Science doesn't happen outside?  That's news to me.

Why don't you explain to how the NOVA award can be earned while outside at Philmont enjoying the outdoors. See the links I posted for your clue.

Clearly *some* of NOVA can be done outside, but you'd need to spend about 80% of your time inside or tethered to a work area to get the award done.

The point, since you missed how obvious it was, is that Philmont is meant to be an outdoor experience. Why waste the time and money to get there if you are going to stay in the PTC and earn an award you could do at the Kearney Holiday Inn's Grand Ballroom?

I go out in nature to enjoy it.  I don't need to know how it works.  Hot feet cooling off in a flowing stream, propped up against my pack, watching whatever the science name they're called clouds floating by on a sunny afternoon of hiking?  A bird is soaring over looking for something, a meal maybe, I don't know and I don't care.  It might be an eagle, or a turkey vulture, or a hawk, well, it's a bird anyway.  Looks pretty.  The mountains over there are made of .... well.... looks like rocks and dirt..... yep, rocks and dirt.  There's a LBF growing out of a crack in the rock next to me.  Some kind of bug is flying around it deciding whether or not it's gonna land.  LBF = little blue flower.  The bug?  It doesn't look like a bee so I should be okay.  The wind is picking up from the north, or is it more the west?  Can't tell.  Wet finger doesn't help.  This NOVA "stuff" is great. 

Why don't you explain to how the NOVA award can be earned while outside at Philmont enjoying the outdoors. See the links I posted for your clue.

Which is why, I'm guessing, that they are creating a new NOVA award option specific to Philmont.  Like the Road Biking/Mountain Biking options for Cycling.  But please, belittle me. 

Which is why, I'm guessing, that they are creating a new NOVA award option specific to Philmont.  Like the Road Biking/Mountain Biking options for Cycling.  But please, belittle me. 

Look, you snarked in with the "gee, I didn't know science doesn't happen outside" retort to a clearly written post about the obvious incongruence  between the actual NOVA requirements and being at Philmont. That is why I put the link to the requirements in there and drew your attention to them. It makes no sense to have a NOVA course at Philmont when 90% of the requirements have little to do with being outdoors.

Now, if the NOVA award was more focused on nature, weather, forestry, wildlife mgmt, etc., (all outdoor badges for the most part), then I could see the reason to be at Philmont.

Ah, good.  And the original question was about rumored new awards, Nova Boy Scouts: Jamboree, etc, looking for information.  At which point you posted an unhelpful link to the requirements of the existing award.

As to the original question, no, I haven't heard anything about these three awards.  But the BSA National Meeting is happening/about to happen, so I'd expect any roll-out to happen there.

Ah, good.  And the original question was about rumored new awards, Nova Boy Scouts: Jamboree, etc, looking for information.  At which point you posted an unhelpful link to the requirements of the existing award.

If you read I wrote "maybe it was about...", that's offering an opinion. Adding in the links to the requirements was to note for those who may not be familiar with them exactly what NOVA, STEM and Philmont had to do with one another.

I am sorry if you find offering information helpful.

The question was about possible new NOVA awards. Posting information about the existing awards is not helpful. As is offering opinions about the suitability of such awards. It's like I asked for directions to the gas station, and you gave me a road map of Michigan and told me Detroit sucks.

The question was about possible new NOVA awards. Posting information about the existing awards is not helpful. As is offering opinions about the suitability of such awards. It's like I asked for directions to the gas station, and you gave me a road map of Michigan and told me Detroit sucks.

The word "maybe" conveys a possible explanation for the "new" award. Since you don't have the answer, any one who posts their opinion and fancies a guess is just as correct until the answer is available from BSA.

Lighten up, Francis.

Yeah the requirements...aside from the already existing Merit Badges...seem like a lot of class and museum work. I just had a heart to heart with a graduating Life Scout on how hard he is finding information on careers working with his hands and staying out of a classroom. Very bright just not a good student. Wants to be more of a mechanic and every one wants him to get a Masters in Engineering. The world needs both.

• Upvote 1

I am the STEM/Nova chair for my Council.  My original question has to do with online advancement.  Where you enter the dates to indicate an award is earned, there are 3 new entries - Jamboree, Summit, and Philmont.   I have seen and heard nothing about this as being added to the Nova awards.  I was just wondering if anyone else had.  I did not want to start a debate about these awards.