Survey - Scouting accessible

I recently watched this video.  I was extremely impressed with the quality of the analysis and the presentation.  

https://www.glaacbsa.org/Scouting_Accessible

I was impressed, but disappointed in a few ways.

• Impressed
    • Proposed cub scout choice of boy only pack, girl only pack and family pack with gender based dens.
    • Taking on a hard topic that made BSA an anachronism.
  • Concerned (aka disappointed)
    • "Family" is really being used to obscure "co-ed".  It's a stepping stone term.
    • I'd like to see the proposed Troop structure parallel to the proposed pack structure.  I could see groups wanting purely single gender troops.  But I could also see units wanting to create a "family" troop (aka co-ed) troop because numbers are low.  It will happen.  If we don't allow this, then groups will create work arounds that will be a big headache.  Troop 123B for boys and Troop 123G for girls.  Same leader.  Same committee. Same schedule.  Same camps.  Two checking accounts.  Two sets of re-charter paperwork.  ...
      • The solution is to keep it parallel to packs.  Single gender patrols as the proposed pack structure is single gender dens.  
      • Double down on the "patrol" is the fundamental unit of scouting.  
    • I'd hate to see a new set of requirements or a new program created.  Adult leaders have enough trouble managing all the existing requirements and structure and rules. ... What ever happens, keep it simple.  ...
    • We won't be moving out of an anachronism unless it's the same program (requirements, structure, rules, etc) for both genders.  

Even these comments, I am extremely impressed with the proposed ideas.  

I hope these changes don't take years.  I know several 15 year old young ladies that would jump at the chance to be in Boy Scouts and to earn Eagle. 

Edited by fred johnson
  • Upvote 2
..."Family" is really being used to obscure "co-ed".  It's a stepping stone term...

It's doublespeak. I'm rankled by it. I can't imagine it sitting well in the heartland.

As for the survey available at that site, I notice it is not an anonymous survey. Hmm.

That's so Greater LA can filter out us ne're-do-wells from parts east. :ph34r:

Actually, it may indeed be a national survey. But I can understand the interest in knowing which opinions are from which stakeholders and special interests.