Hello. I'm just a boy scout who likes to use technology to further his means.

I like learning what others are thinking. It can be neat seeing what the adult's side of the coin can be like. I figured I'd make an account proper to share insight and opinions that may be rare here.

Feel free to consult me on tech, or how I see things from a scout's perspective.

Welcome to the forum, we were just discussing how important it is to have a Scout's perspective on many of the issues we discuss.  Wade in on anything that interests you.

1. Which is the better processor to buy right now. The 5820k or 6700K? Assuming you can get Microcenter pricing, and 50% usage for gaming.

2. Buy 980ti now or wait for the 1080?

3. 144Hz or 1440 assuming you can't afford both.

4. Gsync or Freesync?

5. Water cooling or Big Air?

• Upvote 2

Hi Papyaman1000

Welcome!

First of all.... you are not "just" as scout.  You ARE a SCOUT!  YOU are what this is all about, and are the playing the MOST IMPORTANT role!

yeah, i was just posting the question yesterday, wondering if SCOUTS had a place or resource where scouting topics might get batted around.....

I have been participating on discussion forums for several years now... Started out in other interest areas, and then when i got into working with Scouts, I searched and found this one.  I find it a great resource.  I imagine its the same in most units, from a scout perspective, as well as an adult one..... The folks in the unit really only know what they do, or what has been done..... they might occasionally pick-up a tidbit here and there at round tables, camporees, and so on..... but only so much

and on top of that I find that other adult scouters in my unit have various interest levels... Some give scouting a lot of thought, and others not so much.  Mostly they just troll along through it doing what they do and not really trying to think outside the box all that much (it's just natural, I don't mean that as a dig...)

This came to mind, starting with a thought I had that I would like to plant a seed in the minds of the SPL and other scouts.... that it might be ok to politely and respectfully tell a SM or other adult.... when they might be butting into something you are doing, or otherwise talking & rambling on about something that a scout should be doing or wants to be doing for themselves.... or really doesn't even care about at all....

that it might be ok for them to say something like

"it's ok Mr. X, I've got this.  I think Mr. Y might need help with his cup of coffee over THERE..."

But really, that message would be oh so much more meaningful, perhaps, if it were planted in the heads of scouts by other scouts.... in your words.... not in adult "language"

Of course politely, respectfully, and not blowing off something that an adult wants or needs..... but just letting the adult know that you CAN do it, and that you WANT to do it, BUT that you would LIKE to do it in your own way if that is ok....  

because really I think that is how a scout is going to best use the patrol method to learn, but more importantly have FUN

SO, is there a place where I might let my scout son and other scouts know about, where they might go to discuss or learn about the fun side of scouting, get ideas of better ways of doing things, other things to do, and so on?

maybe youtube or some blog or forum?

1. Which is the better processor to buy right now. The 5820k or 6700K? Assuming you can get Microcenter pricing, and 50% usage for gaming.

2. Buy 980ti now or wait for the 1080?

3. 144Hz or 1440 assuming you can't afford both.

4. Gsync or Freesync?

5. Water cooling or Big Air?

You kill me KDD.

Papayaman, welcome. Feel free to chime in on topics that interest you.

You kill me KDD.

Papayaman, welcome. Feel free to chime in on topics that interest you.

Sorry, how rude of me.

Welcome Papayaman!

6. Is the Vive worth the extra cost over the Rift or do you think it is better to wait for the 2nd Gen?

I could not work my keyboard, mouse, tablet, Dragon or Siri, so I had to wait until my teenager got home to respond.

Welcome. Smiley Face

[Dad, you don't write "smiley face" you use a ":" and ")" to denote a smiley face]