Pins on Adult Uniform

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Matt, I think the key thought here is that you were in training.  It's an artificial environment, heavy on procedure, protocol, instilling the right principles, etc.   Which is alright, it's by design

First of all, Welcome to the forum.   I get these "non-authorized" tokens over the years and have just adopted the policy of putting them on my red jack-shirt.  Then no one can complain.  A few of t

As I understand it they go above the left pocket, not on the flap. If someone corrects me about this, read on...... The larger question is one you intimated in a couple of statements like this one, "

Posted Images

FYI these are the types of uniforms in national BSA literature I've read about.

Professional Uniform, and yes I wore my Eagle tie tac and some type of BSA lapel pin with it.

Field Uniform depending upon program it can be Boy Scout, one of the 3 Sea Scout or 4 Sea Scout leader uniforms, Cub Scout, or Venturing uniform.  Some people call the Class A

Activity uniform. Currently the field uniform with a Scouting T-shirt or polo.  From 1989- approx 1999, was khaki shorts with either a tan, red or maroon polo shirt. Sometimes called a Class B.

Camp Uniform, This is in CS Day Camp NCS literature. Basically it's a CSDC shirt.

Local Uniforms i've seen  include Aquatics Staff, T-shirt and swim trunks.  BSA did come out wiht official swim trunks at one time, and that camp used those once they came out. Other uniform was the COPE uniform. That one consisted of BDU trousers, and initially camp staff t-shirt, but when we got them, the COPE course t-shirt instead. Also included harness and brain bucket. ;)

Which is what you did in that old post. No, there is no such thing in official literature and since you seem to be of the same uniform stickler cloth as the others, and since there was no response to my question, in the face of that 'cosmic' uncertainty I will borrow from ya lazima vumbi (or whatever his name is with my thanks) and end with my admonition to all of you who never ever break or bend any BSA rules, policies, or guidelines:

"Ask not for whom the doughnut rolls, it rolls for thee"

And when your boys stand there and salute during flag ceremonies, in slipshod partial uniforms and "class-B" t-shirts not officially recognized by BSA, that salute they give is reserved only for veterans who have faithfully served in the armed forces of our country.  Sorry, but my boys are taught that it's okay to show up in civilian clothing including field uniform shirt and blue jeans, but when not in uniform, one salutes with their hand over their heart out of respect and honor due our veterans.  I may break and bend BSA rules along the way, but The basis for this discussion is not just a BSA policy.

I personally find the use of hand salutes by non-veterans basically disgusting.... yeah, that's an appropriate word for it... as do my boys.  Yes, my boys use the civilian salute (hand over heart) if not in FULL uniform. 

• Downvote 1

slipshod partial uniforms and "class-B" t-shirts

Getting back to topic, this one was a hoot.

Yes, yes, this is definitely the slippery slope for sure. Let one pin on a collar pass and next thing you know we have hordes of hooligans dressed in who-knows-what baggy gansta shorts giving the finger to the flag. Yep, we need to clamp down HARD on that pin, less than that will be the end of scouting, possibly the beginning of the end of society as we know it. :eek:

Edited by ya lazima vumbi
  • Upvote 1

Nope, it's more like ridicule of your ridiculous extension of the topic.

I take it not everyone is familiar with the definition of Fuzzy Logic.  A quick Google search will get everyone up to speed.

Here's how it works.

Go out on the beach, sit down and scoop up a handful of sand.

What do you have? Yep, a handful of sand.

Take the tweezers out of your first aid kit and carefully pick one grain of sand off that handful and drop back on the beach.

Now what do you have?  Still looks like a handful of sand, but logically is it or isn't it a handful of sand?

At this point the SM has one mentor pin on his uniform collar.  Is he still in full uniform?

Okay, with the tweezers take another grain of sand off the handful and drop it back on the beach.

Now what do you have?  still looks like a handful of sand, but now it has twice as much removed than before.

At this point the SM has two mentor pins on his uniform collar.  Is he still in full uniform?

So the logic demands, at what point of removing grains of sand does one finally conclude that they no longer have a handful of sand?  How many grains did they remove?  Once you get to that point, you'll have your answer.

I am standing there with scout socks, pants with belt, shirt tucked in with all patches in the right place, necker, and hat.  Am I in full uniform?  Yep according to BSA inspection sheet.  So I get WB and now wear a different necker than everyone else.  Am I uniform with everyone else?  I have a hat but don't wear it, am I in full uniform?   I have olive drab socks, but they weren't provided by BSA supply, am I in full uniform?

What one ends up with is Fuzzy Logic.  Everyone sitting around arguing points that either don't make a bit of difference, most people don't know or even care and for the most part aren't uniform to begin with so the whole idea of uniforming in the BSA is a total waste of time and money.  BSA doesn't require a uniform of anyone anyway.  

So I'll answer my own question, "What's a 'class-B'?"  Anything anyone wants it to be because you might be the only one that thinks it matters.  Of course that equally applies to the "class-A" uniform as well, so it would seem.

Edited by Stosh

At one point the intent of the parent pin was a non-uniform memento because parents didn't wear uniforms.  They wore sport coats and nice dresses.  The pin was in recognition of what their child had done.  Tie tac?  How many people wear sport coats, let a lone ties?  Where's mom going to pin her pin?  Tank top? Sweatshirt? T-shirt?  Up until I recently retired I wore a sport coat every day to work and church, yet none of them had lapel pins and when I did wear a tie, I did not use a tie-tac.  Customs change with time.  

This is nothing more than a historic tradition that has come and gone.  If it is however, still relevant to scouters maybe a new tradition should be started about wearing them on the scouter's uniform.

I have joined an actual Boy Scout troop, and what they do is present each parent with a ribbon that attaches to Mom or Dad's clothing and holds the various pins that come thier way during thier son's Scouting career.

Here is the attachment:  http://www.scoutstuff.org/bsa/uniforms-insignia/insignia-metal/pins/ribbon-bar-award-holder.html#.VghXhctVhBc

Rules aside, no reason it could not go on a pocket flap or above it.   I suppose such a ribbon could dangle from a pocket button.

Here is another idea - a loop of ribbon that goes around the neck:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/rib-neck-proud-parent-multi.html#.VghYl8tVhBc

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/262475484508321709/

http://www.mothers-pride.com/

Edited by TAHAWK

:)

@@TAHAWK

I like that ribbon idea for the scouters with scouts.  That way they can hang it on the temp pocket for special occasions and be perfectly in sync with the uniform process.  They could also take it off when one goes on outings so as to no lose them as well.  I'm thinking the ribbon is less expensive than the jac-shirt which is also a good alternative for the pins/patches, etc., too.  However, it can get a tad rank in July summer camp wearing a red wool coat.   :)

I think the neckband idea is probably the best idea.  It can be made from ribbon at a cost far less than those that are manufactured.  It also simplifies the awkward moment when the scout realizes in front of a crowd of people mom is wearing clothing that is going to make pinning it on her a tad bit embarrassing.

Edited by Stosh