CynicalScouter

"Establish minimum standards to be considered a council"

Posted (edited)

No, but National's ability to issue council charters is. And I cannot think of ANY bankruptcy I ever heard of where the court ordered the chartered entity to relinquish their congressional charter (and I looked).

Remember: they filed a Chapter 11 (reorganization) not a Chapter 7 (liquidation). You might have an argument that National surrendered its ability to function entirely with a Chapter 7, but that is not what it happening.

Edited by CynicalScouter
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carebear3895 said:

It's peoples livelihoods.... 

That's a big part of the problem.  The executives think BSA exists to pay their salaries.

9 minutes ago, David CO said:

That's a big part of the problem.  The executives think BSA exists to pay their salaries.

Just curious, when Ford came out with the Pinto and gas tanks were exploding, did you blame all the workers for that?

2 hours ago, MattR said:

Just curious, when Ford came out with the Pinto and gas tanks were exploding, did you blame all the workers for that?

All subcompact cars were unsafe.   

Here is how I see it regarding pros. Disclosure, I was a DE and worked for National Supply.

There are a lot of good, honest professionals who wants what is best for the youth. I was one, some of my workers were as well. And I have had some good DEs I've worked with over the years. But there are also a lot of pros who do not live up to the Oath and Law. They will lie, steal, and do whatever it takes to get ahead.

The good ones tend to not stick around long.They get burned out, frustrated, or harassed  into leaving. Because they have to work twice and thrice as hard as the unscrupulous pros, they get burnt out much faster or get so frustrated with their situation that they leave. Why work so hard and not get truly recognized for the hard work. Worse is being harassed to leave. When I was a DE, my DFS and SE were both willing to do anything to not only meet goals, but be #1 in their division. When they realized I would not play their games, they harassed me into quitting. Cancelling training 4 days before leaving, rearranging my my week of summer camp until after I was married, causing me to cut short my honeymoon for a "mandatory meeting" in which only 1 other DE was at because he was at camp,  having me drive 2 hours round trip for a "meeting" which lasted all of 1 minute because I was picking up a video for them to return, etc.

They few good pros that advance tend to get sidelined to smaller councils. Their performance does not compare to those taking all the shortcuts.

• Upvote 4

56 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

They will lie, steal, and do whatever it takes to get ahead.

That pretty much describes all of the executives I've ever dealt with.  It's all about the paycheck.  No concern for the kids.

• Upvote 1

@David CO

There are certainly scouting professionals that leave a lot to be desired.  The Peter Principle applies in many cases at the SE level.   This happens in lots of organizations including Congress for sure.  There are many issues with professional scouters.  One I've seen over and over is zero training in Customer Service and how to trust volunteers to do jobs.    "No you can't collect the $5.00 fee for the Pinewood Derby...I have to sit here for 4 hours writing out $5 receipts to the 50 scouts who are here".    The Executive Boards are neutered either by design or they just give up.