Scout Vesper, second verse, and products for females in camp shops

This is something that I heard for the first time while at camp, the Scout Vesper second verse...

Listen Lord, oh listen Lord,
As I whisper soft and low,
Bless my Mom and bless my Dad,
There is something they should know.
I have kept my honor bright.
The Oath and Law has been my guide.
Mom and Dad, this you should know,
Deep in my heart I love you so.

The thing that struck me is the "mom and dad" mentions.  When I was recently having a discussion about culturally responsive teaching with our school superintendent, she mentioned an example from a kindergarten class with a young teacher who was often referring to "mom and dad".  However, one of the little 5 year olds did not have a mom and dad,  they had two dads.  

I wonder if the verse with "mom and dad" still works for Scouts in the 21st century.  I very much appreciate moms and dads, but I wonder if this verse is painful for any Scouts. 

Just thinking.

Also, one of my female Scouter friends asked me to write on the adult feedback form that the camp store should carry feminine hygeine products along with the stuff they have.  I am at a point where I don't have to worry about periods anymore, but I thought she made a good comment.  Teen girl scouts (and venturers, and... are there female sea scouts? and adult female scouts) may need these supplies at times.

56 minutes ago, WisconsinMomma said:

This is something that I heard for the first time while at camp, the Scout Vesper second verse...

As I whisper soft and low,
Bless my Mom and bless my Dad,
There is something they should know.
I have kept my honor bright.
The Oath and Law has been my guide.
Mom and Dad, this you should know,

The thing that struck me is the "mom and dad" mentions.  When I was recently having a discussion about culturally responsive teaching with our school superintendent, she mentioned an example from a kindergarten class with a young teacher who was often referring to "mom and dad".  However, one of the little 5 year olds did not have a mom and dad,  they had two dads.  

I wonder if the verse with "mom and dad" still works for Scouts in the 21st century.  I very much appreciate moms and dads, but I wonder if this verse is painful for any Scouts. 

Just thinking.

Also, one of my female Scouter friends asked me to write on the adult feedback form that the camp store should carry feminine hygeine products along with the stuff they have.  I am at a point where I don't have to worry about periods anymore, but I thought she made a good comment.  Teen girl scouts (and venturers, and... are there female sea scouts? and adult female scouts) may need these supplies at times.

It's an easy rewrite: 

Bless our Moms and bless our Dads... 

Moms and Dads, you should know... 

Then it includes anyone who just has a mom or a dad or plural of both. Don't know what to do about kids who are being raised by grandparents, other relatives, or guardians, but this would make it more inclusive.

The supplies issue is a miss. I'm sure they are at the health office but since it's not a medical problem, you should just be able to just buy them in the store.  And although it is not a medical problem it is a good idea to add some to the list for the camp first aid box. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Sentinel947 said:

I've been involved in Boy Scouts/ Scouts BSA since 2005. I've never heard the second verse of Scout Vespers... I didn't even know it had a second verse. I learned something today. 

Been in a lot longer than 2005, and never knew there was a second verse.

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, WisconsinMomma said:

What a sad time we live in.

20 hours ago, WisconsinMomma said:

the camp store should carry feminine hygeine products along with the stuff they have.

Pack it yourself, whether you think you might need it or not.  "Be Prepared"

3 minutes ago, tnmule20 said:

Pack it yourself, whether you think you might need it or not.  "Be Prepared"

I think most people do but remember these kids can be 8 to 12 when they get their first period, often unexpectedly. This is not a situation where you say, oh well, you forgot to pack lunch, go hungry and you'll learn for next time. 

• Upvote 1

Song - Scout Vespers

Sing with reverence.

Sing to tune of: "Oh Christmas Tree"

Classic Words:

Softly falls the light of day,
While our campfire fades away.
Silently each Scout should ask
Have I done my daily task?
Have I kept my honor bright?
Can I guiltless sleep tonight?
Have I done and have I dared
Everything to be prepared?

As I whisper soft and low.
Bless my mom and Bless my dad,
These are things that they should know.
I will keep my honor Bright,
The oath and law will be my guide.
And mom and dad this you should know,

Second version

Quietly we join as one,
Thanking God for Scouting fun
May we now go on our way,
Thankful for another day.
May we always love and share,
Living in peace beyond compare.
As Scout may we find,
Friendships true with all mankind.

Quietly we now will part,
Pledging ever in our heart,
To strive to do our best each day,
As we travel down life's way.
Happiness we'll try to give,
Trying a better life to live,
'Till all the world be joined in love,
Living in peace under skies above.

• Upvote 2
16 minutes ago, yknot said:

I think most people do but remember these kids can be 8 to 12 when they get their first period, often unexpectedly. This is not a situation where you say, oh well, you forgot to pack lunch, go hungry and you'll learn for next time. 

Fair enough. Then the Pack Adult Quartermaster or the Troop Adult Quartermaster should "Be Prepared" 

21 hours ago, WisconsinMomma said:

I am going to assume it depends upon the camp you are at. They were available at the camp I attended this year.

8 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

There is no “Troop Adult Quartermaster”. Quartermaster is a Scout POR. 

Whatever. You understand what I'm saying. Put an adult in charge of the feminine products so it can be available when needed. 

20 minutes ago, tnmule20 said:

You understand what I'm saying. Put an adult in charge of the feminine products so it can be available when needed. 

Actually, I didn’t. We just have some in our first aid kit as we take it on all campouts. Since we are Scout led, we just have the normal quartermaster is responsible for restocking. We also have a “guide” if it is your first period. 

On 7/26/2021 at 9:07 AM, Eagle94-A1 said:

Been in a lot longer than 2005, and never knew there was a second verse.

Well.   As in many songs, there is often many additional verses if someone thinks there needs to be.  Orrrrr....

Additional songs....

Softly falls the rain today,
As our campfire floats away.
Silently each scout should ask,
Did I bring my scuba mask?
Did I tie my tent flaps down?
Learn to swim so I won't drown?
Have I done and did I try,
Everything to keep me dry

• Haha 1