Gates Quote From The 2014 National Annual Meeting

I've read recent statements by two bishops. Perhaps ironically, their respective dioceses are right next door to one another. Bishop Folda of Fargo, ND thanked the BSA and stated that Catholic-chartered troops would "continue to act in accordance with the Church's teaching and select volunteers based on character and conduct consistent with those teachings."

http://www.inforum.com/news/3809853-fargo-diocese-thanks-boy-scouts-stating-faith-based-organizations-can-pick-leaders

Bishop Kagan of Bismarck, ND, broke all ties, effective immediately:

http://bismarckdiocese.com/news/letter-from-bishop-decision-on-boy-scouts-of-america

These two dioceses together cover the entire State of North Dakota.

It isn't completely clear, but reading Bishop Kagan's letter, it looks like he doesn't know that the GSUSA is a different organization than the BSA?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Mr. Gates addressed that in his speech in May 2015. He mentioned what he had said a year earlier but said the situation had changed. Of course, it would have been better if he had not made a d

Gates' words then, like his more recent claim that BSA will solidly defend the rights of religious COs, are full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. He was elected (or perhaps, it was more like sel

It isn't completely clear, but reading Bishop Kagan's letter, it looks like he doesn't know that the GSUSA is a different organization than the BSA?

" There are two very good alternatives to the Girl Scouts of America. They are:  American Heritage Girls (americanheritagegirls.org),which has a National Catholic Committee;  Little Flowers’ Girls Clubs (eccehomopress.com); and Federation of North American Explorers (fneexplorers.com). There are three alternatives to the Boy Scouts of America, which are acceptable. They are:  Federation of North American Explorers (fneexplorers.com); Columbian Squires (kofc.org/un/en/squires); and Trail Life USA (traillifeusa.com), which has a National Catholic Committee in Front Royal, VA. "

Since he offers options for Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, it seems that he is aware.  And reads more carefully.

(Formatting weirdness un-intended)

Edited by JoeBob

" There are two very good alternatives to the Girl Scouts of America. They are:  American Heritage Girls (americanheritagegirls.org),which has a National Catholic Committee;  Little Flowers’ Girls Clubs (eccehomopress.com); and Federation of North American Explorers (fneexplorers.com). There are three alternatives to the Boy Scouts of America, which are acceptable. They are:  Federation of North American Explorers (fneexplorers.com); Columbian Squires (kofc.org/un/en/squires); and Trail Life USA (traillifeusa.com), which has a National Catholic Committee in Front Royal, VA. "

Since he offers options for Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, it seems that he is aware.  And reads more carefully.

(Formatting weirdness un-intended)

You might be right. But why bring up the GSUSA since the letter is about the BSA? He is saying that the changes in the BSA make it now unacceptable to the Bishop, and here are some alternatives. By also listing the girl scouting alternatives, it implies that the BSA change also effects the GSUSA. Which is why I was wondering if he understood the difference. It is also why said it wasn't clear.

I thought it was also strange how the GSUSA got stuck in there. I am sure they realize it is two different organizations. I think it is just a case of poor writing/editing, i.e. you need to finish with one subject before you start another, otherwise everything gets all mixed up.

The Catholic Church is not very pleased with GSUSA for many reasons, so they took the opportunity to include them at the bottom as a concluding (and separate thought) when address overall alternatives to the scouting movement.

It's not Thomas Aquinas, but the reader could understand the train of thought.