My hope for my cubs is that they cross over ready to pitch a tent, pack their gear, read a map, and cook for their patrol, and find their pride in that they can do it themselves. Perhaps sloppily and inefficiently. But knowing from doing what it means to be prepared.

This is my hands-on contribution to the future of the BSA. 

1 hour ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

My hope for my cubs is that they cross over ready to pitch a tent, pack their gear, read a map, and cook for their patrol, and find their pride in that they can do it themselves. Perhaps sloppily and inefficiently. But knowing from doing what it means to be prepared.

This is my hands-on contribution to the future of the BSA. 

But not to ready. The largest group of first year scouts that quit our troop in 6 months had experience camping every month during webelos. They were simply bored. Part of the adventure of being in a troop is learning scout skills from other scouts. A few scouts skills to get them wanting more is ok, but cubs with first class experience tend to leave because the troop program doesn’t live up to the hype.

I used to teach webelos leaders that we would rather have scouts with no outdoors experience who are confident standing in front of groups and mingling with older scouts than trained campers. Our scouts can teach anyone to camp, but the shy scout or camping expert are much harder to mix in the program because they tend to want adult guidance to make them comfortable.

Barry

• Upvote 2

The suggestion to speak with his mB counselor is spot on. While the experience of completing the requirements as written is important to fulfil "advancement" as a method of scouting, the mB process also provides for another significant method, "Adult Association". The conversation, experience and guided decision making opportunity from the Adult Association with the mB counselor cannot be understated in its importance.

When one ponders this query putting the Aim of Scouting in the forefront; the Method of Adult Association to help the Scout navigate their journey of completing this badge becomes strikingly obvious.