Harvey impacted scouts & scouters

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't know if you can have a good day among so much destruction, but I had a personal bright spot. Helped a family today. Young boy was eyeing my Philmont hat. Couldn't help it. Just took it off and g

I'm not an expert on aid distribution to be honest. My schtick is S&R. They point me in the area they need help and I go in. The aid coordinators are like Philmont logistics types on MASSIVE stero

Thank you for being "boots on the ground" @@Col. Flagg .  God Bless Texas!

I am at ground zero for the Harvey Relief effort for the Red Cross Houston headquarters. Been here all week. Most organizations have a lot of the major issues covered for the moment. People have been rescued and taken to safe shelters. Food is being served.

With that being said when the flood waters recede the biggest job is going to be cleaning up the mess. This is where the boys have an opportunity to do something really worthwhile. It isn't going to be fun but it will really going to help. Mucking out houses isn't fun, but furniture needs to be hauled out, carpets and flooring needs to be tore out and hauled to the curb. You can start in any neighborhood at dawn and work to sundown. Churches can house the boys and provide food. Red Cross has cleaning supplies. Help other people at all times. This kind of stuff needs real scouts. If you have boys that want to really help let me know. PM me. Don't waste my time uless tbis is going to be for real. I am ready working from 7:00 am until midnight. I don't have time for fun and games right now.

Don't know if you can have a good day among so much destruction, but I had a personal bright spot. Helped a family today. Young boy was eyeing my Philmont hat. Couldn't help it. Just took it off and gave it to him. He smiled the whole way back to the shelter. His mom said it was the first he's smiled in a week.

Makes me wish I could do more.

Again I'll say the people are amazing. Sure you see some national guard, some FEMA and Coast Guard and Army choppers, but what you see misty are just every day people, from all walks of life, working together to help. They should round up all Antifa and Alt-right fungi and force them to witness all this. They'd see that when people are out of hope that a hand, ANY hand, is welcome.

Stay thirsty my friends. Night patrol again tonight, then a day off tomorrow.

Day off? What's with that? I haven't had time for myself since last Thursday. This is the first time in over a week I have been on the forum since I left. It's midnight, my Red Cross Emergency Relief Vehicle is loaded with food and water and I will be in the driver's seat at 7:00 tomorrow morning. It's a 150 mile round trip to deliver and back to headquarters for 3 more trips. No time for a day off. Thanks for being here. I always suspected you for a real scout. Now I know. Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

Lol yeah they have to two recovery teams here the day off after four days of 14-18 hours. The worst thing now is the mosquitoes!! They are thicker than I've ever seen them...and that includes Northern Tier. Needed netting on the boats to even make moving folks possible. They spraying Monday to suppress any potential for West Nile.

Good luck with your work @@Stosh.

Circle 10 has a bus of Scouts headed down there on Saturday to start mucking.

If you're local to DFW & want to help out, here's the sign up link with more info.

If anyone goes wear long pants, long sleeve shirts, duct tape any gathers, get netting for your head. The mosquitoes are HORRENDOUS!!!

• Upvote 1

@Col Flag ... hope the locals are aggressive on those mosquitoes. I have family in Slidel LA and it took a long time for the Katrina inspired mosquitoes to subside. I'm not sure how aggressive they were with spraying after the hurricane (clearly other issues took priority). Great to hear your and other scouts good work. Stay safe!

@Col Flag ... hope the locals are aggressive on those mosquitoes. I have family in Slidel LA and it took a long time for the Katrina inspired mosquitoes to subside. I'm not sure how aggressive they were with spraying after the hurricane (clearly other issues took priority). Great to hear your and other scouts good work. Stay safe!

They are spraying for West Nile. It's a large are to cover.

Thanks for coming, any help is urgently needed. I am doing hot-shot runs out of the Red Cross headquarters and there is help needed in every direction. If your mucking area is big, contact Red Cross for cleaning supplies. Ask for the bulk distribution lead in the district you are in. Houston HQ will know the district you are in by your location. If scouts want to organize and come help, I will try to get on the forum more often and do what I can do to help from this end.

Circle Ten Council (Dallas area) is putting together another clean up trip to Houston for Scouts/Scouters.  Here's the link if interested.

Last Saturday, the group worked moving debris closer to the streets so the claw trucks could reach the piles.

• Upvote 1

Circle Ten Council (Dallas area) is putting together another clean up trip to Houston for Scouts/Scouters.  Here's the link if interested.

Last Saturday, the group worked moving debris closer to the streets so the claw trucks could reach the piles.

From that link: What to bring:

Medical parts A &B, gloves, bug spray, water bottle, boots, long sleeve shirt

We will be mucking houses that were flooded so they can begin the rebuilding process.

Is Council providing respirator masks?

From that link: What to bring:

Medical parts A &B, gloves, bug spray, water bottle, boots, long sleeve shirt

We will be mucking houses that were flooded so they can begin the rebuilding process.

Is Council providing respirator masks?

Doubt it. Our unit added those to the list to any Scout who was headed down. It's a must have.