Contacting the park service in advance of a trip.

Contacting the park service in advance of a trip.  

6 members have voted

1. 1.

• Never
    • Sometimes checked a website, if the weather forecast was questionable.
    • Always checked a website and called if warnings were posted.
    • Sometimes called for a ranger's report
    • Always called for a ranger's report

As mentioned one of the threads about destructive behavior, "park rangers cringe when they see scouts coming". This may or may not be true of the ranger nearest you. Idiots abound, and BSA only contributes to a portion of those. But, the fact is that a wilderness recreation area is much different than the wooded corner of a friend-of-the-troop's farm.

So, before your unit goes there, how often (and how) in the past year or so have you or your SPL/PL contacted the park service the week before you intended to make a trek there?

It may be self-serving, but the rangers will often give some good tips on things to see or avoid. As we have developed relationships with the rangers, it is an added dimension to the scouts respect for the park services. We have found relationships are beneficial to both parties. Sometimes (often) fees are waived for "service" or we are let into certain areas that may be generally restricted. So having the scouts keep in contact with the rangers is beneficial in all areas: safety, responsibility, and relationships

Since we file permits with the National Forest Service, I guess we always contact them in advance to warn them we are coming. We will also check the website, and postings on the boards at any trail heads. Around here there will be volunteers hiking the trails asking to see permits as well (I always make copies for each boy, so that any Scout can show a permit if asked).

Since when is checking a website...a substitute for actually making a person to person conversation..

now I might say kinda of a Substitute if Options are.

We Never/Sometime/Always we make Reservations online a week in Advance to ensure Campsite(s) for the Group..

simply Checking a website is not the same as Contacting..it makes you a speck on the visitor tally

Since when is checking a website...a substitute for actually making a person to person conversation..

now I might say kinda of a Substitute if Options are.

We Never/Sometime/Always we make Reservations online a week in Advance to ensure Campsite(s) for the Group..

simply Checking a website is not the same as Contacting..it makes you a speck on the visitor tally

A lot of our state parks can only be reached via website. Rangers offices closed on weekends.

Most campsites that we shoot for, traveling in groups of 10 or less, do not require reservations.

Some rangers are harder to contact than others. Often times my communication has been via messages left with the secretary who will let me know when rangers are due to report in and when I can call after that.