The Seven Methods Of Scouting

I do not prefer viewing with alarm, but this is at least interesting.

One of my Scouts found this and emailed me a link.

". . . We achieve our aims through the methods of Scouting – 1) instilling the values of the Scout Oath & Law; 2) adult association through positive role models; 3) providing peer leadership opportunities; 4) goal setting and achievement; 5) uniforms, which give youth a sense of belonging to something bigger than themselves; 6) providing opportunities for service to others and 7) outdoor activities. These methods develop positive traits and outcomes. . ..

Wayne."

http://scoutingwire.org/scoutings-next-105-years-youth-guided-innovation/

"Wayne," in this case, as most will know,  is BSA's Chief Scout Executive.

I immediately looked for the BSA website I had consulted many times that lists the BSA AIms and Methods .

It still lists:

Ideals

Patrols

Outdoors

Advancement

Adult Association

Personal Growth

Leadership Development

Uniform 

This statement of eight methods is consistent with the current (2104) syllabus for Scoutmaster Position-Specific Training.

So I wonder, I wonder, I wonder, but do I really want to know?

I hope that we simply need to once again apply Hanlon's Razor.

Edited by TAHAWK

Well, thanks to these mobile devices. We're all thumbs.

But, I think there is this misconception that patrols are only relieve to to the outdoors.

I honestly don't see why STEM labs wouldn't apply the patrol method. A small cohesive group dedicated to uncovering the laws that govern the universe ... sounds like. Arrest way to learn.

Hmm... He left out patrol method but added "service", which of course is not really a change in practice, Scouts have been doing "service" from the beginning, but is not a separate item on the "official" list.

I also notice that "advancement" is not specifically mentioned, nor is "personal growth", maybe he is using "goal setting and achievement" to refer to both of those together.

At first I thought this might be some hybrid list that is meant to include only the methods that Boy Scouting, Cub Scouting and Venturing all have in common, but if that is true, for one thing, Uniform should not be on the list since it is not a method of Venturing.

Who among us would stop using the patrol method even if BSA took it out?

DO NOT GO THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've seen troops in the past, and am seeing one now, that does not use the Patrol Method. This despite the fact that multiple folks tried to smack the SM upside the head [figuratively, not literally (unfortunately ;)  ] with the importance of using the Patrol Method.

• Upvote 1

I've seen troops in the past, and am seeing one now, that does not use the Patrol Method. This despite the fact that multiple folks tried to smack the SM upside the head [figuratively, not literally (unfortunately ;)  ] with the importance of using the Patrol Method.

You can't take out something that wasn't there.

I'm talking about troops where the patrol method has been in place.

My battle in this area is well documented on this forum .... 

Dropping the patrol method is tantamount to tossing in the towel and going 100% adult-led and removal of leadership development as part of the program.  The last step to making BSA an adult-led, boy-managed, troop-program.

If this be the case, this will turn BSA into just another youth program that will need to compete along with all the rest.  

Dropping the patrol method is tantamount to tossing in the towel and going 100% adult-led and removal of leadership development as part of the program.  The last step to making BSA an adult-led, boy-managed, troop-program.

Well, he does still mention "leadership", though the actual phrase used, "providing peer leadership opportunities," is a little vague for my taste.

As I said before, I wouldn't worry about this for now. It is just something that was posted on the Internet. It does not necessarily have the "force of law" or mean that the official publications will be changing.

I have to admit, we weren't using the patrol method well if at all.  Our troop for most of that was in the 20 active scout range, with maybe 12 on a campout.  We could do ok with the troop method (troop being a sort of super-patrol).  We now have 34 scouts.  Troop method is not working for us, so we are in process of implementing the patrol method. Seems to be working fairly well, despite the learning curve. 

• Upvote 1