prior Georgia flag was actually illegal. It contained a small replica of the U.S. "Stars and Stripes" on it, which violates the U.S. flag code.

However, the Army of Northern Virginia flag (which my ancestors fought under) is square, not rectangular, and differs from the popular flag of today by having a white border. It was designed by Gen. Beauregard. The rectangular one most often seen today was really the Naval ensign, but was used by some infantry units. It is well documented that there were a great variety of flags used by individual units. Sime rectangular, some square, some with borders, some not. Most were hand made.