Our troop is only two weeks old. We chartered as a citizens group and meeting in borrowed facilities. We are in search of a chartering organization. We've been turned down by a Southern Baptist Church, a Missionary Baptist Church and an Assembly of God Church. The Masonic Lodge was interested but could only provide space for us on Friday nights. We are currently talking to a Cumberland Presbyterian Church that has shown interest. All of the Methodist and Catholic churches in our District already have Scout Units.

If I was not a Christian, I would feel strange using the Church as a charter. Keeping it civil. I am curious to know the adult leaders' thoughts. If anyone is angry over my comment...please PM me in order to keep this post civil.

Respectfully,

Jason OK

Jason,

Some churches charter a troop and are very involved in it's operation. Many charter a troop, trust the leadership and are totally hands off other than rubber stamping the registration forms placed in front of them. They charter a troop because they know of BSA and what a positive force it is in the community and a boy's life. They are not necessarily concerned about the personal religious beliefs of each adult leader. Would you be uncomfortable being a leader of a troop chartered by a Masonic Lodge if you were not a Mason or a VFW if you were not a veteran?

http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=mc&c=fs'>http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=mc&c=fs

The above link is what sparked my curiosity.

SR540Beaver,

To answer your question...I talk better than I type so bare with me...LOL as you have been. Churches want organizations like Boy Scouts active in the community..as do the Masons.....but the Masons (although they have a strong religious background) "I believe" was not organized to show people how to live in Christ. This is why many churches pick and choose what ministries they will financially support. (Best represents their teachings & goals) I look at Scouting the same way. If I (Pretend Pastor)elect to charter a Troop (Let them use the church facilities)And the members of my church see something that they do not approve of...well that can kill the church....church members that get unhappy and can stop tithing. (for example) "Someone was teaching reverence and they said it doesn't matter what religion you were...you just must be reverent to God." I can guarantee (in todays atmosphere) that could cause an uproar in any religious organization. Be it Christian, Jewish or Muslim, ect ect.. (Church = Synagogue, Mosque, ect)

Thus, referring back to the BSA link.

http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=mc&c=fs

(This message has been edited by Jason OK)

Jason,

Some charters do not support their units financially other than providing meeting space. That was the case of the Methodist church that was the CO for our Cub Pack. Any funds we had came from monthly dues and fundraisers. Same for the Lutheran church that was the CO for our old Troop. I think you will find that to be the case for many units. My experience is that the Pastor is not the decision maker for chartering. He may want it and he may request it, but it usually goes to a vote of the church or before a governing board of some sort. I know people will do what people do, but nowhere in the Bible does it say that a Christian can withhold their tithe.

To answer both your questions, our units are chartered to a Presbyterian church. The pack is nearly 20 years old and the troop almost 40. Both ministers are Eagle Scouts. One is Wood Badge trained and a registered leader.

The church views Scouting as one of their outreach programs. They see it as an opportunity to serve the community and to reach potential new members. Of course they also serve their existing members who are involved in Scouting. At the same time I believe they have a broad understand of BSA's Statement on Religious Principles. They welcome Scouts of all faiths. As the minister has told me he would like to see everyone join the church. But even if a Scout and his family are of another faith or no faith, he is glad to see that boy and his family in Scouting.

Reciprocally, our pack does its best to support both the church as our chartered organization and the religious element of the Scout program. We always hold a Scout's Own devotion if we camp over a Sunday morning. Since becoming Cubmaster I've tried to have one den or one Scout open our pack meetings with a prayer or devotion (the Scouts and den leaders sometimes forget to prepare something since this is a new thing for us). And we encourage our Scouts to earn the religious emblem of their faith and keep Protestant, Catholic and Jewish workbooks in our pack library (we would certainly add others if there were a request.)

We are chartered by the VFW. They provide us with a place to meet and a shed which is currently full of junk.

Of course they provide us with more than just that, but that is what you see all the time, ya know?

Anyway, if we needed it, we could probably get just about anything as long as it was reasonable.

My computer teacher was saying how they are looking for a basic website and that she heard they had plenty of money so if our computer club ever needed anything in return for their site, that it probably wouldnt be a problem at all. This makes me think that we may be able to get a website and space, etc from them if we asked:)

My son's troop is chartered to a Protestant church, I prefer not to mention the denomination. To my knowledge, none of the current members or leaders of the troop are congregants of that particular church, though I believe one or two are probably members of the same denomination. (About 70 percent of the troop members and leaders live in towns other than the one where the troop is, for historical reasons not relevant to this thread.)