What is it about the BSA that has allowed it to survive?

Realistic National Leaders Willing to Take Action.  Those who served as principal national BSA leaders in the last two decades have addressed simultaneous diminishing membership, financial decline, an angry cultural left, and angry cultural right, hostile litigation over membership standards and child sexual abuse, a worst-case relationship with the press, angry volunteers with every imaginable complaint, disappointed councils, departure of national chartered organization membership, diminished brand equity, hostile youth service competitors and reorganization bankruptcy.  With perfect hindsight we point out decisions that could or should have been made differently.  Yet, I complement these leaders for recognizing existential circumstances and having the gravitas to take action.  This is another reason why the BSA is still around.  

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tradition. There are a lot of people who were in scouting as a youth and want their kids in it to share the tradition. Americana. There are people drawn to it from the aspect that is iconic an

BSA using the legal system to deter other organizations from using the terms Scouts and Scouting.

Posted Images

On 5/25/2024 at 10:18 AM, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

I'm with you! The ventilation and being able to transfer the weight onto the hips is huge. I have two external frame packs and I'm not getting rid of them at any price! My old, smaller pack for my scout, the larger volume one for me. The soft packs were originally for climbers and it made sense for them, but I'm not a climber, I'm a hiker.

I think that you are right.  Internal frame packs were designed for climbers, day or weekend campers/hikers, but not serious cold weather camping (where bulky gear is needed) nor extended hiking (Philmont Treks, anything over 2 or 3 days).

Kelty Tiogas and Super Tiogas are very lightweight and superb external frame packs.

Dana Designs (the old school versions on eBay) are Backpacker Magazine Award winners.  Specifically, the K-2 Long Bed.  There are other versions and virtually any external frame older Dana Designs pack is a gem.  All of them were originally retailed at about $300.  Get the right frame size and hip belt size, both are in regular and large, can be interchanged, and are highly adjustable.

Whew-just sold my soapbox on eBay, so I'll have to shut up.

• Like 1

And well, while awaiting shipping on my soap box, Kelty external frame packs tend to have aluminum frames which are relatively light. And that is fine.  Dana Design pack frames are significantly more solid and heavy. I own both. I'd have carried a Kelty Super Tioga at Philmont if I had not lent it out to a Scout of limited means, and if I were not carrying significant crew safety gear which increased my pack to about 65 lbs.

The Dana Design pack hip belt and fiberglass wand system of transferring load from the frame to the hip belt is simply genius.

External frames + bushwhacking: bring extra cotter pins, wire, thread, and tools. Brace for snags and torque. It’ll last decades.

Internal frames + bushwhacking: bring extra thread, needles and chord. Fewer snags, but one must patch rips promptly. Jury is still out if it will last.

BSA is trying to work an “internal frame” to minimize litigation snags (not just from CSA, but from accidents— both physical and psychological). I think this is because the organization has used up its cotter pins, wire, and repair kits (i.e. insurance and endowments.) 

Internal, external, Aluminuminum, magnesium, bushwah...

Bring back the universally useful, eminently adaptable war surplus plywood M4 Pack board:

Packboard.jpg

• Like 1