Transgender policy change

I am still dreading the day I have to figure out tenting arrangements for an openly gay or "transgendered" boy.

The BSA seems to have confidence in us unit Scouters to handle the situation, should it ever arise, in a common-sense manner.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've read through the various posts and thought that it would be helpful to share my perspective as a Venturing Crew advisor for a Crew with two trangender youths.  I haven't seen anyone else post tha

I disagree.  I don't think this change in registration policy will be limited to the transgender issue.  There will be girls who will register as boys simply because they disagree with BSA's boys-only

Get real! When I was a scout and a Scoutmaster, patrols could camp without adults. They can't anymore. That is huge!   Watching the Canadian Scouts go through their changes and listening and partici

Situational ethics. 

If you are okay with marginalizing 1% -- whoever they are -- but not okay with marginalizing 4%, you are using your own beliefs to justify your actions. If you truly believe marginalizing ANYONE is wrong, then you would fight it -- no matter who it affects.

What I meant was that the "1%" are NOT being marginalized.  That's why you don't have to worry about it.  

What I meant was that the "1%" are NOT being marginalized.  That's why you don't have to worry about it.  

Really? Have you visited a college campus?

Anytime a group seeks to exclude another, they are being marginalized.

As a minister I spent a lot of time visiting in nursing homes and I felt it horrible that they drugged some of these people into a stupor "so they wouldn't have to deal with them."    Well, when I became guardian for my father before his death, it became quickly apparent that for his safety and the safety of everyone around, he was either going to be drugged into a stupor or confined to isolation.  I chose the drugs. 

According to the World Health Organization, 25% of Americans suffer due to mental illness, be it depression, suicide, addiction, or whatever.  Only about 20% of them receive treatment due to social stigmatic attitudes.  The trendy issue of transgenderism has made the once defined disorder as the new norm and everything is a brave new world.  

Not everyone agrees. 

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/michael-w-chapman/johns-hopkins-psychiatrist-transgender-mental-disorder-sex-change 

As with any asylum, it's often difficult to tell the patients from the staff.  But like any other medical issue, without appropriate treatment it may go away or it may not.  Are we just supposed to wait it out or encourage it?  Kinda hard to tell at times.