JTE Commissioner Requirements

Anyone have this happen to them?

We bumped into a district commissioner, conversation started about having a unit commissioner come visit the troop (never seen one before in my life come to a pack or troop event, don't even know who they are).

"When he asked about our meeting information so he could get a Commissioner to us, I mentioned to him that they're of course welcome any time but with September being busy with back-to-Scouts stuff, PLC elections, etc, it may be better to wait until October if they want to see a normal meeting. And that's when he said "Well, that's not allowed, because you're supposed to have a commissioner visit every month for Journey to Excellence."

I've looked at the JTE stuff, doesn't mention Commissioner any place.

Bottom of JTE score card, Commissioner signs off or not.  

o We certify that these requirements have been completed:

Scoutmaster __________________________________________________ Date _____________________

Committee chair _______________________________________________ Date _____________________

Commissioner _________________________________________________ Date _____________________

12 minutes ago, SouthernTierScouter said:

"Well, that's not allowed, because you're supposed to have a commissioner visit every month for Journey to Excellence."

I've looked at the JTE stuff, doesn't mention Commissioner any place.

So - in 10 years with my current troop and and 375 plus meetings I have seem a commissioner twice.  Oddly both times they rolled in for a Court of Honor.  We are a good sized unit so maybe they ignore us.  Always felt the commissioners look really good in theory, not so much in practice.

I realize a commissioner signs the sheet off at some point, but like Jameson76 mentioned they have never contacted us, shown up before, or been around. I even asked one time who it was at council and they gave me the Deer in Headlights stare, no clue who our UC was.

I'll be sure to use that  "Show me where that's written, please." part.

Thanks all.

Edited by SouthernTierScouter
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Jameson76 said:

Always felt the commissioners look really good in theory, not so much in practice.

Very true.

I was a UC in four different states.  Wasn't my first preference for scouting duties, but it gave me the flexibility I needed when I was still on active duty.

Whenever I visited a unit for the first time (after calling ahead), I was always greeted like Bigfoot.  A blend of suspicion and amazement. 

"You're the first commissioner to visit us in X years."

or my favorite, after they got to know me:

"Our last commissioner was a real *&%@#$."

I don't mention this because I was a great commissioner.  No, far from it.  I tried to help as much as I could.  Particularly if they needed an extra adult for a campout or something.  Some units didn't need the help, others didn't want the help (the UC-as-spy, busybody, knowitall stereotype). 

Truthfully, if a troop was doing fine, I wasn't needed.  I was in the way.  It wasn't personal, that's reality.  The troops that really needed help, and were receptive, didn't need a UC--they needed a TC or another ASM.  Others made no bones about it, they didn't want me anywhere near the unit.  As a former ASM and SM, I understood their point of view.

Edited by desertrat77

I have been a UC for a while now.  I try to visit each of my units monthly.  Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.  I will at least email, or call someone from each unit.  

One of my units says.....Don't call us, we will call you.  Another will reach out to me, asking me to attend a specific event.  Each unit is different.  

Unfortunately, UCs are much like DEs in my 10+ years as a scouter...

Hardly ever hear from them.  When you do, you can bet its about one of two things: 1) recruitment and more likely 2) Can I do a FOS presentation?

They're also good for showing up at your Blue and Gold once a year (in cubbies) and bumming a free meal off the unit the one time a year you see them :)

On 09/01/2018 at 6:05 PM, DeanRx said:

Unfortunately, UCs are much like DEs in my 10+ years as a scouter...

Hardly ever hear from them.  When you do, you can bet its about one of two things: 1) recruitment and more likely 2) Can I do a FOS presentation?

They're also good for showing up at your Blue and Gold once a year (in cubbies) and bumming a free meal off the unit the one time a year you see them :)

Im not a UC, but I am a FOS presenter for my district, and I love the free meals!