Rodents, Lagomorphs, and Taste

Is "northern" i.e. anything above TN, the politically correct definition of dam'yankee?  :)

I have friends in New Orleans that thinks Shreveport is a "damn Yankee town", Texas is "the west" and anything east of Biloxi is "back East". I guess it is perspective.

Edited by Krampus
  • Upvote 1

It reminds me of my year of internship in San Diego.  I had a difficult time thinking that Arizona, New Mexico and everything else were back east and Oregon and Washington were the only places that were up North.  :)

• Upvote 1

OUTSTANDING! I left New Orleans in 1997 before the program came about.

I think you might be talking about the controversy when the sheriff or Police Chief in the NO area authorized his officers to shoot nutria on the levees on their offtime--the department provided the ammo. 

We'd sooner eat bad (northern) BBQ than eat rodent. Just sayin'. ;)

Krampus, here's a true story:  (!)

Several years ago, I was stationed in rural MS.   Then I got orders to NJ.   One evening, there was a military/civic leader BBQ, mandatory attendance.  I thought oh boy, here we go.   After 2 years of living in a place that had BBQ places everywhere, except for maybe the dry cleaners, this ought to be interesting.

I was amazed.   The BBQ was superb.  A team of local businessmen had a sort of a BBQ club, and they cooked for special events.   It would have given southern fare a run for its money.   I talked one of the cooks afterward.   He smiled, nodded, and started talking serious "BBQ" that only a seasoned practitioner could understand (it was a bit over my head).   Except for the names of the various woods they used, and his accent, it was as if I was talking to one of the old boys in MS.  

That said, I never ate BBQ thereafter in NJ.   If there was a BBQ joint, I never found one.  

Now Mexican food is another story.   Never found a single Mexican restaurant in the state of NJ that was worthy of the title.   Just horrible.

Krampus, here's a true story:  (!)

Several years ago, I was stationed in rural MS.   Then I got orders to NJ.   One evening, there was a military/civic leader BBQ, mandatory attendance.  I thought oh boy, here we go.   After 2 years of living in a place that had BBQ places everywhere, except for maybe the dry cleaners, this ought to be interesting.

I was amazed.   The BBQ was superb.  A team of local businessmen had a sort of a BBQ club, and they cooked for special events.   It would have given southern fare a run for its money.   I talked one of the cooks afterward.   He smiled, nodded, and started talking serious "BBQ" that only a seasoned practitioner could understand (it was a bit over my head).   Except for the names of the various woods they used, and his accent, it was as if I was talking to one of the old boys in MS.  

That said, I never ate BBQ thereafter in NJ.   If there was a BBQ joint, I never found one.  

Now Mexican food is another story.   Never found a single Mexican restaurant in the state of NJ that was worthy of the title.   Just horrible.

Good old boys know BBQ. Chances are the more run down a place looks, the better the BBQ.

As far as Mexican food goes, if it is a chain, forget it. That's not Mex food. That's like saying Speedy Gonzales is indicative of Mexicans and their culture.

In Texas we go to the little haciendas. Those mom and pop places are pretty good. You get the real peasant food that is the basis for much of Mexican cuisine. I don't eat Mexican north of the Red River, east of Texarkana and west of Phoenix. ;)

Good old boys know BBQ. Chances are the more run down a place looks, the better the BBQ.

As far as Mexican food goes, if it is a chain, forget it. That's not Mex food. That's like saying Speedy Gonzales is indicative of Mexicans and their culture.

In Texas we go to the little haciendas. Those mom and pop places are pretty good. You get the real peasant food that is the basis for much of Mexican cuisine. I don't eat Mexican north of the Red River, east of Texarkana and west of Phoenix. ;)

Krampus, that is an excellent summation.

I was also stationed for several years in SW Arizona.   No shortage of great, authentic Mexican places.   Good food, good service, reasonable prices. I too avoided the chains like the plague. 

• Upvote 1

I think you might be talking about the controversy when the sheriff or Police Chief in the NO area authorized his officers to shoot nutria on the levees on their offtime--the department provided the ammo. 

That's a new one for me, but I can believe Sheriff Harry Lee of Jefferson Parish would do that, and I can see where some would complain. He was the one pushing for unlimited hunting of them on the banks of the various canals for a small yearly fee, I think it was $5 to cover the license.  PETA went ape over the matter when I lived there.  Trust me the nutria were a major problem.  You could see large groups of them  in the canals about 1/4 of a mile from my house. And I lived in a well developed suburb of New Orleans.

That's a new one for me, but I can believe Sheriff Harry Lee of Jefferson Parish would do that, and I can see where some would complain. He was the one pushing for unlimited hunting of them on the banks of the various canals for a small yearly fee, I think it was $5 to cover the license.  PETA went ape over the matter when I lived there.  Trust me the nutria were a major problem.  You could see large groups of them  in the canals about 1/4 of a mile from my house. And I lived in a well developed suburb of New Orleans.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2008/07/gunning_for_nutria_at_the_17th.html

The Jefferson County SWAT team is still executing the nutria.

I don't eat Mexican north of the Red River, east of Texarkana and west of Phoenix. ;)

As a good friend in Houston reminds me often in the same sentence with the above,

"And there is no such thing as Cajun food west of the Sabine and North of the Arkansas/Louisiana line."

Edited by John-in-KC
  • Upvote 1

As a good friend in Houston reminds me often in the same sentence with the above,

"And there is no such thing as Cajun food west of the Sabine and North of the Arkansas/Louisiana line."

Heck, I'd have draw the line south of Shreveport. ;)

WWWWEEEEELLLLL, there was a place in Los Angeles that had authentic Cajun food. Then again they did have my brother as the chef. ;)