My grandson was born premature and had large motor delay.  He is 16 and fell off his bike one time when about 7 and hasn't gotten back on one since.  Is he able to ride a stationary bike for requirement 9 (3)?  This is the one he is most comfortable with doing. 

Thanks !! 

@mrhalas2001 welcome to scouter.com

For discussion https://www.scouting.org/merit-badges/camping/

9. Show experience in camping by doing the following:
  • (a) Camp a total of at least 20 nights at designated Scouting activities or events. One long-term camping experience of up to six consecutive nights may be applied toward this requirement. Sleep each night under the sky or in a tent you have pitched. If the camp provides a tent that has already been pitched, you need not pitch your own tent.
  • (b) On any of these camping experiences, you must do TWO of the following, only with proper preparation and under qualified supervision.
  • (1) Hike up a mountain, gaining at least 1,000 vertical feet.
  • (2) Backpack, snowshoe, or cross-country ski for at least 4 miles.
  • (3) Take a bike trip of at least 15 miles or at least four hours.
  • (4) Take a nonmotorized trip on the water of at least four hours or 5 miles.
  • (5) Plan and carry out an overnight snow camping experience.
  • (6) Rappel down a rappel route of 30 feet or more.
  • (c) Perform a conservation project approved by the landowner or land managing agency. This can be done alone or with others.

He should discuss it with this merit badge counselor, but I would say no. It says take a trip AND there are other options to meet the equipment that may be better suited for him. Again, his counselor will provide counsel. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm leaning on the "no" side too.  The requirement shows to do two of the six eligible items.  I've had scouts try to use a motorized bicycle to meet #3.  I frowned on it.  Had one try to use Grandmother's adult tricycle without reason (owned a bicycle) just to push the limits.    I think the intent of the requirement is to create different experiences in method, exposure to differences in the options, and be outdoors.  I had a scout with cerebral palsy complete the hiking MB, with the last hike of 20 miles.  Not a complaint or issue, only smiles for accomplishing one of the hardest things he ever did.

• Like 2

No for different reasons.  It's just a badge.  Earning that specific badge isn't really needed.  It won't block advancement. 

What about really growing as a person?  That's the MB purpose.  Using a real bike is meaningful and useful.  ... Would he wear the badge with pride and a symbol of fulfilling what the badge is about?  I'd argue no.   Sitting on a stationary bike for hours is exercise and not much about cycling.  It's like parents that wanted kids to earn camping but the kid would not sleep outside in a tent.  So, can you earn "camping" by pitching a tent inside a cabin and then sleep in the tent?  I'd argue no.  

The key point is scout rank and scout merit badges are just not that important.  Learning and growing is.  Now, we can be extremely flexible in interpreting requirements.  

13 hours ago, mrhalas2001 said:

My grandson was born premature and had large motor delay.  He is 16 and fell off his bike one time when about 7 and hasn't gotten back on one since.  Is he able to ride a stationary bike for requirement 9 (3)?  This is the one he is most comfortable with doing. 

Thanks !! 

No.  But, if he has motor/balance problems, I see no issue with him riding a three-wheeler during the trip.

We also have a Scout with cerebral palsy.  We got him an adaptive three-wheeler, like this, but with a higher back, as he has some significant scoliosis as well:

TR16withbackrestcleanimage

With severe ataxia, he will, most likely, never ride a two-wheeler.  So, we use this cycle to meet his requirements.

The "bike" (poor wording IMO) requirement also gives them experience planning, working with their buddies, packing the right gear (Scout essentials, and maybe a lunch?), learning trail etiquette, map reading, dealing with weather and elements, being in the outdoors, etc., etc, etc.  Riding a stationary cycle does not help with these experiences.

Now, if you believe his disability is severe enough, you can appeal for a modification of requirements.  There is a process outlined in the Guide to Advancement.

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/33088.pdf

Section 10.2.2.1:

"A degree of modification in advancement requirements may be necessary to mainstream as many members with disabilities as possible. Thus a Scout with a permanent physical or cognitive disability, or a disability expected to last more than two years, or beyond age 18, who is unable to complete all the requirements for Scout, Tenderfoot, Second Class, or First Class rank may, with his or her parent or guardian, and also the unit leader or a member of the troop committee, submit a request to the council advancement committee to complete alternative requirements."

and 

"Simple modifications very close to existing requirements need not be approved. A Scout in a wheelchair, for example, may meet the Second Class requirement for hiking by “wheeling” to a place of interest. Allowing more time and permitting special aids are also ways leaders can help Scouts with disabilities make progress. Modifications, however, must provide a very similar challenge and learning experience."

So, using this last guideline, we simply, our the unit level (but with concurrence from district and council advancement folks), decided that the three-wheeler would be fine for "bike", as the experience is "very similar."

BTW, our Scout loves his trike, and completed 148 miles on the Great Allegheny Passage in the summer of 2022!!

Also, @Double Eagle, be advised, motorized bikes (E-bikes) are now prohibited in Scouting:

See #6.

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss07/#b

Hope this helps!

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

Except for the fact that it is Eagle required.

Cycling or hiking or swimming.  It's not really required.  

If none of those are possible, then there are other options like @RememberSchiff suggested.   I read in the original post "had" large motor delays.  I took it as the scout matured slowly.   If the scout still has disabilities, than the disability route should be taken.  

Also, I really like what @InquisitiveScouter suggested.  I see many adults all the time use recumbent bikes.  There are three wheel versions of those too.
https://www.amazon.com/Mobo-Recumbent-Cruiser-Tricycle-3-Wheel/dp/B002LOT6SK/ref=sr_1_16?crid=1CNSPNNDLZ1RE&keywords=recumbent%2Broad%2Bbike%2Bperformance&qid=1696517636&sprefix=recumbant%2Broad%2Bbike%2Bperformance%2Caps%2C112&sr=8-16&th=1

IMHO, I'd really rather see a replacement MB than something that rips the guts out of the MB. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, fred8033 said:

Cycling or hiking or swimming.  It's not really required.

The choice there is to complete either swimming OR hiking OR cycling; one of those three.  None of those replace camping.

Also, I really like what @InquisitiveScouter suggested

I agree.  The requirement is to take a bike trip of at least 15 miles or 4 hours; that is a bike and should be allowed if the scout can complete the requirements using that bike but could not physically do so on a 2-wheel bike.

If none of those are possible, then there are other options like @RememberSchiff suggested.

It may be possible for the scout to look at something on that chart, however, they should be aware of the fact that they do not just choose one of those possible options but must fill out the Application for Alternative Eagle Scout Rank Merit Badges.  That application requires a statement from the scout's doctor stating that there is a medical reason they cannot complete the required badge(s) and must then be approved by both the district and council advancement committees.  There is a restriction on the application that states:  Following a personal conference with the candidate and the candidate’s parent or guardian, we recommend the following alternative merit badge or badges be approved. These must not be merit badges previously earned (Guide to Advancement 10.2.2.3). 

8 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

The choice there is to complete either swimming OR hiking OR cycling; one of those three.  None of those replace camping.

I only mentioned camping as we had a similar challenge with a parent suggesting that camping counted by pitching a tent inside a building counted as camping as the scout did not like sleeping outside.  That defeated purpose of the badge.  Similar to a stationary exercise bike instead of a road bike outside on the road.

• Upvote 2

Paradoxically, sometimes this great prestige that being an Eagle scout confers in US society seems to make scouting harder sometimes. Some kids seem to get pushed into scouting that aren't a great fit for what the program is about.

My US cub scouts ask if I made Eagle in Sweden. Not only didn't we have such a capstone award, being a scout isn't anything I would ever consider putting on my Swedish résumé. Any prestige you get from being an old scout is among other outdoorsy people, and only if you can "back it up" with skills. And worn gear.

Edited by AwakeEnergyScouter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1