• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's an idea,,  replace the two adult figures with two  scout figures. 👍 Say if we cannot lose the wings, could we add a left ankle shackle with a broken chain connected to a mint cookie box? 

That's the national scout memorial in Washington, DC, lol. If I remember correctly, it was installed in the early '60s -- which in scout years, would be like the 1930s --  so I guess that's why it is

I agree with  @AwakeEnergyScouter.  I would have skipped mythology and classicalism altogether, see BSA Memorial in DC for the reason. I think having representatives of ladies in the last past and pre

Posted Images

On 7/21/2023 at 9:14 AM, RememberSchiff said:

There's an idea,,  replace the two adult figures with two  scout figures. 👍

Say if we cannot lose the wings, could we add a left ankle shackle with a broken chain connected to a mint cookie box?   :)

I do wonder how much money has been raised by statue sponsorship at Summit.

My $0.02,

Unclear as to amount of contributions for sculptures (or number of sculptures) but I found this entry for contractor compensation in Arrow WV (Irving, TX) Form 990, year ending Dec, 2018. 

https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/270441319/201903199349303075/IRS990

image.thumb.png.2d17f21e1fa84612ad7adc198214fbbe.png

Edited by RememberSchiff

I was glad I took an Art History class while in college (back in the last century). I do not recall a lot, but I remember symbolism was the language used by artists. Nudity was expressive of "purity" or "vulnerability". It is unfortunate that our society has lost this understanding and now views nudity in art as something else. 😥

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, DuctTape said:

I was glad I took an Art History class while in college (back in the last century). I do not recall a lot, but I remember symbolism was the language used by artists. Nudity was expressive of "purity" or "vulnerability". It is unfortunate that our society has lost this understanding and now views nudity in art as something else. 😥

I don't think there is any issue with nudity in public art because it's everywhere. I think the issue with nudity or near nudity in the DC BSA memorial statue is due to discomfort because of the history of child sexual abuse in scouting. Seeing a large near naked man looming behind a boy scout in light of today's situation is uncomfortable for many.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, yknot said:

I don't think there is any issue with nudity in public art because it's everywhere. I think the issue with nudity or near nudity in the DC BSA memorial statue is due to discomfort because of the history of child sexual abuse in scouting. Seeing a large near naked man looming behind a boy scout in light of today's situation is uncomfortable for many.  

If predators were simply identifiable as a buck naked person standing behind any of my scouts, my life would be so much easier.

But 20th century America’s revulsion with nudity in public art runs deeper than that. The history of the Liberty Quarter is another striking example.

But, as we see in this thread, our multicultural society holds diverse views. 

22 minutes ago, qwazse said:

If predators were simply identifiable as a buck naked person standing behind any of my scouts, my life would be so much easier.

But 20th century America’s revulsion with nudity in public art runs deeper than that. The history of the Liberty Quarter is another striking example.

But, as we see in this thread, our multicultural society holds diverse views. 

It has nothing to do with predator recognition, more a comment on how it is a reminder of abuse cases where adult men lured scouts through various activities involving undressed states. I saw that statue in WDC as a kid and even then audible jokes were made by people viewing it. 

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, yknot said:

It has nothing to do with predator recognition, more a comment on how it is a reminder of abuse cases where adult men lured scouts through various activities involving undressed states. I saw that statue in WDC as a kid and even then audible jokes were made by people viewing it. 

I agree it is a reminder. And this is due solely b/c of society as a whole not understanding the language of the symbolism in the art world. Thus society thrusts their own interpretation of the symbolism which misses the mark entirely. I am not casting aspersions or laying blame to societies' ignorance or to artists failure to educate. Just sad commentary on the status, appreciation, and understanding (the lack thereof) of anything but contemporary, popular art in our modern times.