• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure you have to "deal" with them at all. I'd say the best thing you can do is run a healthy program. Shouldn't take the scouts long to notice that Mr. SML hikes while Mr. 4X stays at base camp.

IMHO it is the responsibility of the Scouter to

"Do their best" to "keep themselves phlsically strong..."

If another Scouter feels that someone is not living up to this portion of the Scout Oath, they need to remind them about it. We do need to be

"Kind" also and remember that the obese Scouter may be "doing their best" and be quite sensitive about the issue.

That being said, let us be careful how we define obese. This hits close to home for me, since I am technically (based on that BMI junk that seems to be the gospel in determining obesity) obese. I've been told when trying for life insurance that my premiums would be a lot higher than normal due to my weight. While BMI classifys me as obese, I am around 14% bodyfat (based on skinfold calipers) which is an acceptable range. I am a competitive athlete in powerlifting and strongman so I have a lot more mussle mass than normal. So, lets keep the BSA away from blanket classifications.

I agree that obese, overweight, and out-of-shape Scouters set a bad example.

However, there is only one overweight Scouter that I can "deal" with. So far, I've lost 5 pounds.

In which of your roles? Is this someone you know as a commissioner, work with as an ASM, recommend for leadership as a committee member?

You actually do not approve or manage another adult in any of these roles. So other than out of concern as a friend, you don't really have "authority" to tell them how you want them to live their life, do you?

Who says, "poor example"?

I'd much rather have fat folks who are patient, helpful, generous, fun, etc. as role models for our scouts than tri-athaletes who are brusque, intolerant, impatient, etc. The point is that character is a complex thing and many of the most important aspects of character are NOT immediately visible.

I'm not overweight, I'm just too short for my ideal weight!

Seriously, as Boy Scout leaders we have taken an oath to keep ourselves physically strong. Now, like most simple statements there are many interpretations to this. At Philmont I met an overweight Scouter (via both the BMI, fat calipers and scale metrics) who firmly believed that since he had physical strength (he could bench press and squat much weight) he was in his eyes "physically strong."

Others interpret the Scout Oath as a pledge to try hard to take care of their body - eating nutritious foods, getting enough sleep, exercise regularly and avoid harmful drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and anything else that can harm your health (i.e. too much bacon).

Now if you feel a fellow Scouter does not live up to the oath, any part of it what do you do? You should deal with all aspects of the oath equally. Not honorably doing ones best duty to God, keeping one physically strong or mentally awake or morally straight are all on par with each other. The Scout Oath does not prioritize (just like all eight methods are equally important).

The best ways to deal with obese Scouter, IMHO, is to make sure nutritious, low calorie food is available on outings and meetings and to make sure your unit's program provides ample opportunity for exercise. As the public service announcement states, "A waist is a terrible thing to mind."

(This message has been edited by acco40)

Let's change the question a bit.

What are suitable ways of dealing with Scouters who judge others on their appearance instead of their character, and who are a poor example for Scouts because of that?

I would NEVER approach a sensitive subject like that with someone who has dedicated a significant portion of their free time to Scouting. We have a former SM, now a committee member, who is a very large person, but this year we awarded him is 30 YEAR PIN! He has been contributing time EVERY WEEK for 30 years to the BSA. What kind of example does that set?

As Bob says, you may have concern for your friend, and wish to discuss the situation with him, but chances are, he already knows he is obese. :-)

... so we have an ASM who smokes. He goes out-of-sight to get a smoke (completely out of sight). He is a great ASM, great with the boys, great leadership ability, great character, and great knowledge overall. Who am I to judge him because of his choice to smoke? Of course he doesn't practice what he preaches in terms of telling the boys never to smoke (I get a kick out of him breaking one of the scout law ... trustworthy!) Of course, if he were to smoke in front of the boys, then I would gently remind him of G2SS guideline on tabacco usage on scout activities.

I'm, on the other hand, a tad bit on the light side (all right, skinny if you must). I'm not ideal, but my metabolism does not allow me to be any bigger than what I am. Am I a poor example of physically fit? By whose standards? Other than high cholesterol level (not by choice again), I am more physically fit than an average man of my age.

I know many large folks who are not that way because of choice.

As wingnut pointed out, we teach the boys what proper nutrition as pointed in the handbook and that is what we should do. We should explain to them what it means to be physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

my 2 cents worth.(This message has been edited by OneHour)

I believe a scouter's responsibility is to provide a safe scouting environment for the scouts. When an adult's weight, strength, height, eyesight, hearing, or other sense, body type, or ability is a hinderance to an activity then s/he has the responsibility to not participate. The activity is for the benefit of the scouts, and adults are a support system for them.

For example, an adult on a canoe trip without adequate armstrength or endurance or with excessive weight may be more of a hinderance than a support.

For example, the BSA High Adventure camps have weight/height and physical condition requirements to ensure a safe experience for the scouts.

As far as dealing with obese scouters, I think that is more important with SMs and ASMs - those actively participating in the outdoors program. Those I know that are aware of and working on their weight, I try to encourage and find useful, physical tasks for them to help with. Those that do not feel there is an issue, I treat as normal but will find others first to do physical activities.

Paul

The question was not about an overweight Scouter who was endangering himself or the Scouts in his care.

Most people (big, little, fat, skinny, tall, short, weak, strong, stupid, smart) know their limits & do not try to do things that they know they just can not do.

The original question was:

"What are suitable ways of dealing with Scouters who are obese and a poor example for Scouts because of that?"

This is about punishing a Scouter simply because someone doesn't like the way he looks.

I'm with CA_Scouter.

Being a new scouter myself, I'm probably very naive, but I seem to have read someplace that a scout promises to keep himself "physically strong." Maybe that's just some idealism for the boys? Perhaps adult leaders also don't need to worry about all that idealistic stuff about "mentally awake" and "morally straight"?

I think this is a moot point. Ok, lets do something about overweight scouters. Now after we run them off, lets do something about overweight scouts. Now, after we run them off, lets do something about too thin scouters (after all thin doesn't mean healthy) and too thin scouts. Gee, room is getting kinda empty. Bald isn't really healthy, too easy to sunburn, out they go. Do you see where this is going? No one can really set the perfect example of the Scout Oath and Law. I mean really come on, there was only one truly perfect person on this planet and he died for it. I would love to see someone show me a scouter who fits all of the criteria all of the time. You want more people to volunteer but maybe not the fat ones??!! No, I think we need to take people as they come to us offering to help. It reminds me of a fantastic quote:

First they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak out - because I was not a Jew. Then they came for the Communists, and I did not speak out -because I was not a Communist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out -because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak for me! -Pastor Niemoller

Just substitute fat for Jews, Thin for Communists, and keep going. I don't even like the line of thought. Why you may ask? My mother was 5'2 and 67 lbs when she passed away, she couldn't gain weight for a medical reason (he stomach had been removed due to medical problems). She couldn't gain weight, some can't lose weight. Who are we to judge?

Kristi