JTE scorecard - division by zero error

I was looking over the JTE scorecard as my troop was thinking about plans for the coming year.  It puzzles me as to how to apply "retention" to a brand-new all-girl troop with a charter year ending in December.   The percentage retention is to be calculated as

Number of youth members on the most recent charter renewal (A) divided by the number of youth registered at the end of the prior
charter year (B) minus any age-outs (C). Total = (A) / (B-C). Age-outs are youth who are too old to reregister as Scouts. If the troop has a
December charter, use the one expiring on December 31, 2018; otherwise use the one expiring during 2019.

Percentage is thus (0-0)/0  

If dividing by zero is bad, then dividing zero by zero is even worse!

Does this mean that this is one less category available in which new troops can earn points?

We already have enough points for bronze, but might not have enough categories (objectives).

According to Scout math, I think you can argue:

(0-0)/0

is the same as:

0/0

Since you can now factor out the common 0's, it's really:

1*(0/0)

Since the 0's cancel each other this is really:

which is 1.  So, according to my Scout math, you get full credit :)

5 hours ago, Treflienne said:

Number of youth members on the most recent charter renewal (A) divided by the number of youth registered at the end of the prior
charter year (B) minus any age-outs (C). Total = (A) / (B-C). Age-outs are youth who are too old to reregister as Scouts. If the troop has a
December charter, use the one expiring on December 31, 2018; otherwise use the one expiring during 2019.

Obviously for new units, you simply replace the words "at the end of the prior charter year" with "on the initial charter."

You therefore have:

Number of youth members on the most recent charter renewal (A) divided by the number of youth registered on the initial charter (B) minus any age-outs (C). Total = (A) / (B-C)...

Edited by Pale Horse
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, qwazse said:

If you're wrong, your UC can amend it.

Sounds good.

Common sense would say to compare the scouts on the end-of-2019 recharter with the scouts on the 1 February 2019 initial charter, and we can go with that, even though that is not how the Journey to Excellence scorecard actually says to calculate it.  (If I read it correctly, JTE wants a comparison of Dec 31, 2018 with Dec 31, 2017, which seems odd.)