xj-boonie

Summer camp - too many adults?

I find camp a great place to do some service, do some training, and generally take some time to work on my sitting skills or how to talk to other adults skills. 

As far as adult/youth ratio? Yah, it depends (I wonder who said that before? Oh, yah, everyone,) I think a 10 scouts to 1 adult being a good norm, with a minimum of 2 required. One of the things that it depends on is how much of a need there is to be with the scouts. Typically you don't need to do anything as the scouts will take care of themselves. Maybe the first day to show the new scouts where to go if an older scout isn't available. 

Not being the SM or CC, it is very difficult to do the other thing which it sounds you need done. Keeping the well meaning adults away from the scouts and letting them do their thing. But yes, try to engage the adults in activity away from the scouts. 

Luckily we have the opposite problem. Well, maybe TOO minimal adult coverage. Only 2 for 18. And I say possibly too minimal in case of an emergency where two-deep would be impossible. I guess if it comes down to it, our senior Scouts will get some OTJ training on how to handle the logistics of an emergency situation.

Actually, we are looking forward to it as somewhat of a vacation after the Monday rush to activities and figuring out the schedule and lay of the land. The acting SPL will get a good taste of the role as he's wanting to run for the position the next rotation and his experience and performance should prove his worth. We'll have a backup framework of course, but it's his show to run this year. I'm looking forward to seeing how ALL of them do!

2 minutes ago, numbersnerd said:

Actually, we are looking forward to it as somewhat of a vacation after the Monday rush to activities and figuring out the schedule and lay of the land. The acting SPL will get a good taste of the role as he's wanting to run for the position the next rotation and his experience and performance should prove his worth. We'll have a backup framework of course, but it's his show to run this year. I'm looking forward to seeing how ALL of them do!

The scouts are responsible for finding their activities in our troop. If the adults want to see the lay of the land, we do it without the scouts. Summer camp is really good place for scouts to learn  practice navigating strange camps to find their courses and activities. It's a very growing experience for new scouts. The SPL goes to most of the logistics meetings also. We may send an adult with him the camp requires it. Our SPLs work so hard at summer camp that we pay his camp fees. It's benefit, but they earn it. 

Barry

10 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

The scouts are responsible for finding their activities in our troop. If the adults want to see the lay of the land, we do it without the scouts. Summer camp is really good place for scouts to learn  practice navigating strange camps to find their courses and activities. It's a very growing experience for new scouts. The SPL goes to most of the logistics meetings also. We may send an adult with him the camp requires it. Our SPLs work so hard at summer camp that we pay his camp fees. It's benefit, but they earn it. 

Barry

I guess I should have clarified. I meant OUR (adult) schedule and where everything was located for our own reference. Something that I don't recall from my time as a Scout that we have to consider as adults is medications. Depending on the camp, either we can do it or it has to be administered by the camp staff. Another wrinkle to iron out.

Although I can foresee some first-year campers needing some guidance if they are having to go solo to their first activity site. They will be coached on asking who's going to the ABC Area next and partnering up with others for those walks. You never know who you're going to meet at camp!

• Upvote 1

We have 1 adult each day getting the first year scouts to the Brownsea Island program.  This is a great program, but the counselors can use the extra help herding cats with that many 11/12 year olds.  I did that my first year and wasn't too happy with the troops that dumped their hyperactive scouts off without providing help.

The rest of the troop is mostly on their own getting to their merit badges. Of course we do meals together and evening programs, but it's a controlled environment where the boys can have independence.

I'd have no idea what that many adults would even do unless you have a lot of special needs scouts.