Good evening, everyone!

I started as a professional recently (*ducks tomatoes*), although not on the traditional side. (Sorry for being a bit cagey on the details; you never know who might run across this!)

Anyway, I earned my Eagle a decade ago in a troop that has been around for ages. Fortunately, our SM was old school: red jacket, Smokey-the-Bear hat, smoking a pipe around the campfire. In short, we had a program that, to my understanding, resembled what Scouting was back in the Green Bar Bill days. In any case, we were outdoors, taking charge, getting lost, getting scraped up, and learning and practicing Scoutcraft. It was actually fun to be a Scout, even despite the bureaucratic tediousness of some of the advancement requirements.

When I got to college, I stayed outdoors, but I fell away from Scouting. Now that I'm in a more settled position in my life, and with my newfound involvement with the movement, I'm looking to rejoin Scouting as a volunteer in addition to my professional life. I tend to think that, even if Scouting is far from perfect these days, there's still the opportunity for the movement to form young men into self-sufficient leaders. I taught college for awhile, and I can tell you that "kids these days" could use a little (no, a lot!) more of that.

When I was a Scout, I was a total Scouting lore/history junkie. I would pore over the old handbooks I'd acquired and marvel at how cool the uniforms were, how many more skills used to be taught, how robust the program used to seem. Anyway, I was googling around this evening and ran across this forum and realized that y'all share the same interests, so I hope to hang around and soak up some of your wisdom and knowledge. Thank you for the opportunity!

• Upvote 2