We've been covering first aid at our meetings lately and the boys are getting the hang of things pretty well. All of our cross overs from last year have completed all the first requirements thru 1st class. This years group is starting and the older scouts are showing them the ropes.

My ASM's and I have been thinking about running some drills on our up coming camp out. The SPL and other older scouts are currently working on the Emer Prep MB so we will use these drills to help them as well. We want the drills to be as real as a possible but don't want to scare them to death. I am looking for some scenarios that you all have used to train your scouts.

Bryan

What we have done at a camporee is to get some fake wound stuff from a costume shop and build up some wounds. Then we instruct the Scouts to fake an injury while a patrol is at a camporee station, doing something else, NOT first aid related. We would then evaluate how well the other patrols would react and give first aid to the "hurt" scout, right down to opening up the station's first aid supplies of bandages, etc.

It worked out rather well. We had some patrols that did nothing, while we had others that jumped in and gave proper first aid.

OGO

Try contacting your local Community College or EMS training site. THey might have a set of traige equipment that you may be able to use. They can probably help you with how things can be done. There may be more information than you know about

Our troop was dropped off about mile from camp to hike the rest of the way. During the hike, the troop hiked apon a simulated single car wreck the older scouts had set up. The spent a couple weeks learning how to make simulated wounds and had a lot of fun setting it all up.

Barry

I use unannounced drills. While on a hike I'll have one boy "twist an ankle" and it's up to the boys to get him back. I had one boy who did anaphilactic shock really well once. Another boy fell and did in his collar bone. I then "disappear" because the first words out of their mouths is "Mr. B____, John has hurt himself!". My answer is always "Bummer" and then stand and watch.

The older boys have figured this out and it works pretty good and when I say bummer they then know it's a drill. I have to figure out a better routine.

Stosh

For my EMT final exam the instructor, an ex-Navy Corpsman, went to the local butcher shop and got joints and waste bones. If you notify your butcher in advance, he can save you some longer pieces. Using old scrubs and plenty of dirt the instructor fashioned realistic compound fractures with lots of gore and tactile realism. The boys should love it!

Other sensory highlights were seared meat in a high-voltage wire burn(Scouts will have to remove the wire safely before rushing in to dress the wound.), and cow blood smeared on the resuscitation dummy.

Have you got any boys that have done NYLT? When my son went through the course, they had a "stove blow up, turning a fork into a projectile and skewering the cook" I think they had some other "mishaps" too. Anyhow, he told me that they got the "recipe" for blood and flesh during the class. I think it ws in his book. Check with a staffer for NYLT, they should have the "secret recipes"