Den Chief - PLUS older boy scout brothers

I have an "interesting" den this year. I have multiple older brothers in the den who are in boy scouts and those boys could often attend. I was thinking about "asking" that if they want to attend they are welcome, but that they should wear their boy scout shirts and that they would be serving at the direction of the den chief.

For example, we are doing the athlete pin. I'd like to see the adults planning and the den chiefs and boy scouts putting the cubs thru the push ups, pull ups, etc. Perhaps even doing them with the Webelos.

What do you think of this idea?

Here's a concept: why not have the boys do all of the planning? Adults arrange transport etc... Have the DL sit in the corner and tally advancement, or knit or something. Ask the boys if they are up for it and go from there.

Agree with KDD depends on the brother dynamic.....

That is not the way it should be.....you should present what is required to the den chief and he should plan how it is accomplished.

I assumed that the adults would provide the Bot Scouts with adequate instruction on what was expected.
Agree with KDD depends on the brother dynamic.....

That is not the way it should be.....you should present what is required to the den chief and he should plan how it is accomplished.

I would simply hand him the webelo book with the requirement and let him figure it out...

Why would he need guidance beyond that.

If they are attending as siblings, i.e. in civilian attire, they should be treated like any other siblings, they can participate at a second table and stay out of the way.

If they want to participate as scouts, they should be in uniform, the Den Chief should direct them, and they should help teach the younger Scouts. I think you are 100% on target. They should be paired with younger Scouts (NOT their brother) and helping teach/run it. Start introducing boy led. The Den Leader can slide back into a tracking achievement/supervisory role. Sounds like a great and controlled opportunity to give the boys some boy-run experience, even if it is still adult led (i.e. adult picks the activity, and starts it off). But absolutely, if you have Scouts there, they should be Scouts, not siblings.

Making them put the uniform on might also help them take it seriously.

If they don't want to do that, offer them a box of crayons and some coloring paper like I do with my 3 year old. :)