ACLU Re-Defines itself!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Familar? if you are concerned about if I am someone else why don't you simply ask whoever monitors the website to check my personal info I gave when I joined.

You mean only 2 people have the same or simular convictions I might?

Most people do not waste their time throwing pearls to swine.

Besides, you rather insult me than discuss the homework I did. I respected other peoples dislike to my post so I thought enough of them to do my home work. Oh well

Oh I do appreciate the homework you did! With your reminder of all the accomplishments and great work the ACLU has done and continues to do, I plan to make a contribution and renew my membership, something I've not done since college.

Jason,

I'm just curious which part of this you disagree with or find to be un-American?

http://www.aclu.org/about/aboutmain.cfm

The ACLU is our nations guardian of liberty. We work daily in courts, legislatures and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to every person in this country by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Our job is to conserve Americas original civic values - the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

The American system of government is founded on two counterbalancing principles:

that the majority of the people governs, through democratically elected representatives;

that the power even of a democratic majority must be limited, to ensure individual rights.

Majority power is limited by the Constitutions Bill of Rights, which consists of the original ten amendments ratified in 1791, plus the three post-Civil War amendments (the Thirteenth, Fourteenth and Fifteenth) and the Nineteenth Amendment (womens suffrage), adopted in 1920.

The mission of the ACLU is to preserve all of these protections and guarantees:

Your First Amendment rights-freedom of speech, association and assembly. Freedom of the press, and freedom of religion supported by the strict separation of church and state.

Your right to equal protection under the law - equal treatment regardless of race, sex, religion or national origin.

Your right to due process - fair treatment by the government whenever the loss of your liberty or property is at stake.

Your right to privacy - freedom from unwarranted government intrusion into your personal and private affairs.

We work also to extend rights to segments of our population that have traditionally been denied their rights, including Native Americans and other people of color; lesbians, gay men, bisexuals and transgendered people; women; mental-health patients; prisoners; people with disabilities; and the poor.

If the rights of societys most vulnerable members are denied, everybodys rights are imperiled.

The ACLU was founded by Roger Baldwin, Crystal Eastman, Albert DeSilver and others in 1920. We are nonprofit and nonpartisan and have grown from a roomful of civil liberties activists to an organization of nearly 400,000 members and supporters. We handle nearly 6,000 court cases annually from our offices in almost every state.

The ACLU has maintained the position that civil liberties must be respected, even in times of national emergency. The ACLU is supported by annual dues and contributions from its members, plus grants from private foundations and individuals. We do not receive any government funding.

TP -- I don't hate him. I don't know him so how can I know him? (Although he claims to have me figured out. I'm just like he was before he found God. No wait, today I'm a Communist. We'll see what labels this post brings.) I don't think I've written anything hateful to or about him. I have ridiculed what he has written, that due primarily to the fact that I find much of it ridiculous.

I admit to having a very large suspicion of anyone who thinks they have All The Answers. Debating people like that is futile. Responding point-for-point is only going to bring a flood of off-target quotes and articles that have little bearing on the discussion. "Facts" are facts only if they fit their view. I've found that the best way to deal with them is with sarcasm and by poking fun at their arguments. They will never change their mind, but maybe others will see the folly in their position.

Secondly, I don't like rude people, and we seem to have gained a couple of them here recently. Passion and enthusiasm don't excuse rudeness. I particularly don't like people who join a group (in person or virtually) and immediately start trash talking and name calling. Take the time to learn little bit about the people in the group before trashing them.

And finally, I don't like having to read poorly written drivel. Either learn to craft a coherent paragraph or stick to the chat rooms. And if you can't synthesize an original thought don't post some long article and expect me to divine your argument from it for you.

Twocubdad,

Get off my back. Do not insult my grammer or writing style either. Besides, I have been a busy boy posting. You are right, facts are facts. So why must you refuse confirmation....confirm them....and then tell me why you can not accept them.

I also do not agree with Affirmative Action.

Just out of curiousity.......someone remind me what all of this has to do with scouting? I hope Scouter Terry doesn't have to shut the Issues and Politics forum down again for a cooling off period.

While I'm sure that most scouters have strong personal feelings when it comes to religion and politics; I would certainly hope we don't sit around the campfire and bad mouth or promote Republicans, Democrats, conservatives, liberals, the ACLU, various religions, etc. to the boys.

Guest OldGreyEagle

There's a calm surrender

To the rush of day

When the heat of the rolling world

Can be turned away

An enchanted moment

And it sees me through

It's enough for this restless warrior

Just to be with you

(Chorus)

And can you feel the love tonight?

It is where we are

It's enough for this wide-eyed wanderer

That we got this far

And can you feel the love tonight

How it's laid to rest?

It's enough to make kings and vagabonds

Believe the very best

There's a time for everyone

If they only learn

That the twisting kaleidoscope

Moves us all in turn

There's a rhyme and reason

To the wild outdoors

When the heart of this star-crossed voyager

Beats in time with yours

(Chorus)

And can you feel the love tonight?

It is where we are

It's enough for this wide-eyed wanderer

That we got this far

And can you feel the love tonight

How it's laid to rest?

Believe the very best

Believe the very best

SR540Beaver,

He might have to. Every time I tell myself "That is the last time I post about that subject." I find I have to take all the knives out of my back. I have to get up off the ground. I have to stop letting them sucker punch me in the back of the head. It feels like I'm back on the play ground. The "Bully" & his "Toadies" won't back off. I never backed down then and I won't do it now.