School won't hand out flyers

A strong program should be the issue anytime. Flyers do work and it would be nice to use them but forcing issues even when you are in the right is tricky. Getting and keeping good relationships by default has become (our) goal.

I work in an agency that goes into school districts by federal mandated interagency agreement. The maze of relationships is a challenge yearly. On the surface it appears to be straightforward but that is a chicken counting fallacy. I keep finding differences even when everyone has the same high-minded goals.

This is one column that I can truly appreciate for all of the careful debate that has brought depth to our discussion. This helps (us) in defining (our) actions by being better informed, or maybe it is just me.

Thanks to all,

FB

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

acco40 said...

"In my neck of the woods, we (Scout units) may use the public schools like anyone else. The going rate is $25/hr for a classroom, $200/hr for gymnasium or cafeteria."

I'd be contacting my local legislator and finding out if the school can charge me rent for something my taxes paid for.

Your taxes only pay for the expenses generated in keeping the building up & running during school hours.

If you want to use the buildings during the times when they are normally empty & closed up, many school districts will charge (anyone) for that use.

I have looked into using public school gyms for various different programs, some BSA, some GSUSA, some neither. What I was told was that the rental fee covered all utilities (heat, light, etc) used and the cost to have security and/or a janitor present (basically overtime for them).

Our school doesn't charge us if (1) we have a school employee or PTA officer present, which is never a problem, (2) it's during the janitor's normal working hours, and (3) we clean up after ourselves. None of these are ever an issue, so we've been able to use the school from time-to-time. We keep this to a minimum, as to not risk losing the option. They've been pretty good to us over the years.

• 4 weeks later...