Not new but revisiting

Greetings,

I have been absent for several weeks due to a number of reasons. One was that I have started my own business (which by the way is going very well) and another is that I have been helping my mother to get her home of 46 years ready to put on the market as she is moving in with one of my brothers. The other reasons we do not need to revisit.

I would like to thank every one who took the time to write me. It was very nice to keep in touch with you. Others have chatted with me or swapped messages on other scouting forums.

I never introduced myself when I began here about two years ago (I think it was that long?) so maybe I should do so now.

I am a scout leader in the Central Region, this is my 37th or so year in scouting. I was a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Explorer. I have been a Webelos leader, Cub Master, Pack Committee Member, Scoutmaster Asssistant scoutmaster, District Commissioner, Asst. Council Commissioner, Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner, District Training Chair, chaired several camporees, Dean of Commissioners College, 4 Wood Badge staffings, I train at local, area and national levels. I have been a troop leader at a National Jamboree and my Star Scoout son and I will be on National Staff at the upcoming one.

I really like, and really believe in the scouting program. I have found it works great if and when you use it. The better you follow it the better it works.

I love to help volunteers who want to learn the program and give the scouts a real scouting experience, and have very little patience for those who want to wear the uniform (or part of it) but don't want to follow the program.

It doesn't take long to figure out which is which.

Some will be happy to see me post. Some will not.

It doesn't take long to figure out which is which.

It's not so much that I mind them ruining the unit they serve if that is what their charter organization is willing to let them do, its just that I hate to see them telling others how to ruin their units too. Too many dedicated scouters spend too many hours trying to teach the scouting program to have a few be able to lead them astray only because they own a keyboard.

So thats about it. I will always answer any questions asked of me, and will always try to point you to the BSA resource that can solve your problems.

Happy Scouting!

BW

Remember Bob if you treat people with the same respect you expect then there will be few confrontations. As you told me once that you do not consider yourself an expert on scouting and I believe none of us are, but we all share the same love of scouting and helping youth. In other words you can view a glass as half empty or half full, both are correct just two different views of the same situation. Welcome back Robert.

Welcome back, BW! I don't post often, but do enjoy reading your views on things. I also like reading folks' opposing views. What I like most of all is when y'all are respectful to each other when you have those opposing views!

What is with this "Revisiting" bit? You know that I get confused without much effort.

As you are aware I do for the most part share your take on Scouts and Scouting. In fact during your absence I was at one point asked if I was you? I made a joke about it, however I took it as a compliment.

While the forum is a wonderful place to exchange ideas, look at things from a view point that differs from the one that we might hold. Most times the people who post never become close. A lot of the time we never know very much about the other people in the forum. Sure I might say I am a lot of things and have done a lot of things, but who really knows?

I think that I have been very fortunate, during the time that I have been posting here I have got to really know several of the "Regulars" and have got close enough to be able to call them friends. To the best of my knowledge I have never met anyone who posts here regularly in person. When I first came on board I never in my wildest dreams thought that I would end up making friends or being close to the other people in the forum. I am really looking forward to meeting and putting faces to the people who will be at the Jambo, heck it will be nice to find out what their real name is!!

Terry our host along with Hops and OGE do a wonderful job of allowing us to meet here and do what we do without any un-needed interference. Sure there have been some dark days, will we ever forget them? I don't think so. I do hope that we all learned something from them. Maybe we know how the backspace key works? Maybe we know that if someone is a real twit that the ignore this user what-ever-it's called is the way to go!! So far I have only used it twice.

Welcome back,I hope this revisit turns out to be a long revisit.

Eamonn

"I am a scout leader in the Central Region, this is my 37th or so year in scouting. I was a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, and Explorer. I have been a Webelos leader, Cub Master, Pack Committee Member, Scoutmaster Asssistant scoutmaster, District Commissioner, Asst. Council Commissioner, Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner, District Training Chair, chaired several camporees, Dean of Commissioners College, 4 Wood Badge staffings, I train at local, area and national levels. I have been a troop leader at a National Jamboree and my Star Scoout son and I will be on National Staff at the upcoming one."

If this wasn't Scouting, people might think you couldn't hold a job. :)

Thanks for all you do. You are a wealth of knowledge even when we do not always agree.