An interview with much info and with responsible discussion, at least in my view.

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2023/10/18/getting-to-know-glen-pounder-the-bsas-youth-protection-executive/

This is a step away from the accusatory material too often showing up, IMHO.  Most importantly, Mr. Pounder, while noting huge mistakes and the need for the BSA committee, which he addresses, but he also notes the failures of the larger protection communities in the past.  Take a look and please note that I am not saying what occurred in the past is okay, only that our approaches today are in need of breadth across society.  And this seems a step in that direction, especially the mention of his other connections with the challenge.  

One thought that came to me as I was reading and listening was that in some ways, this recognition is what James West had when he took the job.  The early efforts with the manual IV files were under his watch, and he was even then recognized as a leader in the protection of youth.  He died in the mid forties, I believe just before the end of the War.  And most of the issues today came into being after his loss.  Just have to wonder if he and others in his connections might have directed us differently in those decades after the War.  

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2023/10/18/getting-to-know-glen-pounder-the-bsas-youth-protection-executive/ This is a step away from the accusatory material too often showing up, IMHO.  Most i

Yep. If parents are waiting for more safety policies, I can't imagine what they would be other than reporting the incidents at higher levels so they don't get covered up. We had a lot of discussions h

So I have an answer from my husband, finally. For context, he was a cub scout briefly but quit after getting weird vibes from the (female) leader, and has not come along to anything scouting-related o

Posted Images

6 hours ago, skeptic said:

https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2023/10/18/getting-to-know-glen-pounder-the-bsas-youth-protection-executive/

This is a step away from the accusatory material too often showing up, IMHO.  Most importantly, Mr. Pounder, while noting huge mistakes and the need for the BSA committee, which he addresses, but he also notes the failures of the larger protection communities in the past.  Take a look and please note that I am not saying what occurred in the past is okay, only that our approaches today are in need of breadth across society.  And this seems a step in that direction, especially the mention of his other connections with the challenge.  

One thought that came to me as I was reading and listening was that in some ways, this recognition is what James West had when he took the job.  The early efforts with the manual IV files were under his watch, and he was even then recognized as a leader in the protection of youth.  He died in the mid forties, I believe just before the end of the War.  And most of the issues today came into being after his loss.  Just have to wonder if he and others in his connections might have directed us differently in those decades after the War.  

I'm glad to see this because he's largely been a cipher after more than 6 months in the role. He said more changes are coming and if so that's good and I'll take him at his word. 

I liked hearing "I’m also very keen on empowering our Scouts to protect themselves.". I think that can really help plug a lot of small gaps that can otherwise be very hard to plug.

Our sleeping arrangements when I was a scout broke a number of YPT rules - girls and boys in the same tent, leaders and scouts in the same tent, sometimes only male leaders. But it was one of those big round canvas tents for 20-30 people in which everyone on the hike or at the camp slept. That's a pretty big audience to avoid waking if you're trying to commit CSA, or to try to groom. And because we all learned about consent and what good sex vs bad sex vs sexual abuse is in school, we shared an understanding of that if you say no, that's it - it must be honored, and violating that boundary makes the violator a social transgressor in a way that authority can't waive. (It wasn't a crime in Sweden back then, but it is now.) 

This applies more to older scouts, of course, but I think we can do more even with cub scouts to create a see something say something culture around CSA. I'm no expert, though, so I'm glad there's even a committee of them. I think that's also smart in terms or rebuilding trust with the wider community.

• Upvote 1
On 10/18/2023 at 1:47 PM, skeptic said:

...One thought that came to me as I was reading and listening was that in some ways, this recognition is what James West had when he took the job.  The early efforts with the manual IV files were under his watch, and he was even then recognized as a leader in the protection of youth.  He died in the mid forties, I believe just before the end of the War.  And most of the issues today came into being after his loss.  Just have to wonder if he and others in his connections might have directed us differently in those decades after the War.  

Found this recently regarding West and an earlier time.

JamesWestDisney.thumb.jpg.8dc99e9a5912ac7d77c0fb9a1b3bc009.jpg

• Upvote 2

I liked his statements on closing the gray areas and cleaning up the training. The fact that someone at national is acknowledging that some of the training is unclear and creates gray areas is a BIG positive.

Edited by Tron
  • Upvote 1

Related

IRVING, Texas – October 4, 2023 – The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) convened its inaugural meeting of the Youth Protection Committee on August 30, 2023, at the BSA headquarters. Comprising representatives from the BSA, six adult survivors of child sexual abuse within Scouting, Local Councils, Chartered Organizations, and industry experts, the committee is charged with further enhancing the culture of safety and accountability throughout the organization and its community. 

The committee has begun outlining a long-term vision for youth protection and safe Scouting, as well as the shared commitment to transparency and accountability. Additionally, the members are providing direction to the BSA as the organization pursues key projects to recognize survivors of abuse in Scouting and further improve youth protection. 

Newly appointed BSA Youth Protection Executive Glen Pounder expressed the organization’s unwavering dedication to becoming the gold standard in youth protection.  

“At BSA, we are dedicated to continuingly enhancing youth protection,” Pounder said. “We must remain alert to addressing evolving threats, and we must help empower youth to protect themselves.” 

Pounder also acknowledged the invaluable contribution of the survivors of abuse within Scouting who have joined the committee. He expressed gratitude for their bravery and steadfast commitment to creating a safe and secure environment for all youth involved in Scouting. 

“As we seek to set the tone for safety, not just at the BSA, but also among all youth-serving organizations and beyond, to have survivors help us with this work is crucial. Their strength is truly inspiring,” Pounder said.

The Youth Protection Committee will continue to engage with BSA through discussion, consultation, and review with the Youth Protection Executive. The Committee will also provide valuable feedback and public recommendations on the BSA’s existing youth protection policies and procedures, as well as enhancements to the implementation of the organization’s youth protection training program. 

“This committee has a vital responsibility – not just to the Scouts in the program – but to the youth of America,” said Committee Chair Dr. Michael Bourke, a leading expert in matters pertaining to child exploitation and criminal behavior. “We look forward to taking on this challenge and we are committed to making a powerful and far-reaching impact on youth safety in our society.” 

The Youth Protection Committee will help ensure the BSA delivers on its commitment provide a safe and secure environment for all youth in Scouting, and that it takes all necessary steps to become the “gold standard” in youth protection. 

Source:

https://www.scoutingnewsroom.org/press-releases/bsa-launches-new-youth-protection-committee-to-help-ensure-safe-scouting/

Edited by RememberSchiff
insert Bourke link
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 10/23/2023 at 10:51 AM, RememberSchiff said:

The Youth Protection Committee will continue to engage with BSA through discussion, consultation, and review with the Youth Protection Executive. The Committee will also provide valuable feedback and public recommendations on the BSA’s existing youth protection policies and procedures, as well as enhancements to the implementation of the organization’s youth protection training program. 

“This committee has a vital responsibility – not just to the Scouts in the program – but to the youth of America,” said Committee Chair Dr. Michael Bourke, a leading expert in matters pertaining to child exploitation and criminal behavior. “We look forward to taking on this challenge and we are committed to making a powerful and far-reaching impact on youth safety in our society.” 

The Youth Protection Committee will help ensure the BSA delivers on its commitment provide a safe and secure environment for all youth in Scouting, and that it takes all necessary steps to become the “gold standard” in youth protection.

Dr. Michael Bourke, PhD, and Chief Psychologist with the Behavioral Analysis Unit, United States Marshal Service, describes how the Boy Scouts of America's establishment and continued refinement of youth protection policies have made Scouting one of the safest programs for youth today.

Yet, the damage done by the media hype is still smearing BSA.  Not sure it will ever be overcome in some parts of the public view.  And sadly, the loudest voices against BSA are still pushing it.  Vigilance and awareness will still not make it fail safe.  It is just not possible.  

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, skeptic said:

Yet, the damage done by the media hype is still smearing BSA.  Not sure it will ever be overcome in some parts of the public view.  And sadly, the loudest voices against BSA are still pushing it.  Vigilance and awareness will still not make it fail safe.  It is just not possible.  

We now have two dedicated YP experts who are also skilled and experienced in speaking to the public and facing the media. I doubt either Mr. Pounder ("my views are my own") or Dr. Bourke could be muzzled by the BSA.

When I heard Mr. Pounder was at the National Jamboree (he also visited Sea Base), I thought great, he and Scott Pelley would get together for a timely, unscripted 60 minutes interview with outdoor scouting activities in the background. Instead we have a controlled, soft interview in an Irving office .

IMHO a Scott Pelley, or equivalent, interview of Mr. Pounder and Dr. Bourke would help educate the public and ourselves of our YP work going forward.

My $0.02,

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

I work for a large financial services company. They spend millions of dollars on cybersecurity each year. Recently, my employer opened a beautiful, state-of-the-art facility dedicated to cyber defense. One executive suggested we drum up some good press by inviting the media to tour our new facility. He was vetoed by the CEO. The financial services industry doesn't want to advertise how much they spend on cyber defense because, after a certain point, it causes customers to question the safety of their funds.

I think the BSA is getting diminishing returns on their youth protection efforts. I applaud them for taking YP seriously, but if they have to remind people at every turn that Scouting is safe, it's going to raise some eyebrows. They need to strike a better balance, IMHO. Since the BSA will never satisfy its harshest critics, maybe resources are better spent on the families that actually want to be part of the program?

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, BetterWithCheddar said:

Since the BSA will never satisfy its harshest critics, maybe resources are better spent on the families that actually want to be part of the program?

At least right now, my husband definitely needs to hear more about how his scout will be safe in scouting. He's still cracking cynical CSA jokes. He's openly hoping that our cub scout doesn't cross over. 

Families aren't necessarily all in or all out.

25 minutes ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

At least right now, my husband definitely needs to hear more about how his scout will be safe in scouting. He's still cracking cynical CSA jokes. He's openly hoping that our cub scout doesn't cross over. 

Families aren't necessarily all in or all out.

I hear open snide jokes about BSA and CSA from those involved in football and hockey and other activities.  ... I just don't get it ... As long as I've been alive, the worst crimes ... and I do mean crimes ... have been committed by those in those sports against others in the sport or against others in the schools.  Worse, there is every bit as much abuse from adult leaders in those groups as have been in scouts.  ... BSA needs to get better handle on the perception.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

May I ask: What does your husband need to see in order to be convinced that Scouting is safe for your child? Is there another pamphlet, training video, or 60 Minutes interview that's going to put him over the edge?

• Upvote 1

As a parent, I want transparency of the problems/dangers my child might face and involvement in the proposed prevention and responses. All things in my child's life - school, sports, scouts.

Mr. Pounder partially addresses these concerns about 6:00 in his video interview where he explains the need for new YP training to doubters.

It's about explaining the WHY ... create an avenue where we take FEEDBACK as we are planning the training. We don't develop the training and say here it is!

We are going to have a staged approach to this so we have a feedback cycle to check with folks in council and the VOLUNTEERS. Is this training exactly as we want it to be. Can you give us feedback as we go towards finalizing it.

Wow what a paradigm shift for BSA that will be ~ RS

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1