Scouts Honor - Netflix

I'll never be convinced that the modern BSA is any worse than most other youth organizations when it comes to prevention. YPT isn't perfect, and nothing is. But it's still miles ahead of what your local sports, clubs, and other youth orgs are doing.

So the idea that the BSA "is still not safe for boys and girls" is unfair. There will never be any youth activity that is completely safe.

And I'm fine with the BSA paying for past sins, for the coverups and failures of leadership. But I hate that today's youth and families are paying for it, too.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you find that the cost of belonging to an organization who has to pay for their past too expensive you can always quit.

An organization is only as good as it's human leadership (General Miley, thank you for calling your office). The ideals not withstanding, the past BSA leadership  were thinking too wishfully. The

I'll never be convinced that the modern BSA is any worse than most other youth organizations when it comes to prevention. YPT isn't perfect, and nothing is. But it's still miles ahead of what your loc

44 minutes ago, FireStone said:

And I'm fine with the BSA paying for past sins, for the coverups and failures of leadership. But I hate that today's youth and families are paying for it, too.

Yes.

But at the same time, there's no workable alternative. What would really have fixed everything requires time travel. So would holding the perpetrators and enablers all personally accountable. And so on and so on. That's part of the sadness. The size of the problem kept growing for many decades because victims didn't get justice while new ones were created.

All that can be done in this very moment is to do everything that still can be, legally speaking, and then "eating bitter" about the cost to today's scouts.

If we can bear this with equanimity, we cut off further lashes of undesirable consequences that we bring on ourselves with aggressive reactions to getting what we don't want. If we can just sit on our hands and soothe our hearts, we can let this karma move on through without creating more. That in turn creates the space to build anew.

We just have to not get bitter ourselves, while eating it skillfully.

On 9/29/2023 at 10:47 PM, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

Yes.

But at the same time, there's no workable alternative. What would really have fixed everything requires time travel. So would holding the perpetrators and enablers all personally accountable. And so on and so on. That's part of the sadness. The size of the problem kept growing for many decades because victims didn't get justice while new ones were created.

All that can be done in this very moment is to do everything that still can be, legally speaking, and then "eating bitter" about the cost to today's scouts.

If we can bear this with equanimity, we cut off further lashes of undesirable consequences that we bring on ourselves with aggressive reactions to getting what we don't want. If we can just sit on our hands and soothe our hearts, we can let this karma move on through without creating more. That in turn creates the space to build anew.

We just have to not get bitter ourselves, while eating it skillfully.

Two wrongs do not make a right.

1 hour ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Two wrongs do not make a right.

In my opinion the two wrongs were first the CSA itself and the second was the cover up by the BSA. The third has been the BSA electing to enter bankruptcy which took away most of the legal rights of the survivors. 

3 minutes ago, johnsch322 said:

In my opinion the two wrongs were first the CSA itself and the second was the cover up by the BSA. The third has been the BSA electing to enter bankruptcy which took away most of the legal rights of the survivors. 

Agreed, so four wrongs still do not make a right.

• Upvote 1
18 minutes ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Agreed, so four wrongs still do not make a right.

Yes, but the first two wrongs means that the organization BSA put themselves in a position of having to pay for what happened. All of the property, Rockwell paintings, gas rights and insurance policies etc. etc. was acquired prior to entering bankruptcy. Very little of the settlement is coming from promissory notes. 

In fact, future or present BSA members hopefully will gain from what has come out of the settlement which is enhanced YPT. I believe the rise in fees is not because of the settlement but more because of loss of membership. Less members mean loss of revenue and increase of fees.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2023 at 9:30 AM, johnsch322 said:

If you find that the cost of belonging to an organization who has to pay for their past too expensive you can always quit.

This is the core point of the lawsuit and bankruptcy for so many; they want BSA to fold, they are not seeking justice.

32 minutes ago, Tron said:

This is the core point of the lawsuit and bankruptcy for so many; they want BSA to fold, they are not seeking justice.

Yes, there was lawsuits prior to the bankruptcy, but the core point of the bankruptcy is the survival of the BSA. The bankruptcy took away ability to seek justice thru the courts in the form of lawsuits.