Council Scout bronze statue stolen

On 6/1/2022 at 5:20 PM, MattR said:

True shame, but given that people are ripping off trailers for scrap I'm unfortunately not surprised.

As an art person who is also very sentimental and protective of monuments, this sickens me. My youngest son is with an auto insurer's Special Investigative Unit. Thefts of catalytic converters rose 325% during the pandemic and not because people needed money all of a sudden. Simply, cars were sitting everywhere begging to be stripped of precious metal. One company had $21M in these claims in a six month period of Covid lockdowns. Skilled thieves take less than a minute. One report was of a ring hitting retirement homes and ambulances. I do mean ring, btw. 30 people involved in one general location. Disgusting. 

• Thanks 1
On 6/2/2022 at 9:14 AM, qwazse said:

Time to get serious with that welding MB. :ph34r:

...now if part of the statute could be put back together by scouts, that would speak to our character, say akin to our cracked Liberty Bell. 

my $0.02,

A Boy Scout Merit Badge Camp at Sikeston Career and Technology Center (MO) is hosting a welding event for scouts to gain hands-on learning experience with welding.

”Right now, we have around 130 to 150 participants,” said Welding Instructor Brent Trankler.

“It’s an exposure to a skill in trade that they might not get to see. We’ve used it as a recruitment tool for my class here and we get a lot of kids interested in it at youth,” Brent Trankler said.

“These activities include wire welding, stick welding, oxy fuel cutting, some virtual welding machines that were donated by Lincoln Electric and we also have a black smithing event,” said Trankler.

https://www.kfvs12.com/2022/06/03/more-than-150-boy-scouts-attend-welding-event-tomorrow/

3 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

...now if part of the statute could be put back together by scouts, that would speak to our character, say akin to our cracked Liberty Bell. 

my $0.02,

A Boy Scout Merit Badge Camp at Sikeston Career and Technology Center (MO) is hosting a welding event for scouts to gain hands-on learning experience with welding.

”Right now, we have around 130 to 150 participants,” said Welding Instructor Brent Trankler.

“It’s an exposure to a skill in trade that they might not get to see. We’ve used it as a recruitment tool for my class here and we get a lot of kids interested in it at youth,” Brent Trankler said.

“These activities include wire welding, stick welding, oxy fuel cutting, some virtual welding machines that were donated by Lincoln Electric and we also have a black smithing event,” said Trankler.

https://www.kfvs12.com/2022/06/03/more-than-150-boy-scouts-attend-welding-event-tomorrow/

I like the spirit of this idea; however, I doubt most if any scouts can really do a great job on a statue.  I could only imagine an arm falling off in a year or two.   Perhaps scouts can help spot weld some of the pieces together and a few professional welders can finish with good clean tig welds. 

I would be more optimistic if they just cut the statue in half or thirds.  They really cut it up a lot.  I wonder if it would be better to just melt down the bronze and have someone do a new casting.    

• Thanks 1

Other thoughts:

-  purchase a surplus MacKenzie statue from a council about to be merged.

- 3D scan my 4" x 1.5" MacKensie and scale for full size mold fabrication.  :D

- borrow another council's statue, cut into the 3 or 4? sections sufficient for molding new statue. Re-weld :o

- recycle, move on, plant a tree. I really cannot see purchasing a replacement statue.  👍

My $0.01

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

Update 06/06/2022:

Two men (brothers) are in custody in connection with the statue theft.  Both are charged with possession of stolen goods greater than $10,000 and malicious damage to property greater than $10,000.

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/arrests-made-after-suspects-cut-up-life-sized-boy-scout-statue-attempt-to-sell-parts

https://www.live5news.com/2022/06/06/brothers-accused-stealing-cutting-up-boy-scout-statue/

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1