Lantern – Propane vs. LED

I've been surprised how long the batteries in my LED lanterns last. I think you will be perfectly happy with LED. Not having to deal with broken glass or mantles is a huge plus. As a backup, I always bring with me a Luci lantern, which is a blow-up solar-powered lantern. They are only about $10 and they are great for backpacking too because they are so lightweight and compact.

A lot of what one deals with when purchasing lanterns such as these is the place where one is going to use it.

LED's work great as long as the battery lasts and in cold weather that time can be drastically reduced. Lithium batteries last a bit longer than regular batteries, but in cold weather have extra extra batteries and keep them warm.

Butane works down to freezing but becomes useless below that. Iso-Butane will get you down to 20-degrees, but below that one will need propane. Sunday morning it was 30-degrees when I woke up and the propane stove did work. Most lanterns run off the tank on the bottom and rely on vaporized fuel to run. If it doesn't vaporize, it isn't going to work. Propane tanks are highly pressurized and heavy to carry. Good luck with that on backpacking treks.

White/unleaded gas will work when the weather turns really cold. The generator needs to be preheated, but it will work. The storage tanks for white/unleaded gas do not require pressure, are made of aluminum and are better for backpacking.

I have a small white/unleaded gas lantern I use in all weather conditions and it is small enough for backpacking. The fuel works for both cooking and lighting.

If the only camping one is doing is warm weather, then the LED is the route to go. If one is into mountain/winter camping, they will need to rethink their options.

Stosh

The remote clicker you unlock your car with. I had to look up why they are called FOBs. Appears it has to do with attachments to the chain for a pocket watch or the pocket itself. Term also used in networking to refer to a security device.

Or in my Industry FREE ON BOARD (shipping term)