Scouts no longer wear the Scout Uniform!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, from the Cheap seats!

So, there really are troops out there that wear the actual full and complete Class"A" or Class"B" or Class"C" uniform every time and for the full duration of any and all Scouting activities?

Haven't seen even a whole Patrol in such (in the full and complete sense) yet. In or out of council. Now I have worn, and my son has worn, and have seen other individuals wear for "Events", but...

I love the uniform. Wear it whenever it is appropriate. And whoever stated it starts at the top with the SM being in uniform was absolutely correct. But we need to remember, owning a uniform is not a requirement to be a member of the BSA. I think it should be.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Getting the boys to wear the uniform - I can handle that. Now, pray tell, as Scoutmaster, how do I get the Troop Committee to wear the uniform?

At summer camp, I had a Scout, fourth year of camp, Star Scout, refuse to wear his uniform upon departure because none of the adults committee members do. Well, the Committee Chair usually does but during most BORs I say that there is only a 50% chance that at least one adults on the board is wearing their uniform. Sad.

We wear the complete uniform at any event where it is appropriate. We also wear true class bs, (meaning scout shorts, socks and a scout t-shirt). It's amazing how many think class b means "wear anything you want".

How'd we get hear? Well, as stated, it starts from the top. I (SM) and the ASMs do a pretty good modeling the behavior. I've noticed that as the ASMs slip, so do the boys. It also required a fair amount of heavy-handed adult-leadership in the early days when our troop was formed (4-5 years ago). Now, however, it's very much driven by the PLC. Here are two examples from summer camp this week.

On Sunday, the waterfront was behind on swim checks. Our guide told us that they'd do it after dinner. He told the boys (in front of them all) that they should wear their swimming trunks to dinner with their class A shirts, and then just go straight to the waterfront for the test. The PLC met and decided that the boys should wear their uniform shorts over their swim trunks. Now, a few of them stuck out of the bottom, making an unusual fashion statement, but overall they looked good.

Second, they did the flag ceremony for Tuesday morning. At breakfast, the camp requires class B uniforms (remember my earlier definition). Of course, our color guard wore class As (head to toe), but the PLC also decided that the whole troop should go in full uniform to support the boys doing the flag ceremony. I wasn't even in camp that day, so I had nothing to do with it. You should have heard the accolades they received from other leaders. They were very proud.

So, yes, you can have a well-uniformed troop and not be completely driven by adults. But it does take some strong coaching and example setting if you are going to do it.

Sorry I don't have a library of references to use yet but... as the thread was about proper uniforming...

Aren't Class A the full dress uniform merit badge sashes and all? The full ceremonial uniform.

Class B essentially the same w/o the sash and any medals except Woodbadge is allowed? The traveling uniform and "in-house" ceremonial uniform

And then Class C moves to the BSA activity shirt or unit T-shirt, still with BSA shorts or Trousers? The camping, "working" public service, or other activity uniform.

And then we move into the "modified" uniforms we seem to use more prevalently which irritated someone enough to start the thread?

Or am I misinformed again, always a possibility at this stage! :)

And again I ask, Does anyone actually wear the uniform correctly all of the time?(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

The terms class a", b", c, etc. are defined solely by the person using the term. Thus your class a including sash and medals may be different than somebodys elses a which may be nothing more than a uniform shirt, green walmart pants, and sweatsocks. The a, b, c terms apparently were used in the military, and had clear definitions there. BSA does not use those terms, thus there is no universal definition, which makes the terms basically meaningless.

The Boy Scout Handbook defines the uniform, and the Uniform Inspection Sheet has some additional details.

Gunny,

I'll point you to the BSA Uniform and Insignia Guide, BSA Supply No. 33066. It's a buy item, as opposed to a free or bin item.

The PC terms are Field Uniform (many local Councils and units use Class A as common usage) and Activity Uniform (Class B):

The essential elements of the Field/A uniform:

Scout Socks

BSA Pants/shorts

BSA Belt

BSA shirt with patches correctly placed

BSA Neckerchief/Slide (slide is always a users choice item)

BSA Hat/Cap

Above the essential elements come items such as OA sashes, MB sashes, items the local Council mandates (OA Coup thongs, other Honor society coup thongs), and/or dead berets, dead overseas caps...

The essential elements of the Activity/B uniform:

Scout Socks

BSA Pants/shorts

BSA Belt

Appropriate shirt (anything from the BSA Polo to a staff T-shirt to a Troop T-shirt)

Appropriate headgear for the activity (a baseball cap doesn't make sense on a 20 mile bike ride... a helmet meeting Snell/ANSI standards is called for)

I'll leave my usual rantings about quality/fit/finish of uniform articles for another thread. I hope this gives you a 1/world understanding.

YIS.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I didn't drag my own military past into this one! I dragged someone else's, ;) Here's the reference: http://www.mninter.net/~blkeagle/abcd.htm

Thanks for giving me the correct reference!

And still the question - Does anyone actually wear the uniform correctly all of the time?

I'm trying. ::->

I can cover a weekend but, with only one pair of Switchbacks the whole summer camp period clearly didn't go that way, in addition to not having had time to build up an inventory of Scouting related T-shirts yet. Wore my D.A.R.E. camp shirt, and other similar items for the Activity/B uniform when I ran out of Scouting items since laundry was a problem. Remember, new guy still well under 90 days. Buying it as I can for the boy and myself.

The "Official" terms for the Scout uniform are:

Official Uniform

Activity Uniform

The Official uniform is defined on page 12 of the Boy Scout Handbook. There are 4 parts to it - Scout shirt, Scout pants (long or short), Scout socks, Scout belt. The neckerchief and hat are optional.

The Activity uniform is a Troop or camp t-shirt with Scout pants (long or short), or other appropriate attire. (BSA Handbook, page 13).

This was addressed in a question (below) in the May-June 2006 issue of Scouting Magazine:

Question:

Saluting in uniform

In addition to the official Class A Scout uniform, the BSA also has a Class B uniformofficial Scout pants or shorts with a troop or camp T-shirt. My question regards protocol during flag ceremonies: Should a Scout use the Scout salute while in a Class B uniform or place his right hand over his heart?

Christopher Dillon

Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 24

Bloomsburg, Pa.

Answer:

First, when referring to uniforms, Class A and Class B are military terms that are not used in the BSA. The correct Scouting terms for the two versions of the uniform are "official uniform" and "activity uniform." Although less formal, the activity uniform is still considered an official uniform, and therefore it is appropriate for boys to use the Scout salute while wearing it during a flag ceremony.

http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/

Well, I'm still learning to use this site... but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents-worth in.

I'm a big fan of the KISS principle. So while some folks might bring up rules, regulations, lamentations, etc, I think it comes down to this: it's a matter of pride and self-respect.

Yeah, I'm old school. When I was coming up through the ranks in the 80s, I was fortunate to be in a troop that had a long history; and scouting spirit was a big part of that. But the world has changed. Parents don't always have the time or energy to fight the mass-marketing our kids are constantly force-fed. All you need to do is look at all the kids as you pick 'em up and drop 'em off at school or summer camp to see the baggies, visible boxer shorts and whatever else they want to/are allowed to wear.

Fortunately- as Scouters, we are in a position to help with this.

There ARE uniform codes, and they're there for a reason. Scouting is an ORGANIZATION with certain codes of conduct, rules, and expectations. It is our obligation as leaders and parents to get our children to feel that they belong to something very special; and wearing the uniform goes a long way towards that goal.

And before I'm accused of being a member of the Uniform Police, let me say that I think each pack/troop needs to set their own uniform requirements based on their own personality. The key is that there needs to be SOME set of standards! If the pack/troop only wants to do class-Bs, so be it. They need to recognize that they may look out of place when in the presence of other packs/troops; but a pack/troop all in matching class-Bs will still look better than a pack/troop in varying states of class-A dress.

Personally, I think we should be doing everything we can to get our scouts to not only wear the uniform, but to wear it in public--properly--whenever the occasion calls for it. I was recently asked to join my step-son's Pack as an Asst Cubmaster next year. (They invited me to a committee meeting to "get more involved" and then ambushed me.) The first thing I did was go out and buy a complete uniform. All my patches & pins were transferred off my scout uniform in storage, and now I'm all set to start my new position on the right foot. "Lead by example."

And for us it should ALWAYS be about leadership and setting an example. I hope I will be able to help the fledgling scouts in my Pack learn to view scouting as the great experience that I knew it as. That means setting standards- which includes expectations of the scouts AND their parents. If that means setting up a uniform bank for those less fortunate, I don't see a problem with that.

We need to remember that the uniform helps symbolize what scouting should mean. It demonstrates to those NOT in scouting that we are a part of an organization with a long, proud history; and reminds those of us IN scouting to be mindful of the responsibility.

Down here in Florida, at least amoung the OA Lodges, what John-in-KC says of Class A & B is pretty much followed, except that Class B is always with scout shorts. You can quickly switch from A to B by just removing your scout uniform shirt (which is usually always worn over a scout t-shirt).

Adding medals/sashes to class A makes it a formal or dress uniform, and is only done for formal events like court of honors, etc.

I first learned these terms when I went to Jamboree in 1981, and certainly amoung most arrowmen in Florida, these are the terms followed.

Usually you hear of 'class C', which is usually a short t-shirt with jeans for really grubby work or 'class z' for anything goes for really really grubby work.

Gunny,

I didn't have enough uniforms to get me all the way through Scout Camp for my first several years. I know members of my Council Executive Board who go to camp for a full session: They don't wear BSA shorts every day. For that matter, one of our Reservation Rangers routinely wears Carhartt pants and work boots... he's out maintaining property.

Now, the card-carriers of the UP will rail, but the various outfitters (REI, Cabelas, Bass Pro) have green shorts that are a 90% solution, particularly when you need a lot of them in a hurry.

Uniform is a METHOD of Scouting, not a tool of military command, as we are both used to. Do your best, keep striving, and enjoy the Scouting journey!

Gunny, to answer your question, I do wear a "Class A" uniform at all Scout functions. Hat, Shirt (long or shortsleeve--depending on weather), Switchbacks, socks, and ALWAYS a neckerchief, although I do have 3 bolo ties I traded for in the 80's from USCG Cape Cod Air Station Troop 45. Try e-bay for experienced uni's on the cheap. You can also find new "irregular" goods for half of new cost. I have noticed a difference in uniforming with the advent of the Switchbacks.

Its not necessary for a Boy Scout to wear a Boy Scout uniform ALL the time. It should be worn when it is appropriate to wear it. As the Handbook says, wear it for troop meetings, courts of honor, and indoor activities, and special outdoor occasions like flag ceremonies and special times at summer camp.

My son has served on the Philmont OA Trail Crew for 3 years. What kind of uniform do you suppose those boys wear while cutting logs, moving 400 pound boulders into place, and cutting grade with a pick and mcleod? They dont complain that uniform shirt is poor quality or the pants are binding in the crotch, or the neckerchief gets in the way. They wear Carhartt bib overalls, leather gloves, heavy boots with 2 pairs of wool socks, and a hardhat.

Those of us that care about the uniform (derogatorily referred to as card-carrying members of the uniform police) advocate wearing appropriate clothing for the occasion at hand. We dont encourage outfitter clothes as a substitute for the uniform. Wear the outfitter clothes for trail building, rock climbing, backpacking, maintaining property, and garbage can cleaning. Save your good uniform for uniform specific occasions.