question re: can b.s. account be spent on eagle project?

Hi. I need two questions answered by someone who absolutely knows the rules. Can a boy scout spend a portion of his boy scout account on supplies for his eagle project? Is there any confusion about this? Is it also your understanding that parents can or cannot spend their own money on refreshments for the boys participating in the eagle project? Thank you in advance for your help. I am being told two different things, and an eagle scout is being questioned in retrospect. Thanks in advance for your help.

As far as your first question, I think the individual troop would have rules for the scout's use of their accounts. As far as the parents providing treats or lunch for the workers, this is quite common in our troop. Whether it is a hot dog BBQ lunch, or a quick trip to McDonalds, I can;t see where this would be a problem. Good luck!

I have assisted with advice to the Scout or as a Troop Committee member who reviewed at least 7 Eagle Leadership Projects in the last 3 years. All of these Scouts were responsible for funding their projects. Scout accounts are absolutely not allowed. They must raise the money through a fundraiser or donations to the project in money or materials. Parents or relatives are not allowed to give donations.

The project includes feeding the volunteers if it goes all day and includes a lunch break. Feeding the volunteers could be- bring your own bag lunch, I will arrange to supply the water in a cooler... Tony's pizza has been asked and will donate lunch in the form of pizza and drinks... I have raised the money and will pay for... or any other of a number of ways to feed the group. Having mommy and daddy pay for the meal does not show much leadership in my opinion. Remember, this is a leadership project.

However, all of this should be discussed in advance and is considered part of the project. If the young man is already an Eagle, I presume it is too late to quibble.

Personal scout accounts that are actually a set-aside in a troops budget are not controlled by the BSA so there would be no BSA rule against it.

Here is what the BSA does say about fundraising and Eagle Scout Projects.

"Fundraising is permitted only for securing materials or supplies needed to carry out the project"

If the unit has no restriction on the use of the account and the Scout wants to donate his own money to the project, there is no BSA rule against it.

Bob, does this mean that the Scout who is independently wealthy can simply stroke a check for his supplies and materials?

If I were the District Advancement Chairman who approves these projects in our district, I would not allow such funds to be used.

I am with Bob White, if a Scout wants to use his money on his Eagle project, that is his choice.

In our small town the local hardware stores are about tapped out with Scouts asking for donations. There are so many fund raising events, both Scout and non Scout trying to fund raise the money is really tough. Not impossible but tough.

If the money in the account is really his (Not part of the troop account.) I see no reason why it can't be used.

Eamonn.

Not all Eagle projects require raising money. Many projects on our council are funded by the Parks and Rec dept or the Church/CO that it benefits. In the District we always make sure every project has a budget, is only to show the scout the value of the project. To me the most important issue is the scout's overall leadership role, not how the project was funded.

I appreciate the opinions of the esteemed participants of this thread. I mean that sincerely and with no sarcasm. I am only telling you what we do in our district.

Fundraising for a project is considered integral to the leadership demonstrated. How the Scout obtains his construction materials and supplies(tools, food, etc.) is part of the project. All Scouts should be on a level playing field. Therefore, scout accounts and personal funds are NOT allowed in our district. Contributions by family members or relatives are not allowed. Further, the Scout must state in the Project Work Book how the funds, tools, materials, food will be obtained. Since no work can be done on the project (including the funding of the project) until it is approved at all levels- Institution, SM, Committee and District, no funds obtained prior to approval can be used.

You can see why it is done this way. It puts all Scouts at the same level at the start of the project. We want to see Leadership in executing the project which includes obtaining the materials, supplies, and funds.

Having said this, the paradigm shifts. I have researched the Project through various sources including the Workbook, SM handbook, and online. I have found an "Eagle Scout Leadership Service Project Workbook Guidelines" from the Atlanta Area Council.

http://www.troop350.org/scoutskills/leadersh.doc

I have seen other forms of this document and our district uses one. It is not an official document but has a clear explanation of each part of the project.

As far as I know, our District's guidelines for funding the project have always been as described above. Having heard from BobWhite, Eamonn and OGE (with a respected 10,000 posts to the Forum from the 3 of them), I must say that our District seems to be adding to the requirements as there is nothing that restricts the source of the funding that I can find in any official document.

Is it reasonable to ask all Scouts to start from the same point? Yes.

Should a rich kid have an advantage of funding over a poor one? No.

Should funds obtained prior to approval of the projects be allowed? No.

Are any of these requirements? NO!

(This message has been edited by boleta)

I agree...the requirements for the project are in the Eagle Scout Leadership Project Workbook. You may neither add nor subtract from the requirements.

Those judging the Project (SM, Troop Committee, District Advancement Committee) should keep in mind that the quality of a project is a function of the qulity of the Leadership demonstrated, not a function of the quality of the product or of the money spent on it.

Eagle projects are unique. It is required that the boy demonstrate leadership. The manner in which the boy demonstrates his leadership will be unique to his particular project.

Judging a particular project involves looking at the entire project as a whole. If significant leadership is involved in obtaining funds and materials, that's fine. If the boy pays for everything out of his own pocket that could be OK too and he will demonstrate his leadership through other aspects of his project.

If the boy meets the requirements stated in the workbook, the manner in which he meets them should not make any difference.

To answer solmate's question, the rules are in the workbook.

FYI, the money in his account was only used as a budget contingency for cost overruns (about 10 percent of the total cost) for his very large project, and this was in his original plan that was presented to committees, etc.

He is not rich, and he raised all of the money for the project (over 500 dollars) himself. The project itself was a big one, with several workdays and many hundreds of hours involved.

Thank you all for your help with these questions.

In our troop, a Scout's account can be used for uniforms, camp dues, weekly dues,

anything from the Scout shop, or camping supplies from Wal-Mart or other stores (as long as it pertains to Scouts). So if the food has to do with the Court of Honor ceremony, like the special cake and decorations I would think our treasurer would approve of that being a "Scout" expense. It would be different if you were starting out, probably. But at this point in your journey I don't see why not. But, how a Scout account is able to be spent is left up to individual Troops.

For example, several years ago in my town (I live in a small town with 3 troops)we had one troop that allowed their Scouts to pocket their percentage of the Trails End popcorn "earnings." Scouts from another troop got wind of this and had a major fit, screaming to their Scoutmaster and treasurer how "unfair" it was that he and his buddies had to only spend their money on Scout supplies. So, at a district meeting this was brought up and as a district (or maybe just within the town, I don't know, it was before my time) a rule was passed that all troops spend their Scout accounts only on supplies.

Good luck, and most of all, congradulations! My son is 1 Eagle badge (and a project) away from Eagle also. It is so exciting!

A couple things here....

If a scout wants to use his own money in a troop accout (money that is raised mostly through fundraising efforts) to help fund his project or to feed the people who are SUPPORTING HIM...then I say go for it!

Also to the person who stated he would not allow it if he was District Advancement Chair....BSA does not state anything to the contrary....we on the district level cannot make our own rules. We are to make sure the policies in place are followed. We approve projects on the basis of National policy...not personal ideas that we feel are good to enforce on others.

I volunteer as a member of the District Adancement Committee (for those unsure that's the "Official" title of the person that chairs Eagle Boards. I've lost track of how many boys have sat in front of me, and talked to me about their projects.

So what do I do? I ask them where their money came from, and then I ask if it could have come from someplace else. Not because I think they got it from the wrong place, but just to get thinking. If "The Bank of Ameri-dad" funded it, it has no effect on my decision. If mom and dad feed the crowds, it has no decision. If the scout figured out how to pay for it my themselves, I commend the young man for a job well done. As previously posted you can't fund raise for anything other than supplies, etc. I have a hard time thinking the Court of Honor is supplies, or that lunch for the workers falls there either.

Good Luck!