Questionable unit commisoner

I have been the cub master for my pack for roughly 4 years now. Out of those 4 years we have had a Commisioner that did not do much of anything.

Just almost a full year ago she had some very bad medical issues which have removed her from her scouting position. We as a pack have had a few ups and downs. Nothing that we could not handle ourselves.

I and the C.C. have been requesting for about 6 months now a spicfic person to replace our U.C. We have been getting answers like there are other packs that need more attention. You have a good strong pack and others are not so strong and need help and so on. I am proud to say that yes our pack is strong and we have successfully been doing fine without the help of a U.C. but enough is enough. Now comes the history part.

About a year ago I had an asst. CM. who for lack of a better term was not much help at all. She would break down and cry at pack nights when things did not go her way,get mad and make sure everyone knew it, constantly complained about how there was not enough time for her and her family. She was very thin skinned, at leader/committee meetings get mad when her idea's were not used and on a few occaions say that it is over and she was going to leave.This person constantly needed cuddling and to be told she was doing a good job and was needed when in fact she could not complete one task that was asked of her. And had to be spoon fed anything and everything. She also has a very bad hygiene problem that she makes no atempt to fix.

She has since left the pack and scouting with the excuss that she was leaving scouting to spend more time with her family. O K thats great and I can respect that. I soon found out that she has not left scouting but has asked to be on the staff at round table OK fine. She is also now on training staff. Don't get me wrong I am happy for her that she found her nich.I have a great Asst. and the pack has never been stronger.I have at least 2 deep in all dens and all trained.

Now 6 months go by and I sent to new leaders for committee to training and at the next leaders meeting which happened to be the next night they said that they were talking to this person in question and the D.C. And were told that this person who has left my pack is now going to be my U.C.

This is my problem I the C.C. and most of the leaders do not get along with this person. She did nothing for the pack as an asst. cuased more problems for myself and the C.C. than she was worth. She has a serious hygiene problem and does nothing to fix it. I do not want this person as a U.C. What are my opptions.

Go to ScoutStuff and order the Shower Caddy, item no. D01263. Then fill the caddy with all appropriate items needed, and welcome her as U.C. with this "gift". After all, cleanliness is next to Godliness, and A Scout is Clean. A Scout keeps his body and mind fit and clean. He goes around with those who believe in living by these same ideals. He helps keep his home and community clean.(This message has been edited by local1400)

Ignore her. For all your council relations use a District executive. Keep this lady at arms length or better. I don't see you having many options other than keeping your distance and waiting for her to crash out of site. I haven't seen unit commisioner at one of our pack meetings or committee meeting in two years.

I would tell the Dist Commish that you want someone else. A UC should be someone who is "detached" and has no emotional or historical "baggage" that they bring to the job. Sometimes the UC has to mediate disputes and they truly need to be a "disinterested third party". You'd be better off with no one.

Talk with your DC. S/he may have no idea that this person has a negative history with the unit. But focus on the relevant matter - that this person is not someone your leaders can work with due to past problems - not on her personal hygiene which, however unpleasant it may be, does not sound like the main issue from your initial post. If DC were to say "too bad" then I think I'd take it up a step and talk with the DE.

Please do talk to your District Commissioner. The DC probably thinks the lady would be a great fit for your unit since she already knows several of the leaders, etc. The DC probably learned all this from her too. Let your DC know how you and the unit leaders feel about her and that her past association with the unit is a hindrance, not an advantage and that she is not a good fit for the unit's UC. State this in no uncertain terms.

If at all possible, meet with the DC in person, perhaps over a drink somewhere. Perhaps with an ADC and the Cubmaster too. I wouldn't meet with more than four. At any rate, talk, don't write. This should be a pleasant meeting and a good thing for both you and the DC. Establishing a good relationship with the DC will be a real benefit for you and the unit.

I'm a DC and I can see how this type of situation can arise. If I assign a UC to a unit that is a bad fit, I would certainly want to know about it and be able to correct things. I certainly wouldn't want the situation to pester and cause problems. I can't imagine your DC thinking otherwise.

I have to disagree with Its Me. If things go right, your UC should be a great asset for your unit. The UC will be your unit's friend and advocate. The commissioner staff's sole purpose is to provide unit service and help ensure that all units succeed. Unfortunately, things don't always work the way they are supposed to and the service part of commissioner service may be lost, but if unit service is there, why not take advantage of it?

Good luck,

SWScouter

Like others have said, let your district commissioner know what is going on and that you appreciate having a unit commissioner, you would rather someone be else assigned. I wouldn't so much push on the issue of her having a previous "job" in the pack, but that you and the CC have personal issues with her. Since this is a district representative you are having issues with, you might want to bring in your COR, if this person is active, and have them talk it over with the district commissioner if it doesn't go well with the DC the first time.

Things get a little more touchy if the DC says no.

First, you are under no obligation to let a UC in the door, unless you are with a LDS then it is also a church position. Just tell her that you guys are doing fine, and you will let her know when she is needed, but will keep pushing the DC for a new one. I would also let the council commissioner and the district chairman know the district commissioner was not willing to work with you.

Robert

Here is the lastest update.

My C.C. who I forgot to mention is my wife started conversation with the D.E. he said that it has been confirmed that the person that we have be requesting for the UC position has been confirmed and has our # and will be calling to meet with us.

Now here is where it gets good. The CC wrote a very good email to the person that we do not want and cc the COR and the DE and me stating that she is invited to our next pack night to be part of my beading ceremony. Also said that we will be annonceing that we have a new UC and stated the person's name, which was the one we have been requesting. The women in question writes back saying that the DE does not know what is going or what he is talking about because she states last week the DC called her and said that she was chosen for the position.I can not belive how much drama is involved in this and how much of a soap oprea this is. She than states that we better check with the DE and get our stories straight.

Your last post is confusing to me. If you don't want the UC, why would she be invited to your Pack Meeting/beading?

Just because an e-mail was sent doesn't mean that communication has taken place.

OK sorry not enough info,

The reason for the invite was a subtle way of telling this person that the UC we wanted we got and also to get letters the the kids have been expecting from the armed forces that she has been holding on to for over 8 months also we took WB togrther. My mistake the conversation was not an email but a phone conversation between the CC and the DE confirming the choice.

A Unit Commissioner is appointed by the District Commissioner, and approved by the council executive board. Not the DE.

You should do now, what you should have done as soon as you heard about this - contact your District Commissioner and find out exactly what is going on.

BTW - I agree with scoutldr, all you have so far is gossip, you have never been OFFICIALY told who your UC is (or even that you now HAVE one), why on earth would you invite someone who you obviously, & publicly, dislike to your Beading?

The issue has been solved,

The CC has spoken to the DC directly and has cleared the whole mess up. As stated in his reply by scout nut it was all speculation and wishful thinking on this un wanted person part or maybe a misunderstanding. The DC has told the CC that Council and himself are aware of the problem and the issue's that we have with this person and in no way will let this person come near my pack, this is coming directly for the DC's mouth.

She was aproved for a UC position and applyed for that position in my pack and only assummed that because she came from my pack she was going to get it. She started to brag and tell people that were in my pack at training that she was appointed the position to my pack when in fact she was just approved for the position as a UC. She strikes again.

As for the invite the CC says that it is the proper thing to do because we were invited to her beading ceremony but did not attend. Thank you for all of your concerns and very helpful in put.