Camp Fire Girls

All this talk about rifts between BSA and Girl Scouts, and the uncertainty about girls joining Boy Scouts has me wondering...

What the HECK ever happened to Camp Fire Girls?  Are they still a thing?  Why didn't BSA simply nudge girls towards that organization if the girls thought Girl Scouts was too indoorsy?  

Just curious....

If you know any of the history, the wives of several of the BSA founders were the first supporters that turned the Camp Fire program into a national, then international, organization.  They went in a similar trajectory as GSUSA, removing principles of faith from the program, outdoor programming became optional. They eventually went coed to help their numbers, but they are only in a small number of areas now.  Up to a few years ago they had a presence here in Eastern MA, but no longer have an active council here.

49 minutes ago, HashTagScouts said:

If you know any of the history, the wives of several of the BSA founders were the first supporters that turned the Camp Fire program into a national, then international, organization.  They went in a similar trajectory as GSUSA, removing principles of faith from the program, outdoor programming became optional. They eventually went coed to help their numbers, but they are only in a small number of areas now.  Up to a few years ago they had a presence here in Eastern MA, but no longer have an active council here.

The wife of a friend was at the state level when the changes were made. She said removing the principles of faith did them in. Nothing they did after that stopped the bleeding. However, it was going coed that motivated the BSA to start the Tiger program. 

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

My mom was a Campfire Girl.  I have some neat old (old !) photos of those kids in long dresses and (?maybe, can't tell) bloomers...  They are camping, smoke, tents, out in the trees.... I especially like the big bow ribbons in the hair they wore.   And neckerchiefs.  

As a rep for my faith award committee, I went looking for local CF folks (the awards can be earned by CF too), but could not find any within 75 miles of home....  Online resources are rather slim, I thought.