Eagle1993

Adding Girls to Pack

So i am still confused on how this is going to and is working. I keep getting different information. Do girls join the existing pack and work side by side with the boys? Or do Girls join the pack and still have to work separately from the boys? Or do girls form their own packs?

Will the same be for Troops? 

How are overnight campouts to be run?

Sorry for all the questions, but I still cant find 1 definite answer.

10 minutes ago, EagleonFire said:

So i am still confused on how this is going to and is working. I keep getting different information. Do girls join the existing pack and work side by side with the boys? Or do Girls join the pack and still have to work separately from the boys? Or do girls form their own packs?

Will the same be for Troops? 

How are overnight campouts to be run?

Sorry for all the questions, but I still cant find 1 definite answer.

IF everything holds true, this is how things should work.

A CO may choose to remain a boy only pack, with no changes.  They may choose to sponsor both an all boys pack and an all girls pack, who operate independently of each other.  They may choose to make the existing pack co-ed, with dens that are gender separate; girls in one den, boys in another.  At this point there should not be any co-ed dens.  If a pack chooses the co-ed model and does not have enough girls for separate age appropriate dens, they may have a mixed age den of girls.  (kind of like back in the dim past, when dens were made up of boys from the same neighborhood, regardless of age)

The current plan for troops is that if a CO chooses they may remain boy only.  If the CO wants to bring in girls, it will be in a girl only troop.  That troop can share a COR, committee, and ASM's, but must have a different SM.  At this time there should not be any girl patrols in a boy troop.

I do not know if this will hold true a few years from now, but as of now it is the way things are supposed to work.  There are numerous published records and charts detailing these options, they just do not get reported accurately.  I am sure that most of the news coverage has been done by people who do not take the time to actually research the facts before writing or going on air with an inaccurate report.

Time will tell.  Regardless of how things play out, I intend to do whatever I can to see that the pack and troop that I serve in, and the units I serve as a commissioner succeed.

• Upvote 1

I have 1 mother pushing really hard for us to drop the Camp Fire Club we started 3 years ago and transition to Cub Scouts.  It really sounds like 1. We wouldn't have the manpower to do so. 2.even though it is allowing girls in it really inst set up to be an inclusive environment.  

• Upvote 1

Cub Scout camps... several of our scouts have started attending various council camps over the last several weeks.  None of the camps have all girl dens.  If girls are present they are simply integrated into the Boy dens.  This is probably due to the limited number of girls (1-2 per Den) and lack of volunteers.  I would have made the same call, but it does put the whole notion that this will not be coed into question as Packs will see similar numbers for the first year or two. 

It will be interesting to see how they run them next year when more girls are present.

16 hours ago, Eagle1993 said:

Cub Scout camps... several of our scouts have started attending various council camps over the last several weeks.  None of the camps have all girl dens.  If girls are present they are simply integrated into the Boy dens.  This is probably due to the limited number of girls (1-2 per Den) and lack of volunteers.  I would have made the same call, but it does put the whole notion that this will not be coed into question as Packs will see similar numbers for the first year or two. 

It will be interesting to see how they run them next year when more girls are present.

My council camp allows for tagalongs and community day camp so we have a few girls at camp but my daughter is the ONLY Webelos 2 at camp this week (1 out of 25 with one of the other 25 being a female tagalong) so she of course is in a patrol with seven other boys.