How do I explain this to a scout?

When my boy quit scouting at the Star rank, he was totally surprised to find out that I kept on going. :) I took a hiatus for a while when my schedule prohibited it (college, ministry), but when I got back in, I stayed. 40+ years as a registered scout/scouter. My son was for only 8 years a part of that tenure, 5 in Cubs and 3 in Scouts.

I've been an outdoors person my whole life, long before scouting and long after. :) Scouting just made it nicer to share with others.

And who many Scouters out there can stay they were instrumental in starting 44 new units? :) I'm working on #44 now.

Stosh

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Scout #1: Earns eagle at 14 and leaves the troop. Scout #2: Earns his eagle, but took a 3 year hiatus coming back only to get the rank. Scout #3: Earns whatever rank he wants, and stays active and

I'd rather have a great Life Scout than a good Eagle. BSA is WAY over-emphasizing Eagle. I have a son who is heavily engaged in the Troop and does a lot of stuff for others but he often falls behind o

I can totally see a small frame or plaque with the BSA logo, a nice mounted letter, and a small engraved plate with that quote. Just my thought, but I would stay away from The eagle logo. IMO, it

On the GSUSA side over half of our troop never "aged out" we just kept right on going. Many of us went into training and/or being leadership for other groups of girls who didn't have leadership available to them.

I foresee the same for my boys. I pray that when they reach 18 they have an idea of how they want to begin working on their future in Scouting. Some of my happiest memories were continuing to work with Scouting in the years between "aging out" and finally having a child old enough to join Cub Scouts.

We used to joke that Scouting was like "Hotel California". "You can check out any time you like...but you can never leave." ;)

• 2 months later...

I have seen SMs make kids like that JASMs and then ASMs if they turn 18 before they graduate. That might mean more to him than anything. Also, I hear H. Ross Perot is sympathetic to such plights. A kind note to him might get a letter in return for your Scout.

When I was a Scout, a good friend could not pass Life Saving due to a leg in a brace (polio) and so could not earn Eagle. Many more than 21 MB's. Went on every hike.

The SM and SPL got together, The SM then bought a new brass eagle for the top of out U.S. colors. In a suitable ceremony at Court of Honor, the SPL presented that Eagle from the top of the flag pole to the Scout as "Our Finest Eagle."

I know from conversations, that he treasures that eagle as much as anyone could treasure one of silver on a ribbon as it represented the love and respect of the Scouts of the Troop and the Scoutmaster who all knew his value as a Scout and a person. (No. There was not a dry eye in the house.)