Leaked? Cub Scout requirements

1 hour ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

Sidebar: Why couldn't you just find an elected German official? Why restrict yourself to the base?

Normally Americans stationed overseas don't wade into local politics or want to be seen doing so.  It really wouldn't be a good look, no matter how noble the cause.  I know when I was a kid in England, our parents weren't out talking to the politicians.  There wasn't a requirement to talk to politicians for any of the merit badges.  Seems like an odd requirement for cubs.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, DannyG said:

Sorry to hear that... It does require shared leadership. Cubmaster to organize the Pack meeting activity. Another parent to coordinate Scouting for Food. Another parent to coordinate a community event., etc... We put ourselves in position to provide lots of opportunity, so each family only has to commit to one or two. 

We tried that.  It didn't work.  We're in an economically depressed area where there are lots of opportunities to do things but everyone is "too busy" to do anything else beyond bring their kid to a meeting.  Some can't even do that and then get surprised that they didn't earn anything.  

4 minutes ago, Armymutt said:

There wasn't a requirement to talk to politicians for any of the merit badges.  Seems like an odd requirement for cubs.

There is an AOL-Building a Better World requirement "Meet with a government or community leader, and learn about his or her role in your community." Here in the states, we have a few local government officials who like to get involved in our ceremonies: like Blue and Gold and Eagle Courts of Honor. But it could be a politician, a government official (appointed), or somebody else...

The new requirement seems oddly specific.

2 minutes ago, DannyG said:

There is an AOL-Building a Better World requirement "Meet with a government or community leader, and learn about his or her role in your community." Here in the states, we have a few local government officials who like to get involved in our ceremonies: like Blue and Gold and Eagle Courts of Honor. But it could be a politician, a government official (appointed), or somebody else...

The new requirement seems oddly specific.

For us, the government leaders are all around.  We have military officers and NCOs in pretty much every unit around Ft. Bragg.  May not be in the exact spirit of whoever wrote the requirement, but we get it done to the letter.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Armymutt said:

For us, the government leaders are all around.  We have military officers and NCOs in pretty much every unit around Ft. Bragg.  May not be in the exact spirit of whoever wrote the requirement, but we get it done to the letter.

I respect the name change to Fort Liberty, but it's gonna take a while before I consistently call the Center of the Universe by its new name.  AATW!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, acema606 said:

I respect the name change to Fort Liberty, but it's gonna take a while before I consistently call the Center of the Universe by its new name.  AATW!

You can tell who is who by how they refer to that place outside of official communications.

I spent many a day and night on both Green and Yellow ramps at Pope waiting for you guys to load up in my trusty C-141.

Our airdrop speed was usually about 150 knots, depending on weight.  If I was tail end Charlie of the formation, I'd slack off ten or 15 knots over the DZ to make your opening shock a little less.  (Love what you did!!)  Later did some DZ control there...

Both my Dad and brother were 82nd... and I was born on Fort Campbell, and lived on Fort Bragg.  Dad retired out of Fort Gordon.  Both told me to go Air Force!  (brother in Navy said the same!) Still have family in Raeford and Augusta. 😜

Airborne All the Way! 

(I trained for the nylon letdown, but was never daft enough to jump out of a perfectly good airplane 😜 )

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

I spent many a day and night on both Green and Yellow ramps at Pope waiting for you guys to load up in my trusty C-141.

Our airdrop speed was usually about 150 knots, depending on weight.  If I was tail end Charlie of the formation, I'd slack off ten or 15 knots over the DZ to make your opening shock a little less.  (Love what you did!!)  Later did some DZ control there...

Both my Dad and brother were 82nd... and I was born on Fort Campbell, and lived on Fort Bragg.  Dad retired out of Fort Gordon.  Both told me to go Air Force!  (brother in Navy said the same!) Still have family in Raeford and Augusta. 😜

Airborne All the Way! 

(I trained for the nylon letdown, but was never daft enough to jump out of a perfectly good airplane 😜 )

The 141 was before my time.  We had the cramped C-130s and the luxurious C-17s.  Those were nice.  I grew up in the Air Force.  Saw my stepdad wear a time to work everyday.  Didn't want to do that.  Joined the Army, then the AF decided that every day was combat uniform day across the board.  Oh well, only a couple years left to go.  

• Upvote 1

Yes indeed but nowhere in the mission of the BSA will you find the word FUN.  Somebody on some committee being guided by an overpaid talking head comes up with this malarkey.   The whole idea of fun is completly overshadowed by lessons, being good citizens and character development.  Will someone please tell me when they hear a kid say that they want to be a Scout to have their character developed, please!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬

• Upvote 1

The draw to get kids into scouting is showing them we are doing all kinds of fun activities.  They are not aware we are also building good character... That's the part we tell to the parents. 🤫

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DannyG said:

The draw to get kids into scouting is showing them we are doing all kinds of fun activities.  They are not aware we are also building good character... That's the part we tell to the parents. 

Our Pack was recently awarded unit of the year for the 2nd year in a row at the District Banquet. The District Chair asked if I could share how we have become so successful in "all" aspects (fundraising, retention, advancement, recruiting, etc..) and I told everyone that I stuck with the basics. The program has been around for over 100 years and there is not a lot to change...the program itself works if you stick to it. That's my "secret".  Keep them involved, active, and engaged and they will continue to have fun. 

• Upvote 1