Screw it, we're doing some retired Webelos Adventures

My son hit Webelos this year.  I took a look through the available adventures and saw some really good ones that are retired.  This weekend, we tackled Fix-it.  My autistic 8 y/o loved it.  I haven't seen him this engaged in anything outside of books, Legos, or something on the computer, ever.  I think having a huge menu of tasks to pick from really made him feel empowered.  Getting his own tool set just added to it.  He was super excited to push the cart through Lowes to the tool aisle.  We went around the house fixing some of the things that needed fixing and creating issues to fix for those that didn't need it. He loved it.  I found a site that appears to stock the pins still.  I think we're going to do Looking back, looking forward and Project Family next.  

• Upvote 3

Go for it.  There is much to be said for reviewing stuff from decades back for use today, keeping safety and YP issues in mind of course.  But many of the activities are not unsafe if done with skill and care and of course real supervision.  Much of the time the youth take to it with vigor. 

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

We use some hand me down books in our Pack so my son's Wolf group has been working on Motor Away (retired) unintentionally, our Den Leader is not a big Scoutbook user and we also completed another one.  I think with the big changes this year (especially to Weeblos and AOL) we're going to see a lot of people working on retired ones.

With that said.  I was thinking (for fun) of working on some of the old sports ones from the 90s as I found the original checklist (and have the beltloop and pin because well, they were mine)

How do people feel about working on very retired ones (for fun) obviously if they are still safe and such?

• Upvote 1

Go for it.  None of that stuff gets translated to Scouts, BSA, or further than Cub Scouts.

If you need filler after they complete their appropriate year rank badge, put in whatever you like, as long as it is in line with the Guide to Safe Scouting.

Make sure to recognize their achievements publicly.

If you can find and buy old bling to give them, even better. 

Just know that you may not be able to record these in Scoutbook... no biggie

Edited by InquisitiveScouter
  • Upvote 1

I thought everyone did the retired adventures anyways? We typically finish the required ones fairly quickly and we let them pick whichever ones that want, retired or not. If there is no loop, we make/give them a creative handmade craft in it's place. 

Edited by OaklandAndy
  • Upvote 3

That's a great idea, @OaklandAndy. I'm mourning the loss of the International Spirit Award more and more, as we go through it as a pack. I see the scouts understanding scouts in the bigger picture for every activity we do, and it makes me sad that we can't do it again. But who says? When the scout shop runs out of badges we can make our own 😄

46 minutes ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

I'm mourning the loss of the International Spirit Award more and more

I didn't realize it was no longer available. I thought it was still an earnable award for all. I know it replaced the International Activity and Youth Exchange Award. 

47 minutes ago, OaklandAndy said:
1 hour ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

I'm mourning the loss of the International Spirit Award more and more

I didn't realize it was no longer available. I thought it was still an earnable award for all.

Well... In this exact moment, it is. But since the awards are being replaced by belt loops, and it doesn't seem like there's any adventure called something like what's in it, I'm working under the assumption that it will be discontinued June 1 for cub scouts. I'd be happy to be told that's a misunderstanding.

18 hours ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

Well... In this exact moment, it is. But since the awards are being replaced by belt loops, and it doesn't seem like there's any adventure called something like what's in it, I'm working under the assumption that it will be discontinued June 1 for cub scouts. I'd be happy to be told that's a misunderstanding.

What is happening per cubchat is that national polled parents and had a 12% response rate (which is apparently high) and parents told national they hate sewing stuff on uniforms. What national decided to do was change all patches to loops/pins. There is supposed to be more information available this month; based on what I've read everything that was an award still exists but many are becoming elective adventures after June 1st and the scout shops will only stock the new belt loops and pins.

EG: Outdoor Activity Award will still exist, but in its new form it becomes a belt loop instead of a pocket flap patch.

1 minute ago, Tron said:

What is happening per cubchat is that national polled parents and had a 12% response rate (which is apparently high) and parents told national they hate sewing stuff on uniforms. What national decided to do was change all patches to loops/pins. There is supposed to be more information available this month; based on what I've read everything that was an award still exists but many are becoming elective adventures after June 1st and the scout shops will only stock the new belt loops and pins.

EG: Outdoor Activity Award will still exist, but in its new form it becomes a belt loop instead of a pocket flap patch.

Ugh... why doesn't National get with the program and use velcro!?  

Adding velcro to uniforms and patches makes things lighter than metal and more easily interchangeable.

I believe it would be a cheaper alternative than metal awards and insignia... and could possibly be sourced from recycled materials.

Production of metal gadgets with paints and coatings seems less eco-friendly, but I reserve the right to be wrong.

• Upvote 1

National didn't poll my scout, who hates taking the belt with all the loops on and off and therefore mostly refuses to wear it. They're not wrong - the loops end up scattering all over the floor a lot. It doesn't have the right vibe. Plus, what kind of a scout shirt isn't covered in patches? And aren't all the sewing avoidance methods already offered enough? 🤦🏼‍♀️

And then there's the ecological impact.

I thought the reason for the move to belt loops was just a consequence of that they wanted to move the awards to adventures because the awards were earned by less than 1% of scouts. Came as a surprise to me, because in our pack scouts earn awards all the time. We even provide earmarked opportunities to earn the Outdoor Activity Award, the International Spirit Award (and therefore the World Conservation Award), and the NPS Ranger Award. 

• Upvote 2