Customized cub uniforms....possible?

We have a council that has said no den dues allowed too.

Sorry - Not possible. Your BSA Council has no say in how a den is run financially. They can NOT dictate what can, or can not, be charged in dues at the Pack, or den, levels.

BSA units (Pack/Troop/Team/Crew/Ship) are OWNED by their Chartering Organizations (CO). The CO agrees to use the BSA program, but their financials are their own.

Bottom line - how would a council ever know what a Pack is charging for it's dues, much less a den?

Just silly.

Sorry - Not possible. Your BSA Council has no say in how a den is run financially. They can NOT dictate what can, or can not, be charged in dues at the Pack, or den, levels.

BSA units (Pack/Troop/Team/Crew/Ship) are OWNED by their Chartering Organizations (CO). The CO agrees to use the BSA program, but their financials are their own.

Bottom line - how would a council ever know what a Pack is charging for it's dues, much less a den?

Just silly.

I have a suspicion it is a CO or committee rule that is being blamed on Council.

Sort of like a troop requiring a filed uniform while traveling and saying it is an insurance requirement. It is a good idea and I support it, but not an insurance requirement.

Just silly.

Too funny about the Dues comment. It's all about the program and what people want to include and not include. My former Pack was $145 a year. That includes BL & Registration. If your a Webelos II then it's $100. Our CO doesn't contribute anything to us, not even a meeting space. Hence, we have to rent the school gym. That's about $800-1000 a year.

A Pack down the road is about $100 a year and they don't pay for room rental. Everyone is different.

So, yes a Council cannot dictate to you what you charge outside of the annual registration fee & Re-Charter Fee.

On the Uniform Bank: It is a great idea. Keep doing that. I made woggles for all the Scouts at the beginning of the year one time. I hated buying the $5 slide for each year. LAME! I told them that this Woggle will work from now on. They can take it to Boy Scouts with them and that to remind them what pack they came from. Big Ceremony. I had a Scout a year or so later that I saw at a Troop Meeting wearing his. He came up and showed me. The Scoutmaster later told me that he was very proud of that Woggle.

Having the same gear for each year sure makes sense to me.

Hats 4 years x $13 = $52

Necker and Slide = 4 x $12 = $48

You'd save $75 per scout over 5 years. Of course, Irving would miss their profit on that...

• Downvote 1

There is no REAL reason why the Pack cannot decide their own uniform details. The Cub Scout standard used to be ONE yellow necker , ONE blue hat, and ONE blue shirt thruout the Cub's career in CScouting. The different neckers, and hats and such was enacted for identification and $$$. It need not be the only way. I like the checkered necker story, that's real Scouting.

I have a collection of neckers from when I was a Scout, also wogggles and hats, given as rewards/souvenirs from camps and courses. Patches are getting boring.