Forbidding non-popcorn fundraising????

Yes, the CO can give the unit anything they want.  They just can't raise funds in the name of Scouting or the BSA.  Scouts can participate in the CO's fundraiser, but not in uniform.  

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One thing to remember is that council actually needs you more than you need them.  Registered units and registered scouts are THE most important thing to a council. Meaning no disrespect to Unit

They get a cut of the ones that they coordinate. 

The Chartering Organization can conduct a fundraiser and designate the proceeds to the unit. In fact any proceeds from a council fundraiser are owned by the CO anyway.

12 minutes ago, scoutldr said:

Yes, the CO can give the unit anything they want.  They just can't raise funds in the name of Scouting or the BSA.  Scouts can participate in the CO's fundraiser, but not in uniform.  

In this case, the CO is a group that is dying out, has lost their meeting space due to it being uninhabitable by humans, which has resulted in our troop losing OUR meeting space. It's a whole other problem for me to tackle (along with rebuilding the patrol method, transitioning to a scout led program, and figuring out how to handle an integrated boy and girl troop. Add it to the list :) Good thing I like a challenge!

Edited by Maboot38
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
14 hours ago, Maboot38 said:

In this case, the CO is a group that is dying out, has lost their meeting space due to it being uninhabitable by humans, which has resulted in our troop losing OUR meeting space. It's a whole other problem for me to tackle (along with rebuilding the patrol method, transitioning to a scout led program, and figuring out how to handle an integrated boy and girl troop. Add it to the list :) Good thing I like a challenge!

Contact your District Executive and District Commissioner.  One of the responsibilities in the CO Charter agreement is to facilitate a safe and appropriate meeting facility.  If they are not fulfilling the contract, the DE needs to help you find a new CO.  Annual-Charter-Agreement-Charter-Orgs_2023-2024-Year.pdf (scouting.org)

• 1 month later...

I'd wager if your COR walks into the Council office with that fundraising application it will get signed. Especially if, given any hassle, they ask if they should bother coming back with a charter.

• Like 1