Scouting in the Blood?

This is spun from a post in a thread on the History of the Silver Beaver Award

Ridges54 says she is ..."proud grandaughter of a Silver Beaver, great neice of a silver Fawn, and second cousin to a Silver Beaver. Daughter of an Eagle, sister to 2 Life Scouts, mother of a Star, First Class, Tiger Cub, and future scout."

wow!

This makes me curious as to what degree does Scouting run in families? Is there a Scouting "gene"? And how dominant is it? I know many of the scouts in our troop (but not all) have fathers (or mothers) who were scouts/scouters. This makes sense of course. But what about the opposite? How often is the fun of scouting not passed on?

As far as I know neither of our parents were in Scouting, don't have a clue about grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. I was never in Scouts, but my hubby did make 2nd Class. We have both been leaders in Scouting programs for the past 12+ years.

My son is almost a BSA Star Scout and my daughter is a brand new lifetime member of GSUSA.

I do think it runs in some families more than others. I think it has a lot to do with the values that they hold. I know it is somewhat over-simplified, but I think it depends greatly upon the first person's experience with scouting.

Our cousins tried scouting about the same time as us. Similar values, same town, even lived on the same street. It didn't work for them. My wife's sister's family tried it. Again, similar interests and values, but no luck.

My family, well, we're scout junkies. My mom & dad, brother, son and I have been in and out of scouting for nearly 40 years. I haven't tried adding it up, but I know we've got over 100 years of service between us. We definitely drank the koolaid. Or, should I say, bug juice.

I don't think there is any Scouting gene. I've been involved for 45+ years as a Cub, Boy Scout, Explorer, and Scouter. Dad was SM for 2 years. But my brother, from the same gene pool wanted nothing to do with Scouting on any level at all. Neither did my nephew, although I did take him on a few of our High Adventure trips.

My mom and dad weren't part of Scouting as youth; I don't think they had the opportunity, though they had interest. When I wanted to be a Brownie, both my mom and dad became involved. When my younger brother wanted to become a Cub, both my mom and dad became involved. My sister was a Girl Scout for awhile, but she lost interest as other things competed with her time. My brother earned Eagle, eventually left home for college, but dad was asked to stay on the troop committee. That was over 20 years ago, and he has been the IH for the past several years. He has no desire to leave, nor does the CO wish to see him go. All five of his grandsons, both of his son-in-laws, and both of his daughters are involved in scouting today. All of the boys have expressed interest in Eagle, for they have seen the pride in my dad's face when he brings the OA uniforms and costumes out to show them and tells them stories and shows the home movies of his and my brother's years camping. My husband's brothers were involved in Cubs for a time, his dad was the CM during that time, but they and later on their sons, did not have/keep interest. From all those meet, and from my experience, it seems that when the family is fully involved, scouting tends to move on from generation to generation. If it isn't, there is less of a chance of that happening.

I am not sure there may be a scouting gene, but I am sure there is a "service" gene.

My father was an assitant scoutmaster in the troop of my youth. My mother was a real uniformed Den Mother who wa awarded "Woman of the Year" in our community one year and my father recevied the St Georges medal for work with Catholic youth.

After they retired and moved away from the community, my father has gone on to work with the American Legion, served a few terms as post commander, the Knights of Columbus and the local farm buruea, while my mother worked with the ladies club of their church.

I dont't think there is a "scouting Gene' either. Of my three brothers I stayed in scouting the longest; I made it all the way to Second Class. Of all of my nieces an nephews only my son is still involved in scouting, he says he really is working on those MB's needed for Star Scout.

My mom was a den mother back in the 70's. Right down to her yellow blouse and blue skirt. Her parents however lived and breathed scouting. My Grandfather was a Scoutmaster as long as I can remember and probably before, he was always supportive of me while in scouts. My grandmother was heavily involved too. She was a girl scout leader for 40 plus years, was on the committee that selected and set up Butternut Springs Girl scout camp for the CHicago council and spent most every summer there. Some of my best memories of scouting actually happened at a girl scout camp.

I often ask my brothers why they never involved there kids in scouts and just go the 'I don't have the time ' as an answer. Pity!

I can see how Scouting can be a "gene" in some way's, and in some way's it is not. It all depends on the child or scout that either likes the program or not.

Does family have a guiding hand in enlightening their child about scouts? The sure do. And that is the true with everything. My parents do not follow sports, I have aunts and uncles and friends that do, but since my parents and dad especially don't, neither do I.

When it comes to scouting, my mom was a den leader, and thats about it. My dad was never a leader, and I think he made it to 2nd class as a scout. Some uncles here and there were Boy Scouts, and some Explorers. I did not have parents that forced me to be involved, I just liked it, than I loved it.

Now; yea, I'd say its in my blood.

YIS

Well as for my family, we are knee deep in scouts. As stated earlier I am well tethered to the Scouting tradition. Not only do we have all the above mentioned scouts but there are tons more. My uncle regularly talks to me about his time at Jamboree in the 50's and going to Philmont back then. Myself, I was a girl scout for years until my troop folded due to the health of our leader. My grandmother has the Girl Scout Thanks Award (akin to our Silver Beaver). My mother was a Girl Scout, my sisters also. And the list goes on and on and on.

As for my generation (my cousins, etc.) I am one of the few that has carried on the Scouting commitment. The character it builds in youth is astounding. I can't give back what my leaders gave me as a scout but, I can pay it forward. My reward for being in scouts is the smile from the boys, the hugs, the boys that come up to me at the store or at school and just want to talk. They know that if they need me I'm available. To see a boy challenge himself to achieve a badge, pin, belt loop, etc. and reach the goal is wonderful. They find something inside themselves they didn't know they had.

I would say it's in my blood because there is a long history and for me I learned the value of serving one another through scouts. This is just a continuation of community service or service hours that are so important for us to have our scouts work on. Whether it be den chief, working with the food pantry or whatever, they learn that service to others is rewarding in ways that don't require a paycheck in your pocket. No amount of money would be as good for me as the boy that every time I see him at school or any where else, comes running at me calling my name and jumps on me to give me a hug and talk to me about what is going on in his life (btw he's 10 and still does this). I will continue to cry when I cross "my boys" (the 25 that I adopt every year) over to Boy Scouts and check on them to see how they are doing.

I am a Scout and it's in my blood, but not so much as a gene, as a passion to carry on what can be such a positive experience for our future generation.

This last Saturday morning found me sitting in as a part of an Eagle BOR for three Scouts. We delved into each of their advancement records, their letters of reference, their service projects and their individual characters. Each young man was different from the last but all three excelled in their specialty areas. Each had a belief in a Higher Power and could speak about their personal walk and could relate it to Scouting. Each was hesitant to speak of themselves as being an Example to follow but each was fully qualified. I noticed a quiet confidence from each one when they were speaking about their ability to recruit others. Each had the knowledge and each had done so. Each of the three Scouts became an Eagle Scout this last Saturday morning.

If it is a gene, then we need to replicate it and inoculate the whole population.

FB

MMM, why am I Scouter? Some of my best memories were camping with girl scouts. As the mother of three sons and a young daugter - I wanted them to have what I had and since girl scouts was not an option, I went with them to cub scouts. But service, thats what has become important to me. I have fun on the troop level, get frustrated at committee meetings and get challened at district and council meetings. I wear "a uniform because i can make a small diffence in my community. And hopefull my sons will see that the scout law and promise really is more than words. Oh- I have to stay on topic ? My husband, his brother and my brothers all were scouts for a few years...but their memories were of pyrotechnic acheivements...tranlation: big bonfires etc. I'm afraid that that propensity seems to be genetic.

yis -spinnaker

• 6 months later...