Trail to Campouts...2 deep?

The question always comes up...do you need two adults in a car going to a campout if the child of the driver is in the car?

That's the first, then the second...You have 3 members of your troop meeting up in an airport with another troop to complete the crew going to a high adventure base. The group of 3 is father (scouter) - son and another scout. They travel husband wife and two scouts to the airport where they get on a commercial air carrier and go to the airport where they are met by the rest of the crew and there are 3 or 4 adults already with that group. They then continue on to the Scout base from the airport.

So is the leg of the trip where the father son and scout in an airport full of security and other adults in plan sight and on the aircraft a violation of the no one on one contact or two deep rule? Can they travel in that manner or do they need to...

Have a second adult not going on the adventure travel with them then stay at a hotel for a week and be there to return with them so that the 2 deep is in tact.

I'm at a loss for how to do this. I have my opinions but would like to hear from others please HELP.

No, you do not need two adults in the car if you have more than 1 Scout. The trip to the airport is not a violation of YPT. The no one on one rule is covered by the presence of the 2nd Scout- it would be the same as meeting with a Merit Badge Counselor. Don't overthink it.

It is my understanding that if there are multiple boys and one driver, even if all the boys are not a son. It is okay. I have a van that seats 5 extra people and quite often I drive five boys to an outing while another adult drives the rest. Never be one-on-one with a boy. Any time one is in a public place with "witnesses" all around, you are okay to be with a group of boys without the two-deep. YPT is for the protection of the adult in my book. I never want some kid to have the opportunity to accuse without me having some kind of back up, either my son, a trusted scout or another adult.

Welcome to the forum!

Stosh

Give it the number of adults who will be there on overnights!

Be thankful that your crew isn't co-ed. It just gets hairier. (So much so, that I'm kind of relieved if young men and women just travel to location on their own.)

But how does it work with the Tour Permit? it needs two adults or it won't print.

There are at least two adults going on the camping trip, right? That should be fine for the tour permit (or whatever it is called now.) You seem to be treating the ride to camp as an "activity" that is separate from the camping trip itself.

• Upvote 1
But how does it work with the Tour Permit? it needs two adults or it won't print.

AS NJ said, the outing is the big thing, the end trip. Whichever two adults are going to be the two adults on the trip, just put them in form wherever it asks for the names of adults. Submit the plan, if it's reviewed and anyone has a question they'll call you.

It seems to me that questions like this come up so often, it would be a good idea for the BSA to come with a better and/or simpler way to explain this to unit Scouters. I am not sure what way that would be, but the fact that so many people seem to misunderstand the relationship between two-deep leadership and no-one-on-one - particularly (it seems) in the vehicle context - suggests that more needs to be done. I don't know whether we have heard from National's health and safety coordinator lately - hopefully he has not tired of the "welcome" he sometimes receives from some in this forum - but perhaps he would like to address that issue and tell us whether anything is "in the works" on this front.

I think the intent for "2 deep" is that when on an outing, if an adult has to take a scout (and his buddy) for medical care, there will be an adult with the group left behind. Then, as long as there is no "one on one contact", everything is fine until the adult returns or a second adult can join the group. Yes, you can have a meeting with one adult present (it's not an "outing") as long as more than one scout is also present.

YPT some times reminds me of this game http://www.plastelina.net/examples/games/game2.html

In the missionaries and cannibals problem, three missionaries and three cannibals must cross a river using a boat which can carry at most two people, under the constraint that, for both banks, if there are missionaries present on the bank, they cannot be outnumbered by cannibals (if they were, the cannibals would eat the missionaries). The boat cannot cross the river by itself with no people on board. And, in some variations, one of the cannibals has only one arm and cannot row.